SHV vs zeiss v6 reliability

Teaman1

WKR
I’m looking for a reliable scope for a 300 weatherby (no brake). Above all else I want this scope to track reliably and stand up to the recoil. I’m hoping to make this a 600 yard hunting rifle. I was set on the 3-10 SHV, but the z6 has been suggested, so I’m looking into it. To me, the main downfalls of the SHV are weight and the glass is probably better on the v6.
I was thinking on going with a 10x max for all around hunting, but the 3-18x50 z6 might work.
Not a lot out there on the z6 and I’m nervous about dropping big money on a scope that needs to be sent in. Read what I can find here on the slide and still looking elsewhere.
The reason I’m not looking at NXS is I prefer the normal crosshair, all the other lines on other reticles distract me on running shots.
Typically a leupold guy, but all the stories of tracking issues makes me hesitant to try the vx5 or vx6

Last edited:
I’m assuming you mean the 3-10 SHV? The 2.5-10 is the NXS model. I have a 3-10 that I like but don’t love. The reticle is thin for my tastes and can be difficult to see in low light. It will dial reliably but you’ll have to pull the cap off to spin turrets. I may replace it with a Zeiss V4, got to play musical scopes and see if it works better. Also the mounting length is short on the 3-10 so if it’s going on a long action you’ll probably need a rail and pic rings.

cmahoney

WKR
My SHV is great, the glass is better than you would expect. Always tracks perfectly. I do prefer exposed turrets but it’s a slight inconvenience. I put the elevation cap in my pocket if I’m on a critter and use the MOAR reticle for wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I’m assuming you mean the 3-10 SHV? The 2.5-10 is the NXS model. I have a 3-10 that I like but don’t love. The reticle is thin for my tastes and can be difficult to see in low light. It will dial reliably but you’ll have to pull the cap off to spin turrets. I may replace it with a Zeiss V4, got to play musical scopes and see if it works better. Also the mounting length is short on the 3-10 so if it’s going on a long action you’ll probably need a rail and pic rings.
You’re correct, just finished looking at the nxs when I typed that

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Honestly, as long as the glass is at least Vx3i level, I’d be happy. Reliability is the most important factor to me on this next scope purchase.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I have the SHV and older Zeiss HD5. Both have been reliable scopes for dialing but the V6 they changed things a bit and can't compare directly. I'm a bit suspicious of the changes to be honest and trust the SHV more.

The SHV though is a good scope but has capped turrets and no zero stop. If you are dialing a lot then it's a bit of a hassle. But if you are setting the scope for occasional dialing it's fine.

Others mentioned the SHV is much shorter than the newer Zeiss.

I have the MOAR reticle on the SHV which is just OK. I may get the ForcePlex if I upgrade. I find the MOAR reticle fine for open tops, but not very good in any kind of dark or busy background.

The SHV feels like a substantially built scope in the hand and solid turrets. I think it would take more abuse than any Zeiss I've used.

Honyock

WKR
If you're considering the V6 you should take a look at what Red Hawk Rifles has in stock. You will like the price. I picked up a "demo" V4 from them and the scope that I received had never been out of the box.

Spence

FNG
I have both the SHV and the V6 Zeiss. They are both great scopes and both will not let you down. NEVER worry about a Zeiss V6 or V8. These are the Victory type series of scopes. 100% made in Germany. They are very tough scopes. I have used and abused them heavily. 100% satisfaction. If I had my choice I would take the Zeiss every day of the week. 3-18x50

I have a SHV 5-20-56 SHV and I love it. I never had any tracking issues. There CS is great too. I lost the battery cover hunting, I called them and they sent me one for free.

stevevan

WKR
I have a SHV 5-20-56 SHV and I love it. I never had any tracking issues. There CS is great too. I lost the battery cover hunting, I called them and they sent me one for free.
Absolute no brainer who has used both extensively. I have V6's on my rifles. SHV's went down the road. NXS scopes, different story.

Bater

WKR
Why not go with a V4 4-16 and save some money? They can be had with a standard duplex as well.

Spence

FNG
The V4 is a great option. And has more reticle options. I know he wants a duplex style. But if he can flip for the V6, ultimately he will be happier. The adjustments are butter smooth, A touch better image and light. The V6 models are a step ahead. Worth the money? To me absolutely. But its all up to the individual.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have both and both have been completely reliable. The Zeiss has slightly better glass. For similar weight too, the Zeiss is a heck of a lot more scope too.