Shrink wrapping spotting scope

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone ever thought about shrink wrapping a Kowa spotting scope to work as body armor? A piece of 4 inch diameter 2:1 should be able to provide good coverage over the entire body (on a 554) and be lighter than the neoprene cases. Of course, in that size you can get any color you want as long as it is black.

In theory, one could take it off the body with out much issue. If only able to get the stuff with adhesive inside, a quick wrap with silicon rescue tape would keep the adhesive off the body and provide a little more protection with the shrink wrap keeping the tape from coming off or collecting dirt as silicon loves to do.

I might just give it a try. But, please shoot holes in the idea and save me from the good idea fairy if that is all this is.

Edit: It turned out ok. Not as clean as I had hoped, but no harm to the scope.

I wrapped some silicone tape on parts of it to add padding.20210421_095026.jpg

I was not able to get this wrinkle out. 20210421_105952.jpg

Getting the edges to lay flat around the foot was a pain.
20210421_110001.jpg

20210421_105958.jpg
20210421_105947.jpg

Last edited:

Napperm4

WKR
Are you talking heat shrink tube?

I’m not a kowa guy but most seals in optics probably aren’t going to handle the heat used for shrinking the tube if you have a slip up and hold it too long in one spot. That would be my only concern with it

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Are you talking heat shrink tube?

I’m not a kowa guy but most seals in optics probably aren’t going to handle the heat used for shrinking the tube if you have a slip up and hold it too long in one spot. That would be my only concern with it
Yes, the same stuff used to seal electrical connections. Most of it needs to get to 195 degrees to shrink. Good point about not getting the scope too hot if I give it a try.

I bought the Kowa cover for my 554. In addition to that, anytime the scope is not actually in use, it rides in a Maxpedition 12"X 5" bottle holder. Perfect size and well padded protection for the 554.

You could probably save the $125 on the Kowa cover and just use this alone, if you don't mind the spotter being bare while on the tripod.

I have a second one that holds my JetBoil, extra fuel, coffee press, coffee, tea, bouillon cubes, spices and utensils.

1618528747297.png

Last edited:
I don't know if they make a big enough version, but look into cold-shrink. We use that stuff regularly at work in a 2" size. It's a rubber sleeve with a perforated wound plastic strip inside which you unwind with the pull of a tab, no heat needed for it to shrink.

If the main tab breaks, you can use the other side, but if that breaks too, you end up with a bubble in the middle ...

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't know if they make a big enough version, but look into cold-shrink. We use that stuff regularly at work in a 2" size. It's a rubber sleeve with a perforated wound plastic strip inside which you unwind with the pull of a tab, no heat needed for it to shrink.

If the main tab breaks, you can use the other side, but if that breaks too, you end up with a bubble in the middle ...
I did not know cold shrink existed. That is awesome.

I already picked up some 4 inch heat shrink. It shrinks at 196 F, so I figure set a heat gun to 200 F and I should be ok. I think Kawo says their scopes can be stored at up to 160 F, I'm pretty sure I can avoid heating the scope itself past that. Still thinking about it though as it will be an expensive lesson if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Elkangle

WKR
I think I would just wrap it in vet wrap...or sometime of non sticky tape

Seems sketchy to heat it up

If you do use heat shrink (and I wouldn't), keep a cold wet rag nearby and work in sections. Shrink one part, cool it down with the rag, then the next part, ect.

Vet wrap is a great idea, I use it on the combs of my rifles.

Wrench

WKR
The shrink tube will be shrunk waaaay before the body heats up. Think thermal coefficients. A thin insulating layer over a dense object.

I'd not sweat it. (Pun intended)

Why do people buy pretty things and want to turn them into something that looks like it belongs on a battlefield?

Or buy something that is light, one of the main attributes of its value is how light it is, and then put it in a 8 oz container.

In 20 years I hope to list my 553 in the Classifieds: "Exterior has some signs of wear, dings, scratches, etc. Glass if flawless."

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I
Why do people buy pretty things and want to turn them into something that looks like it belongs on a battlefield?

Guess it depends on what one counts as pretty. I'll agree the Kowa looks better bare than with a case. However, I bought it for optical function and light weight, so the preservation of those (in that order) is my goal. Plus, pretty to me conjures images of bluing, scroll work, wood, and leather. The Kowa has none of those and I sold most of the things I had that came close to pretty when I moved to AK in exchange for function. I hope some day to have the luxury of pretty again, hopefully not because I move back to a softer climate though.

Or buy something that is light, one of the main attributes of its value is how light it is, and then put it in a 8 oz container.

In 20 years I hope to list my 553 in the Classifieds: "Exterior has some signs of wear, dings, scratches, etc. Glass if flawless."
If you're referring to me, the Maxpedition bottle holder is for extra protection during storage only. As stated, when in use, the scope only wears the Kowa cover. You're right, the size and weight are the 553/554's greatest attribute, besides it's optical quality, which is first and foremost.

While on the subject of protection, my 554 also wears a Breakthough Photography 58mm X4 UV filter as an added protection for the objective lens. No, it does not effect image quality.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If you're referring to me, the Maxpedition bottle holder is for extra protection during storage only. As stated, when in use, the scope only wears the Kowa cover. You're right, the size and weight are the 553/554's greatest attribute, besides it's optical quality.

While on the subject of protection, my 554 also wears a Breakthough Photography 58mm X4 UV filter as added protection for the objective lens. No, it does not effect image quality.

I think I will be buying a 58 mm polerizing filter now. Did not think of that, but all my wifes camera lenses wear them to protect the objective lense and help with glare.

Thanks.

If you're referring to me, the Maxpedition bottle holder is for extra protection during storage only. As stated, when in use, the scope only wears the Kowa cover. You're right, the size and weight are the 553/554's greatest attribute, besides it's optical quality, which is first and foremost.

While on the subject of protection, my 554 also wears a Breakthough Photography 58mm X4 UV filter as an added protection for the objective lens. No, it does not effect image quality.

Ah, I misread your post.

I just put mine in the little neoprene bag my Sirui VA-5 came in. On the tripod, nada.

That Kowa cover is still like 6 oz tho?

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, the scope did not curl up and die. The body never got too hot to touch. The end result is not as nice as I envisioned, but is functional. I'll edit the OP with pictures.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
3mm neoprene, works well in the pack. Shrink wrap the dingy bits

Attachments

• 20210422_072958.jpg
    20210422_072958.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 76