Show your Tikka ten round groups

With a couple of recent threads regarding the accuracy of Tikka rifles and a couple of people working through issues with them, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread with peoples' groups from their Tikkas. Of particular interest, is ten round groups and what people do to their Tikkas to get good results, or just keep the good results going. Or, if it was actually an issue with another piece of equipment (scope, rings, etc), then what was it? I know there's a wide range of ways people care for these rifles and ways they are modified, so share your details here if you want. Or, treat this thread as an ongoing log of your own journey with your Tikka, if you happen to be one of those that can't shoot worth a damn, like me. This Hopefully this will generate some good discussion without haterade.

I've had a rough go with my Tikka .30-06 superlite. It's my first CF rifle, and I'm a year in to shooting and reloading for it. I had one, sold it due to being convinced I screwed up the barrel, even though I'm pretty sure I didn't. Got an identical one, then bedded it into a Boyd's laminate with an atlasworxs bottom metal. Same story as the first one.... Some great groups, some terrible groups. Some long stretches of terrible groups. I know my handloads are good and I know my bedding and barrel are good. I learned quite a bit about the rifles and have come to terms with the fact that I suck, but my rifle doesn't. So, I now know where to put my energy. I've never shot another .30-06, so I don't know how easy an xbolt or some 10lb gun is to shoot. But I've heard the lightweight tikkas can be a bear to shoot well. I believe it. My gun is 7lb10oz ready to go, and it's tough... At least it is for me.

Here's my groups from today. I removed my scope and rings and action screws, degreased like a boss, and loctited everything in when putting back together. I HIGHLY recommend doing this... A couple of my ring screws were loose and I didn't know it. So, the first target is just my sight in shots. Second target is 9 rounds. These two targets' loads are different from the second two only in that it's a different number of firings on the brass and a different lot of primers. The third target was shit... I had switched positions at the bench just slightly, and it led to a much less stable hold. So, I had to reset and move to another bull for a mental reset too . Fourth target is 8 rounds, cause that's what I had left. I was getting worn at that point and starting to feel twitchy behind the trigger. I think the second target is what my gun can actually do. They all felt very good. I made sure to circle the farthest away shots to qualify these groups for cherry picking.

Also, for the curious:

352 rounds down the tube
Last full copper and carbon cleaning was at round 226, when I also polished the throat area with a maroon 3m pad. In between cleanings, I had been removing the powder residue to a mostly white patch with either Remoil, hoppes, or CRC sp350.
The last time I put a patch in the bore was round 319. We'll see how late my I make it before I lose my nerve and clean and oil it. I've got my action bedded, but the screws are cranked and loctited to 65in/lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20200526_204111909.jpg
    IMG_20200526_204111909.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_20200526_204119939.jpg
    IMG_20200526_204119939.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_20200526_204128042.jpg
    IMG_20200526_204128042.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_20200526_204145960.jpg
    IMG_20200526_204145960.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 678
Last edited:
Here’s a few of mine:

Tikka T1X, KRG Bravo, SWFA 3-9, SK standard plus. 50 yards

fe2c075b6d221f48507a67e469419e15.jpg

T3X SuperLite 223, SWFA 3-9, bone stock except addition of vertical grip. 100 yards

d75cccd0074832002b772d5daef2c152.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Current load, still have some variables in the load to play with for fine tuning.
I’ve done a lot to the rifle. I could never get it shooting to my satisfaction in factory condition. Some of it Tikka’s fault (excessively long throat), some of it mine (I put a scope with mechanical issues on it).

962a641bfe520fd629d8e1e261912296.jpg

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Same rifle and load, but getting intentionally inconsistent with some of the variables to see what would happen. Wider range of case weights, more variability in the sizing (shooting my die setup oopsies), and not quite as precise on the powder charges (within 0.1gr, but not to the kernel).

0a2f4abb1417b017ae1bc39aa5e8a90c.jpg

gbflyer

WKR
I did this about 3 weeks ago. No pic. Here’s a copy of a text I sent my buddy about it:

I'm gonna sell all my shit and buy another Tikka. Last weekend I was shooting some 180gr handloads into about an inch. Got it pretty hot, 8-9 rounds. Then I immediately shot 10 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match rounds about as fast I could get back on target. All 10 right at an inch. This is a 7# rifle in a cheap factory stock. I quit.

This is a .308 Superlite LH from Cabelas I bought from a feller on this site. I’ll take a picture next time.

