No discussion needed. Auto or revolver

• Drum of ammo

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Magazine of ammo

Votes: 78 78.8%

• Total voters

Trial153

WKR
I carry a glock 20, other then take it when i am bowhunting grizz country I have no use for it. At home it sits in a locked box under my bow bench.
I am seriously thinking of ditching it an moving towards taking one of my EDC in 9mm after shooting some new penetrator loads.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I used to do the big revolver thing (44mag, 454c) but those things weigh like 5 lbs each and I couldn’t get follow up shots nearly as quickly as I can with a Glock 20.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
I live right smack in the middle of Grizz country in Montana. My favorite gun Ive ever had was a S&W trail boss 44 mag. But I was young and dumb and traded it for a boat. Now Ive got a G20 shooting 180 grain extreme penetrators using a Creekside Mercantile chest holster. Im confident and fast with it. I practice alot at moving targets. I suggest the same.

As someone else has said, I carry what I have carried day in and day out for the past 7+ years in law enforcement and Swat. Its second nature to me. I step up the 9mm with hardcast and not second guess it.

jpmulk

WKR
It seems like the bear defense discussion almost always comes back to caliber. I think caliber is the wrong focus. Lets face it, there isnt that much real life data available. What we do have shows about any caliber will work. From my training experience, what is most important is getting trained to use a handgun under stress. Most people can barely shoot a handgun proficiently standing still at the range. Under stress in a dynamic fight, the results will be even worse. Would love to hear more people focused on proficiency rather than gear when it comes to this topic.

jimh406

WKR
Just be sure to file down the front sight ... (leaving out the rest of the joke)

Seriously though, penetration is very important. Newer bullets like the Extreme Penetrators Monolithics are recommended by Underwood, but have the side benefit of being much lighter with less kick than the more traditional hard cast bullets.

My thought is that no matter if I'm carrying a .357, 10, or .44, I'm going to carry those rounds. It's more important to have a gun that you can shoot accurately with follow up shots than having one big round. I think most people can do follow up shots easier with a semiautomatic, but revolvers are great if you are someone who spent time learning how to shoot them accurately in double action. It's hard to beat a Glock 10mm for most people.

As someone pointed out even big bears have been killed by a lot of different calibers, but don't forget the bear spray.

Secorile

FNG
I personally use a Glock 20 10mm, as my preferred side arm for bear protection. I run it with the Underwood 140g +p. I know it’s a smaller grain bullet but the penetration power on that bullet is insane in my opinion. I like the Glock 20 personally since I get 15+1 rounds. Don’t think I’ll ever really use anything else.

Old game… and I’m still playing 😉 To me, for some weird reason the topic of bear country handguns still isn’t played out.

I have and carry both. A Ruger Blackhawk in .454 Casull and my alternative was a Sig 1911 in 10mm auto. I kept the Sig but added a much lighter weight Springfield 10mm auto. I’ll probably carry the Springfield more than anything due to weight. But if the time comes I’d probably wish I either had the 1911 for it’s better ergonomics and point ability or the .454 because… It’s a .454.

For the most part the .454 is for handgun hunting seasons and family camping.

The 10mm’s are much more convenient to carry.

If you can only afford one I’d ask yourself what it will be used for most of the time.

I mentioned a while back and I'll put it out there again, Buffalo Bore has 200 grain lead flat points for 40 S&W at 1000 FPS...

Nice link in post #21 to handgun defense against bears.

Last edited:
I mentioned a while back and I'll put it out there again, Buffalo Bore has 200 grain lead flat points for 40 S&W at 1000 FPS...

Nice link in post #21 to handgun defense against bears.
I don’t see why not. My 10mm auto handloads are 200 gr WFNHC at 1230 fps. Not really a whole lot more. That’s from a 5” barrel 1911. I’ve yet to test the loads in my 3.8” barrel XDM. I’d be very happy if they hit 1150 fps which is even closer to the 40 S&W velocity. I’d probably take that load over most 45 ACP loads because I bet (without researching) the sectional density is better.

Blasey

FNG
I was in the same position as you a few years ago. I bought the S&W 4" .500 revolver and packed it for the first year of hunting in AK. Went through a couple of different chest holsters before I landed on the most comfortable - D&D leather in Wasilla. That was very nice but still way too heavy - WAY!!! The first year of sheep hunting in the Grizzly hills I put that thing down and picked up a Glock 20, 10mm. Weighs less than have with more than double the rounds. Seems to be the go to weapon up here.

I don’t see why not. My 10mm auto handloads are 200 gr WFNHC at 1230 fps. Not really a whole lot more. That’s from a 5” barrel 1911. I’ve yet to test the loads in my 3.8” barrel XDM. I’d be very happy if they hit 1150 fps which is even closer to the 40 S&W velocity. I’d probably take that load over most 45 ACP loads because I bet (without researching) the sectional density is better.
My 329 PD with six 275 hard cast wide flat nose handloads is lighter than the MP40 c with a full magazine and one up the spout, but like you mentioned, sectional density of the 200 gr from Buffalo Bore is not too shabby. About the same as a 240 gr from a 44 mag or a 220 gr from a 41 mag.

329PD with anything 275 gr or heavier at 950-1000 fps (what I load to) takes trust in yourself with respect to the fierce recoil (no other word describes it better, IMO). But it will do the job when I do mine. With any sidearm in the wilderness, I hope I never need to.

Last edited:
I was in the same position as you a few years ago. I bought the S&W 4" .500 revolver and packed it for the first year of hunting in AK. Went through a couple of different chest holsters before I landed on the most comfortable - D&D leather in Wasilla. That was very nice but still way too heavy - WAY!!! The first year of sheep hunting in the Grizzly hills I put that thing down and picked up a Glock 20, 10mm. Weighs less than have with more than double the rounds. Seems to be the go to weapon up here.
I bought the 4” 500 S&W before I knew better, right after I moved to AK. I sold it. In my opinion it is a silly gun. Nearly as heavy as a rifle but not nearly as powerful as a bear rifle. I feel that it’s a cartoonish novelty.

CoStick

WKR
I have a m&p shield 9mm with buffalo bore for grizzly areas, haven’t carried here in CO.

Blasey

FNG
I bought the 4” 500 S&W before I knew better, right after I moved to AK. I sold it. In my opinion it is a silly gun. Nearly as heavy as a rifle but not nearly as powerful as a bear rifle. I feel that it’s a cartoonish novelty.
Yeah, I tend to agree. I never take it out anymore but I still don't want to sell it. I guess I just want something that can shoot through walls? IDK, I guess I just don't like selling guns.

I’ll sell a gun if I decide it doesn’t really work for me and I’ll use the proceeds to invest in another gun. That’s the word I use with my wife… “invest”. She often says, “I thought that last gun was your last one.”, to which I reply, “It was my last. It was the last one that I bought.”.

IDK, but I think I’ll just continue to carry the heavy old 2 3/4” .500 and shoot 440gr. Buffalo Bore ammo. At over 1600fps and almost 2600ft.lbs. of energy (probably a little less with the short barrel), it has worked well for me. I will agree that the DD chest holster provides the best means of carrying though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk