Show off Your Flintlock

I have for a long time been a flintlock shooter, anyone from PA knows it’s tradition here. Just wanted to reach out to see if anyone wants to post their gun, as some have some history. Classic, customs or grandpas old hand me down let’s see it with the backstory.

For a long I told myself I wanted a flintlock to hand down so this one the story starts with me. I had this one made by Ron Luckenbill in north central PA. The cross was my mother’s and the thumb plate was designed by my wife. As good as it looks it usually gains a scratch or two each year out in the woods. I named it the Legacy Rifle and hope that a few generations down the road it’s still out there each season.

1589080465147.jpeg

1589080493933.jpeg

1589080522304.jpeg

1589080549531.jpeg

Last edited:

bbell

WKR
I have tried to post a pic keep having issues. I have a Tip Curtis French fowler in 20ga. I enjoy shooting the flintlock. Got a turkey with it the other year which was cool

87TT

WKR
I have a .45 cal that I got as a CVA caplock kit I think back 35 some years ago. I converted it to flint by swapping barrels and locks with a guy back then. I was out of the BP shooting for like 30 years but took it back up recently. I am currently waiting on a .50 cal Southern Mountain Rifle parts kit and am going to try building one. Here is the old gun.
IMG_1812 Barrel flame crp.jpg

Anvil69

WKR
My dad bought this one in the early 80’s from Dixie gun works which is what’s stamped on it, so it’s not a custom gun just a plain production one. He used it to hunt and for rendezvous. I remember shooting it as a kid but haven’t tried it since he died 7 years ago. I drew a mule deer tag in New Mexico this year and was thinking of using it instead of my inline. But dad said the barrel was shot out so I don’t know. Either way it has a lot of meaning for me would be cool to take something with it.

73B9E53A-9879-4224-B114-E35BABA5FC16.jpeg

OP
Jagger0502
My dad bought this one in the early 80’s from Dixie gun works which is what’s stamped on it, so it’s not a custom gun just a plain production one. He used it to hunt and for rendezvous. I remember shooting it as a kid but haven’t tried it since he died 7 years ago. I drew a mule deer tag in New Mexico this year and was thinking of using it instead of my inline. But dad said the barrel was shot out so I don’t know. Either way it has a lot of meaning for me would be cool to take something with it.

View attachment 180255

That’s a cool gun. What Cal is it? If it’s a 45 or 50 you should be able to have it re-bored from a 45 to a 50 or from a 50 to a 54cal. Or even have a new barrel fitted for it. Someday I will draw an elk tag and will be taking my 54 out for one... and hope that someday my kids and grandkids do the same with it.

brownth2

FNG
Seeing the post about tracking deer in two feet of snow, being from Michigan I can relate. I used to only do late season muzzleloader. Blackpowder is my first love, all other shooting comes after. For the record: I think it's a shame that traditional muzzleloaders don't have their own deer season here in Michigan. Seems there are so few traditionalists left. That being said, my flinter of choice is a DGW .50 cal from probably the 70's-80's. Found it in a pawn shop and paid $300 about 10 years ago. Had some lock problems, and the stock was a little too short. I added some leather spacers, order about trigger sear spring in the Dixie catalog, and then did some filing. With new springs, jewelers rouge, and some dremeling the rear trigger is right around 1/2lb. Stripped down the stock and refinished with many coats of Tung oil. And of course, I can't find a picture of it.

Mines just a stick Lyman Great Plains Hunter 50 that I bought used last year. No story behind it but hopefully it helps keep me in the woods and the freezer full. Took my first doe with it this February in NE Pa.

Attachments

• FB1F8681-98EB-4E49-BA72-52D3698C069C.jpeg
    FB1F8681-98EB-4E49-BA72-52D3698C069C.jpeg
    571.2 KB · Views: 37
  • EDB995EF-4D13-4B7A-9E75-B608A038737C.jpeg
    EDB995EF-4D13-4B7A-9E75-B608A038737C.jpeg
    604.4 KB · Views: 37
OP
Jagger0502
Mines just a stick Lyman Great Plains Hunter 50 that I bought used last year. No story behind it but hopefully it helps keep me in the woods and the freezer full. Took my first doe with it this February in NE Pa.

Looks like there is at least one story behind it now! Nice job. My brother has one of those and they are a great shooter.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
It's pretty cool there's other flintlock guys here too. I almost assumed I was the only one. It's such a great community of builders and families. If anyone is really interested Dixons gun fair is a must see in southern Pa. Here is a few of the ones I've built.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    534.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    504.6 KB · Views: 28
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 28
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 28
OP
Jagger0502
It's pretty cool there's other flintlock guys here too. I almost assumed I was the only one. It's such a great community of builders and families. If anyone is really interested Dixons gun fair is a must see in southern Pa. Here is a few of the ones I've built.

Those are some good looking guns. Nice job. Where and when are they doing the Dixon’s gun fair at in southern Pa? And are they still having it this year?

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
Those are some good looking guns. Nice job. Where and when are they doing the Dixon’s gun fair at in southern Pa? And are they still having it this year?

Thanks, I love building as much as shooting. It's july 24-26 in Kempton, https://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/. I have no idea what the plan is this year, but for myself I'll be skipping it most likely. Bums me out bad but it is what it is. I buy my wood there from Dunlaps but the phone will be king this summer.

Clarence

WKR
Awesome thread guys! Some beautiful rifles you fellas have. My Lyman deerstalker isn't in this league! Really happy Pa still has the dedicated flintlock season. Thanks all for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk