Show me your sheep rig

Decker9

WKR
Very nice. Did you get the barrel/action Cerekoated? Looks like some wet conditions you were in.

Yeah I had it all cerekoated a flat black after the barrel chop and fluting, it’s held up better then my home paint job on the stock lol.
That was indeed a pretty soggy day, it definetly tested me. That was day 9 of a solo backpack stone hunt, my 10th season, first ram for myself and the rifle.

The .270 Kimber MA is quickly becoming my go to mountain rifle. I like just about everything about it except the camo patterned stock. The stock itself is nice and I like the “soft” feel but I hate the crappy camo job. So far only one sheep has been taken with it, but hopefully that will change in the near future.
9b4c20ed7b4a6ece611903ee45437dd9.jpg

3ee391d0c20650dad006140dd4ae6d91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gonna give this a shot this year. It’s a TC Encore in 7mm-08 with a 20” barrel from Match Grade Machine. Total length is 34-1/4”. Scoped it’ll weigh somewhere around 6-1/2 lbs. If I swap stocks and flute the barrel I’ll be under 6 lbs easily. Best part, I have under $800 into the gun.

4LneMnD.jpg

The main reason for the swap 👇🏼

The .270 she shot her bear and caribou with.
wpK4aWq.jpg

qWit85I.jpg

And yes those are hunting pajamas 😂

OP
O
Yeah I had it all cerekoated a flat black after the barrel chop and fluting, it’s held up better then my home paint job on the stock lol.
That was indeed a pretty soggy day, it definetly tested me. That was day 9 of a solo backpack stone hunt, my 10th season, first ram for myself and the rifle.

10 seasons before a ram! That is perseverance man congrats. I am heading into my 3rd season (second as a shooter) and am really hoping this is the year. Am cancelling all my deer and elk hunts so I can spend all my hunting credit time from the wife in the sheep hills. 9 days is a long time to make decisions alone. Were you biv wack hunting or base camp?

OP
O
The .270 Kimber MA is quickly becoming my go to mountain rifle. I like just about everything about it except the camo patterned stock. The stock itself is nice and I like the “soft” feel but I hate the crappy camo job. So far only one sheep has been taken with it, but hopefully that will change in the near future.
9b4c20ed7b4a6ece611903ee45437dd9.jpg

3ee391d0c20650dad006140dd4ae6d91.jpg

Those are some great animals for that rifle to own. Trout I have toyed with the MA but don't know anyone with one. A few questions if you don't mind. Is the action rough like the hunter? Does the pencil barrel throw rounds after heating badly? Do you find it difficult to shoot being light as it is?

OP
O
Gonna give this a shot this year. It’s a TC Encore in 7mm-08 with a 20” barrel from Match Grade Machine. Total length is 34-1/4”. Scoped it’ll weigh somewhere around 6-1/2 lbs. If I swap stocks and flute the barrel I’ll be under 6 lbs easily. Best part, I have under $800 into the gun.

4LneMnD.jpg

The main reason for the swap 👇🏼

The .270 she shot her bear and caribou with.
wpK4aWq.jpg

qWit85I.jpg

And yes those are hunting pajamas 😂

That's an interesting setup. The single shot definitely saves you on the overall length and the vertical grip is a lot easier for young shooters to work with IMO. I assume that is the bear on the fireplace?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's an interesting setup. The single shot definitely saves you on the overall length and the vertical grip is a lot easier for young shooters to work with IMO. I assume that is the bear on the fireplace?
17” wolf skull from 2017.

Those are some great animals for that rifle to own. Trout I have toyed with the MA but don't know anyone with one. A few questions if you don't mind. Is the action rough like the hunter? Does the pencil barrel throw rounds after heating badly? Do you find it difficult to shoot being light as it is?

I’ve never handled a Hunter, so I can’t speak to that, but the action’s definitely not as smooth as your Tikka. I think that’s somewhat just the nature of the beast when comparing push feeds to CRF’s. My Win. model 70’s feed a little better than my Kimbers, but still not as smooth as the Tikka or Rem. model 700’s I’ve had. I have a T3 Lite in 7-08 that was going to be my sons sheep rifle but it’s over a pound heavier than the MA, and he shoots the MA equally as well as the T3.
The barrel will definitely heat up, after about 4-5 rounds shot fairly close together, and will start sending fliers, but if you let it cool down for a few minutes after every 3rd round, it will stay pretty tight. It’s easy a sub moa rifle, if I do my part, and fortunately I’ve never had any problems shooting light rifles. The muzzle brake really does help with barrel flip, and although I’ve never shot it without the brake, I have had/have other Kimber’s (Montana’s), without brakes and the recoil/muzzle flip was significantly greater.

bradb

WKR
Nice to watch this thread as I make my choice for my fall Dall, grizz, moose hunt in the Yukon. Either carry a bit more weight and take my 300 norma at about 10lbs(not done yet), mid/light weight 280 AI, or light weight Kimber 300wsm

Nice to watch this thread as I make my choice for my fall Dall, grizz, moose hunt in the Yukon. Either carry a bit more weight and take my 300 norma at about 10lbs(not done yet), mid/light weight 280 AI, or light weight Kimber 300wsm

My vote would be for the .300wsm Kimber. I’ve been fortunate enough to have taken all of those species (some multiple), with my Montana, also chambered in .300wsm.

Decker9

WKR
10 seasons before a ram! That is perseverance man congrats. I am heading into my 3rd season (second as a shooter) and am really hoping this is the year. Am cancelling all my deer and elk hunts so I can spend all my hunting credit time from the wife in the sheep hills. 9 days is a long time to make decisions alone. Were you biv wack hunting or base camp?

Hahaha, yeah I certainly put in my time, around 90 nights in a tent altogether before finding my first ram, 6 fly in hunts and 4 hike/backpack. I was raised goat hunting, but sheep hunting, was new to both my dad and I, you could say we’r self taught sheep hunters. Last season tho, my dad had to work, so I went solo with my dog. It was all backpack, my pack was pushing 70lbs going in, but heavier coming out! Lol.

Good luck to you this upcoming season!! It’s an amazing feeling, gripping a set of your own sheep horns :)
I’ll attach the link to the story with photos here from my sheep hunt, feel free to give it a read if you like.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AnjVmOetZTayfjvA5KCKmtElyfA

It has been my observation over the years that resident hunters in AK (and likely Canada) that have dedicated mountain guns tend to gravitate towards the shorter/lighter end of the spectrum. What I've seen in the field of late seems like lots of Kimbers and a fair number of Tikka's, mostly with lighter mid-range scopes. I'd say Leupold has historically been the main choice. In the pre-Kimber era, I would say mountain rifles were most commonly Remingtons, and of course there are still plenty of 700's and 700 clones about.

There are also plenty of people just using whatever they happen to have. I carried a Ruger 77 for a number of hunts, and it marked up a couple sheep.

Non-residents by and large seem to follow the sportsman show trends a little more and in my un-scientific observations carry larger guns with much larger scopes. 10+ years ago, I saw a surprising amount of RUM's and other big magnums (STW, etc) in the guide camps but that then seemed to morph into Gunwerks type rifles more recently. The 7 LRM was a thing for at least one year. I don't spend as much time around guide camps as I used too, but 26" barrels and turrets are probably the norm at this point.

Those are broad generalizations perhaps, but that's what I've noticed. I know of some residents carrying full customs and more rarely the heavier LR stuff, but I can only recall ever seeing one non-resident carrying a Kimber in the field.

I'd like to think the next innovation in sheep rifles is going to be a truly light folding chassis stock set up. Being able to shorten the package has some appeal. I'm also surprised I haven't seen a picture of a sheep taken by an AR yet, although I'm sure it's happened.

OP
O
I'm 6'2".
ZgTQYC1.jpg

This is her bear.
xVoD2gi.jpg
Beauty thanks for sharing. That is a once in a lifetime wolf. Did you get him on the scale? I bet he is close to the 150 range. Also congrats to your daughter on the brown bear.

Last edited:
OP
O
Hahaha, yeah I certainly put in my time, around 90 nights in a tent altogether before finding my first ram, 6 fly in hunts and 4 hike/backpack. I was raised goat hunting, but sheep hunting, was new to both my dad and I, you could say we’r self taught sheep hunters. Last season tho, my dad had to work, so I went solo with my dog. It was all backpack, my pack was pushing 70lbs going in, but heavier coming out! Lol.

Good luck to you this upcoming season!! It’s an amazing feeling, gripping a set of your own sheep horns :)
I’ll attach the link to the story with photos here from my sheep hunt, feel free to give it a read if you like.

Thanks for sharing I will have a read. Yea 70lbs would hurt but necessary if you want to eat... I am planning a fly in stone/goat hunt in BC in the next two years with my brother in law so may hit you up for some advice before then.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beauty thanks for sharing. That is a once in a lifetime wolf. Did you get him on the scale? I bet he is close to the 250 range. Also congrats to your daughter on the brown bear.
Since it's your thread I don't feel too bad derailing further :)

After packing him out whole to do a better job skinning, I would have easily said 150 lb range. On the scale, he was 130 lbs if I remember correctly. This wolf was spot and stalk, shot off of a moose they had killed less than 24 hours prior and he was FULL of moose meat.

That bear will always be so special to me. We spent countless nights the year prior trying to get her a bear. When it finally came together, she dropped it in its tracks. She was more calm and collected than I was after the shot.

OP
O
Awesome story and congrats! I love the two pics of Bean at the end when she's laying down exhausted, I can relate!

The pic of everything dangling off pack like a Gypsy is priceless. Did you make it back to the truck with everything? Tough break on hitting the gut sack. I have been lucky so far but process enough animals and it is probably just a matter of time before we take that bath.