Show Off Your Tikka T3/T3X Groups

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I don’t think you understand my post and your example punctuates my presumption. Are you bummed that your car doesn’t fly…..or float? Context matters. Use case should dictate. Period.

Ten is completely arbitrary. A 30 Nosler at max pressure will be totally different than softly loaded 223. A fluted featherweight barrel will be different than a #5 or a Sendero or a ….start mixing and matching cartridges and contours. Again, context and use case.

In terms of correction factor, it’s only relatively to the number you’re trying to compare. And just like how 10 is arbitrary, 30 is also arbitrary. If you are unfamiliar with statistics, the correction factor may lead you down the wrong path. Context.

Now your just talking out the side of you mouth. A fully functional rifle should have a properly stress relieved barrel. Period. Hard stop. Anything else such as a hot barrel walking. is the rifle not functioning to its correct ability. Period. Hard stop. It up to the user if it matters that much to them if they want to use equipment that isnt performing as intended. But to say its ok due to its intended use is wrong. It was not designed that way and no rifle maker or barrel maker worth their salt will agree a hot walking barrel is correct and performing as designed.

To just quote Form that he posted after you that brian litz agrees with.
"highly predictive information of group size and MPI starts somewhere around ten rounds and keeps jumping up until somewhere around thirty rounds then leveling off after."

*reads title of the thread expecting to see pics of 10 shot groups*
*scrolls through four pages of 3 shot groups and arguing* (okay a couple of you actually posted 10 shot groups)

I supposed I'll continue the trend with the intent that next time I have my Tikka out I'll shoot a 10 shot group and take a picture...maybe I'll even post it :p

There's actually a separate thread for that (not sure if OP used the search feature before starting this one) that mentions 10 shot groups in the title. It's worth a visit if 10 shots are your jam-- https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/show-your-tikka-ten-round-groups.172391/

I guess as long as we're talking 10-shot hot barrel groups, here's mine from today. Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5CM with factory Hornady Match (140gr ELD-M). Not an all-day every day MOA gun; I'm still pretty happy with 1.165 MOA with factory ammo, though. I gave my Tikka its first good cleaning since I got it in March (maybe 600 rounds ago?) and fired 10 shots to get into the groove, let cool, then fired these 10 over the course of 5 minutes:

Attachments

• 241439714_280493963555623_5521609794414104329_n.jpg
    241439714_280493963555623_5521609794414104329_n.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 38

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
What am I talking out the side of my mouth about? Let’s be specific, because you seem to be having an argument with yourself, LOL.

The argument for 10-round groups has drifted all over. For quite sometime on this forum it was stated or implied by some that you need 10 or 20 for a good zero. Well, that’s obviously not the case for all shooters and all equipment. Maybe it’s needed for tikkas 🤷‍♂️ 😆

Now you’re saying that 10 consecutive rounds will show whether or not a barrel is stress relieved, LOL. Go on, let’s hear more. Is this from a #1 contour 300 Rum at max or a sendero contour 223? Summer in southern Texas or winter in northern North Dakota? What’s the cycle rate need? GTFO 😆. If that were the true end goal then round count would obviously be highly variable.

Then Formi implies that ten is for efficiency based on how mfg’s package a product, LOL. Anyone that is halfway serious about shooting is buying or loading in bulk. Packaging is not a factor.

Also, in case you didn’t read the previously linked posts, the two 20-round total, single round group aggregates that I posted were shot with no cooling other than mag changes. It’s not like I haven’t done it many many times. The absolute fact is that when establishing a baseline, data matters, but not individual group round count. Simply: tracking data=smart; arbitrary round counts=dumb.

So is there any real argument with substance for 10-round groups or are you arguing on the internet with a stranger for the sake of arguing?

I'll be specific.

Having shot a 10 round group is a good way to make sure your gun is zeroed. Its 7 rounds more than your custom needs but maybe the amount that a 2.0 moa remmy needs. Either way at 10ish rounds you’re going to have a very good idea where you stand.

Give me a break man. At this point your just being intentionally obtuse. You know damn good and well your trying to get the barrel hot to see if it walks or stays put.

You must be an engineer as you miss the forest for the trees reliably and repeatedly. It was an illustration on how easy it is.

Data tracking is not smart. Being able to interpret the data is smart. Data is neither smart nor dumb. The "arbitrary" round counts were more or less established by people that are smarter with ballistics then you or me. You say different things at different times. One group was 3 shots a day with taking the suppressor on and off to demonstrate repeatability and group and POI shift.

I'm arguing with a singular stranger on multiple threads over months because I am an idiot that likes to punish himself.

The biggest question is why did you change your user name from 406smith to TK-421? Too many times people punched holes in your statements and had to abandon the user name 406smith?

Bless your heart I'm out.

aschuler

FNG
Jesus. Who cares? No one on here knows the answer.

I mean... Maybe someone actually knows the answer, but since we're on the internet and noone knows each other, my word is as good as the next guy's. And I don't know shit.

Let's get a discussion going in here with Formidilosus on scopes and dirty bores too.

I will shoot ten at a single POI just so I don't have to overlay two groups of 5 or multiple groups of 3. Always cool my barrel to extend it's life. Not concerned about heat stress, because it's a hunting rifle. Even if heat stress was an issue for accuracy, if you're slinging 2 follow up rounds through is as fast as possible, that heat won't have enough time to disperse enough throughout the barrel to cause any walking, and you're not a good enough shot for that heat stress to have an effect on your 2 very quickly released follow-ups anyway.

I need to go hunting this weekend

T3X Tac A1

NZswi3z.jpg

Clockwork

Lil-Rokslider
So now I am not a very good shooter but I am just starting out with more precise shots. Let me know what you think though.

This shows where the rifle was before I had to turn a few knobs (black spots).

Then you can see while not perfectly on the center I was able to get 3 shots right next to each other I miscalculated the scope adjustments and just decided to shoot a few more rounds (had a few stray flyers though).

Overall I don't think that I did too terrible considering this was my first time properly sighting in my rifle on my own. I do think that I am thinking about the recoil too much maybe and that's why I am getting the flyers or overall movement??

Tikka T3x superlite in 300 win mag shooting barnes 180 grain ttsx at 100 yards
1046BD0F-FD94-4D1A-A162-870B5CA9F673.jpeg

This one I adjusted the scope and was finally getting on the center target but the last round strayed a bit. The bottom round in the 9 ring wasn't part of the grouping.
5431DBE2-C076-47BE-96DE-2F1381CF21BE.jpeg

This was the last set of 3 rounds I shot for today and maybe I was tired and wasn't holding right??
2A1EFA15-0BCF-4897-BF06-025B835FD659.jpeg

Last edited:

Jimbee

WKR
I've been doing some reloading and trying to shoot a little each day after work. The days are short but I have 20-30 minutes or so before dark and the range is on my way home. I have a tikka .223 heading my way but am currently shooting a 300wsm and 270 win, both tikkas with swfa scopes. I'm looking for advice on the proper form to spot my shots. Is that feasible with my current 300wsm and 270?

Jimbee

WKR
Here's some more groups. Various reloads. 300wsm superlite and 270 win superlite.

Attachments

• 20211201_164238.jpg
    20211201_164238.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211201_164226.jpg
    20211201_164226.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211201_164232.jpg
    20211201_164232.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211201_164220.jpg
    20211201_164220.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 27

ETtikka

WKR

at around 8:30 in the video, sako shows their hammer forging/stress relieving process. Explains why tikka/sako do NOT need broken in, very interesting

Reactions: prm