SHTF category ?

Is it "necessary" or "valuable" to have a new special topic category for when we encounter really crisis type moments in the back country.
I have had a broadhead in my thigh, a tipi collapse on me in sub zero, snowy, wet, elevation situation, Soaked feet in icy weather, broken vehicle miles and miles from the trail head, Mountain Lion encounters, no water and miles to go, etc . I am sure others with way more experience than me have great stories with helpful lessons to share with newbies coming into this group. My experiences turned out ok because I was some what prepared and knowledgeable. But what about the thousands of new guys who watched Born & Raised Outdoor videos and decided to head out to Colorado and get that elk. Yet has little experience hunting from a tree stand with little knowledge about the back country.

We have great apps and websites to help get us enthused, equipped and out there looking like a sponsored hunter from Cabelas. We have great partners here with us on Rokslide like Onyx, Go hunt, Black Ovis, Kifaru, EXO, FL, SITKA, Seek Outside, Lite Outdoors, Crispi, etc..... that give is many tools for success, as well as tons of YouTube videos, podcasts and such.

But what about a place to go and read about the SHTF situations that could've been deadly, had the involved not been prepared? I am talking specifically about back country hunting or wilderness situations that have gone really south, not just a blister on the heel. Not to down play that, but rather to emphasize the various levels of crisis out there. . Even though many of these experiences could translate to other situations for sure, this site is dedicated to Back Country.

I know this could go under "General" forum or in the "Gear" or "Reloading" etc. But many won't see those as they get buried under what those categories were initially intended for.

Just a thought for Ryan, Robby and the rest of the leadership of this Rokslide tool.

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
Having been a tracker for the local search and rescue I have tracked lost people who crawled over fences, crossed well traveled roads and when you finally catch up to them or they run into another person they are usually physically exhausted and when ask why they crossed the fence or road they will answer "Don't remember crossing either one". Remaining calm is the key to most SHTF situations, but easier said than done.

Fatcamp

WKR
I thought you meant prepper stuff which would be a solid no from me.

Having recently had a weird night happen I think you have a great idea.

Fatcamp

WKR
Having been a tracker for the local search and rescue I have tracked lost people who crawled over fences, crossed well traveled roads and when you finally catch up to them or they run into another person they are usually physically exhausted and when ask why they crossed the fence or road they will answer "Don't remember crossing either one". Remaining calm is the key to most SHTF situations, but easier said than done.

Two weeks ago crossed an old Jeep trail in the rain and wind and darkness that I was looking for. Ran into the fence and thought WTF? Don't even remember seeing the group of trees we landed in. Crazy.

Marble

WKR
We had a thread awhile back on injuries sustained while hunting. I don't remember the exact title. But there was a lot of good info there.

I know I would be able to contribute a few stories to help peeps here. Unfortunately I'm usually the victim in the story. But not always.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I remember asking if we could have a "Reloading" forum before it came about. We had a Long Range and Fire Arms, but often valuable reloading info would end up buried in tons of posts not related to reloading. Those in charge saw the value of that idea and created one.
I hope they can see the value of this one as well.

My goal is never to sit here and dream up new forum ideas, but to help assist those on this site to be served in valuable areas that accompany the other great thread platforms.

OP
mfllood3800
I thought you meant prepper stuff which would be a solid no from me.

Having recently had a weird night happen I think you have a great idea.
Not sure how you even came up with that discovery
lol
Glad you came around to your senses man.
:)

OP
mfllood3800
Agree, I am getting my popcorn now....
Well I hope it would not turn in to story time only, but rather valid fixes to desperate events in the back country. Although I agree, I suspect there would be some incredible stories to read, and even more incredible fixes to those crisis events. Just imagine if one hunter a year remembered something from here and implemented that and made it back home to his family.

OP
mfllood3800
Beendare
You're not wrong. But I believe it "could " better serve the community if they had a direct place to go for emergency type situations. But who knows, maybe this would bury stuff as well. Also new guys wouldn't have a clue to look for emergency type things unless they saw a category as they were browsing all the forum links. I don't know, just thought maybe it would be beneficial.

OP
mfllood3800
Seems to me…..

tent problems fit well in the sleep system section,
reloading booms in the reload section, Bows derailing in the archery section and so on….
….
Also I don't know if I remember guys posting situations. Seems like a very small amount I heard "mention" of here and there, but nothing posted on purpose. It may be a way to get the stories and resolutions out. It may be a totally bad idea altogether, who knows. The Staff here will decide and I personally hope to not have another emergency story to share one way or another.
:)

bozeman

WKR
go to the 24hourcampfire, they are all experts.....just ask them, they will tell you exactly what they 'would do'..... :)

Not a bad idea, but maybe call it woodsmanship or wilderness survival. For me SHTF makes me think of someone stockpiling campbells soup in a buried schoolbus bunker prepping for the collapse of modern society. I’m all for it as long as it stays on track with backcountry hunting.