SHTF category ?

OP
mfllood3800
Who remembers the section in Outdoor Life magazine “This Happened To Me”?

Sounds like this could be the same
I remember that and always read the articles. If I remember it was some where near the back? Wow that does bring back memories.

OP
mfllood3800
Not a bad idea, but maybe call it woodsmanship or wilderness survival. For me SHTF makes me think of someone stockpiling campbells soup in a buried schoolbus bunker prepping for the collapse of modern society. I’m all for it as long as it stays on track with backcountry hunting.
It's what ever gets the messages out to the readers. I think it was more about acting correctly when the worst possible scenario took place and doing the exact right thing in seconds without having much time to think about it. Hence SHTF. When I think woodsmanship, bushcraft or wilderness survival, I tend to think of building shelters, tying knots, setting snares, things you would see on survivor or alone. But I could be wrong. Doesn't matter to me one way or another. 3 times I've been in a very bad way and came thru it. Not to be confused with an inconvenient situation, but rather one that could've easily taken my life , quickly. I know others on here have as well. I agree, keeping it on track with back country hunting. There are already tons of prepper videos out there. This would be strictly for what we faced and how we got out, alive. Not to be confused with how we survived a 24 hr day with no internet service.
:)

hunterjmj

WKR
This would be a good catagory that would be educational and informative. I've taken good fortune for granted most of my life in the backcountry until last year when one of our party spent the night in below zero temps. The outcome could have been deadly but my partner was prepared. I'll spare all the details but some fairly simple skills, gear and experience can be a life saver.

OP
mfllood3800
Flood,
I do think its a good idea....but maybe just with the mods compiling the different tips, mistakes, etc that are in their respective categories.....all compiled in one section.
____

I will say I'm a little worried what this section might end up looking like.
I probably have posted enough of these mistakes, prominent in that section. I'm worried the mods might want to name it the Beendare section- grin. I already have a wife for those 'Reminders'.....

>
LOL My wife made me get an InReach when she first read about one. She wants me to take it every where, not just hunting.
But I always tell her, there are those that live cautiously and those that live life.
She rolls her eyes and mumbles stuff.

I think there are enough of these stories out there all over to teach us all to “be prepared”. I sent my “elk hunt” packing list to some young guys going out for the first time and they could not believe all that was on the list. They said you take all of this and I said yep. I experienced the need for all of it. My day pack is full of “what if” items that I may never need but I don’t leave camp without them. The mountains are unforgiving and accidents happen. “Prepare for the worst but plan for the best“,

I dislike the over categorization of forums. If I was archery hunting elk in the backcountry on an out of state backpack hunt and broke my leg, what forum should I post my story in?
Im thinking the General forum.

Dirtbag

WKR
Who remembers the section in Outdoor Life magazine “This Happened To Me”?

Sounds like this could be the same
memory lane, when I was a little kid I lived for those little comics in each issue. Outdoor life once dedicated an entire issue to those. I might have to do some digging and see if I still have it.

I dislike the over categorization of forums. If I was archery hunting elk in the backcountry on an out of state backpack hunt and broke my leg, what forum should I post my story in?
Im thinking the General forum.
If it happened while you were Elk Hunting, then I would put it in the Elk Hunting Forum.

OP
mfllood3800
I want to know how you got the broadhead in your thigh.
Hunting from a tree stand. Arrow nocked in bow, resting on safety bar in front of me that sits over my legs. Spotted fawn walks under me. Wife loves "Bambi". So I got cell phone out and filmed it. Went to put phone back in front pant pocket, raised up a bit and bow started to slide down. I grabbed it, nocking arrow into a position that caused it to stick in my thigh, just at the knee. Looked and saw torn pant leg, then felt a wet foot, really wet foot. Pulled up bottom of pant leg, whole sock was already soaked red.

Got down, elevated leg, looked for my cordage in pack- none. What the heck.
Took my base layer shirt off, tied above knee and wound, taped the cut to apply pressure, hiked just over a mile to the UTV, stopping to check the blood every now and then. Got to the Ranger, drove 3 miles to the truck, loaded it up, drove 20 miles back to town, went to ER, got stitched up, called wife, listened to the rant, went back up hunting.

Last edited:
We used to rate our "epics" on a scale of 1 to 10. Needed to have real tragedy potential to get a 5.
I like categorization. Could call it "Drama."