OP
H
I did this about 3 weeks ago. No pic. Here’s a copy of a text I sent my buddy about it:

I'm gonna sell all my shit and buy another Tikka. Last weekend I was shooting some 180gr handloads into about an inch. Got it pretty hot, 8-9 rounds. Then I immediately shot 10 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match rounds about as fast I could get back on target. All 10 right at an inch. This is a 7# rifle in a cheap factory stock. I quit.

This is a .308 Superlite LH from Cabelas I bought from a feller on this site. I’ll take a picture next time.

Very nice! Did you remove the contact points in free float the factory stock? Any idea on torque settings?

gbflyer

WKR
Very nice! Did you remove the contact points in free float the factory stock? Any idea on torque settings?

Have not touched the barrel channel. I did pull it out of the stock just to take a look at that Mickey Mouse recoil lug setup before I fired it. The action screws were loose. I loosely re-assembled, bounced the butt on the floor (with feeling) a couple of times, and then torqued them both to 45in/lb with my Fat Wrench. Figured I’d bust the plastic bottom metal but no. I tell ya these things are something. I’ve got customs I have $1000’s in with custom actions and expensive barrels, hours and hours of my own work standing over a lathe. I can’t do any better. Sort of disgusting, actually. Guess I’m a fan boy now but I do curve my hat bill

Is there some math involved around the significance of a 10 shot group? It seems like the burden of sample size keeps growing. Used to be 3, then 5, now 10. I seem to remember some software out there that calculates hit probability and I was wondering if a 10 shot group amounts to some sort of significance level or confidence interval.

Where is the point of diminishing returns in the number of rounds piled into a group?

Is there a linear relationship that can be assigned to group size (MOA) and number of shots in the group? If I shoot a 1/4 MOA 3 shot group, can I extrapolate a 1/2 MOA 5 shot (to a lesser confidence) and a 1 MOA 10 shot (to an even lesser level of confidence)?

These Tikka threads have become quite data driven, which I appreciate, and I want to know if the work has been done to vet our actual experimental design. It seems that the interest is there and guys want to do this right, so let’s do it right. Or at least understand what we’re doing beyond just “the internet wants 10 shot groups now”

OP
H
Have not touched the barrel channel. I did pull it out of the stock just to take a look at that Mickey Mouse recoil lug setup before I fired it. The action screws were loose. I loosely re-assembled, bounced the butt on the floor (with feeling) a couple of times, and then torqued them both to 45in/lb with my Fat Wrench. Figured I’d bust the plastic bottom metal but no. I tell ya these things are something. I’ve got customs I have $1000’s in with custom actions and expensive barrels, hours and hours of my own work standing over a lathe. I can’t do any better. Sort of disgusting, actually. Guess I’m a fan boy now but I do curve my hat bill

Ha!! I'm a fanboy too and also curve the hell out of my hat bill.

I left the contact points in my factory stock, and definitely got some good groups with them in. They are pretty impressive. I think the decent barrel and great action has a lot to do with it.

OP
H
Is there some math involved around the significance of a 10 shot group? It seems like the burden of sample size keeps growing. Used to be 3, then 5, now 10. I seem to remember some software out there that calculates hit probability and I was wondering if a 10 shot group amounts to some sort of significance level or confidence interval.

Where is the point of diminishing returns in the number of rounds piled into a group?

Is there a linear relationship that can be assigned to group size (MOA) and number of shots in the group? If I shoot a 1/4 MOA 3 shot group, can I extrapolate a 1/2 MOA 5 shot (to a lesser confidence) and a 1 MOA 10 shot (to an even lesser level of confidence)?

These Tikka threads have become quite data driven, which I appreciate, and I want to know if the work has been done to vet our actual experimental design. It seems that the interest is there and guys want to do this right, so let’s do it right. Or at least understand what we’re doing beyond just “the internet wants 10 shot groups now”

It's of interest to me after reading a few of @Formidilosus posts on barrel accuracy testing. You might have to dig a little, but there's a lot of information on various threads about the statistical part of it

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

Ive always done verification groups in quantities of two full magazines. Whether it’s a 3 round mag for 6 shots or a 6 round mag for 12, doesn’t matter. It’s just what I do and what works for me.

This helps with my confidence and ensuring reliable consistent hits at all yardages.

My last group with my Tikka T3X chambered in .22-250 was a two magazine verification group at 400 yards. So that’s 6 shots to confirm consistency with tracking at 400 yards. Pink hole is two shots hard to tell in the photo.

6 MPH direct head wind. 100 feet of elevation. 20% humidity. 65 degrees.

D4BF7C13-EF75-48B8-A8C9-1900519357FB.jpegADDB5C0B-E414-4A72-83D0-C0614786FC22.jpeg