Side arm for bear protection….?

No discussion needed. Auto or revolver

• Drum of ammo

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Magazine of ammo

Votes: 78 78.8%

• Total voters
Spike camping ID Griz country this spring for black bear. I'm considering bringing my .45 with hard cast +P in addition to bear spray..... Thoughts? Obviously would rather have something with higher velocity but its just not in the budget this year...

Spike camping ID Griz country this spring for black bear. I'm considering bringing my .45 with hard cast +P in addition to bear spray..... Thoughts? Obviously would rather have something with higher velocity but its just not in the budget this year...
Definitely beats harsh language! Are you looking at the Buffalo Bore loads? I pointed a coworker to those for his .45 ACP. I assume that’s what you meant by .45. If you meant .45 Colt it’d be a whole other thing.

I took my little 3.8” barreled Springfield Armory XDM Elite 10mm out for a some test firing today. I was pretty happy with the results. It is a little snappy but nothing that is unpleasant. Quick follow up shots are possible.

Cast Performance 200 gr WFNGC
8.2 gr Hodgdon Longshot
Federal 150 primer and Starline cases
COL 1.26”
I was hoping for 1,150 fps with this load/barrel length combination and was not disappointed.

Average velocity is 1,182 fps
Extreme spread is 17.2 fps
Standard deviation is 6.0 fps

I didn’t try super hard to make small groups as I was mostly testing velocity and shootability. The target was at 20 yards because it had to be to line it up with the chronograph. I only fired twelve quick shots and had no malfunctions. The pistol flings the brass pretty far (20-30’) but it isn’t unreasonable and I’ll probably keep using the original recoil spring.

The pistol weighs 2 lbs 6 oz. when loaded with 8 shots in the Gunfighters Inc Ronin holster. That’s how I’ll probably carry it most of the time. It can hold 10+1 but 7+1 is lighter and still two more shots than my revolvers.

I’m giving up a little shootability and 48 fps vs my Sig 1911 10mm. I’m also giving up 14 ounces. A fair trade in my opinion.

As a bonus, someone else had recently shot a 10mm auto at the range and left their brass behind. I picked up about 20 Starline cases along with my own.

Attachments

• AE156113-792E-440E-B951-6E4BA8027C7D.jpeg
    AE156113-792E-440E-B951-6E4BA8027C7D.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 4ADD1D3F-2021-4C13-9334-D8DB62FCD8BB.jpeg
    4ADD1D3F-2021-4C13-9334-D8DB62FCD8BB.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I've been carrying a glock 21 in .45 acp but am going to pick up a glock in 10mm. Just listened to ElkShape Podcast on a grizzly attack.

I've been carrying a glock 21 in .45 acp but am going to pick up a glock in 10mm. Just listened to ElkShape Podcast on a grizzly attack.
Do your research on the Glock. I’m not going to beat it to death as it’s been done. You may want to get an aftermarket barrel… or a “not Glock”. Shooting lead could be an issue and the Glock chambers don’t have much support (last part isn’t a maybe… they don’t, you can decide if that’s an issue). That’s all I’ll say. Just wanted to make sure you know it might be a thing.

Last edited:
I carry a ruger, 235 gr hornady bullet,13.3 gr unique. Just like I had in SE Ak. It kills elk quick.

I don't understand everyone's fascination on weight. Live at 7,000 ft and run a chainsaw for a lifetime. You lowlanders need to step up to life with the rest of us old guys.

I carry a ruger, 235 gr hornady bullet,13.3 gr unique. Just like I had in SE Ak. It kills elk quick.

I don't understand everyone's fascination on weight. Live at 7,000 ft and run a chainsaw for a lifetime. You lowlanders need to step up to life with the rest of us old guys.
If you carry less weight you can go farther, or you can go the same distance with less effort. This fact is true wether you live in Laramie Wyoming or in Death Valley. I carried a 500 S&W for a little while when I lived in South Central AK. Didn’t change my decision to dump it for something lighter. Each person has to decide what is an acceptable level of power vs how much weight we want to haul… otherwise we’d all carry howitzers.

Maybe it's body size. I've always been over 6 ft and 200+ lbs. I 've never ever questioned weight as an issue. Entertainment was at one time as a smoke chaser, putting rocks in your partners pack when we stopped to rest. I think I had him up to 150 pounds one time. He sure got steamed when we got to the truck.

We always carried rock samples in our packs that approached 90 lbs daily. It never slowed us down but it sure made us sweat.

Maybe it's body size. I've always been over 6 ft and 200+ lbs. I 've never ever questioned weight as an issue. Entertainment was at one time as a smoke chaser, putting rocks in your partners pack when we stopped to rest. I think I had him up to 150 pounds one time. He sure got steamed when we got to the truck.

We always carried rock samples in our packs that approached 90 lbs daily. It never slowed us down but it sure made us sweat.
Maybe I didn’t make my point well. Being in great shape is the best way to get where you want to go while hauling stuff. Rocks, pistols, elk quarters… name it. It’s always a bonus to be in shape and mentally tough. That doesn’t change the fact that hauling more requires more energy, wether you are a desk jockey from sea level or a smoke jumper recon marine from the Himalayas. Add more weight to either persons pack and they will require more energy to move from A to B. Naturally the super stud will fair better than the computer dude, but either will do better than he would have hauling more weight. This also includes excess muscle mass. I saw plenty of jarheads that were big into lifting wear down faster than more athletic types when the miles began to rack up.

And now I’ve gone so far off topic it’s just silly 😜

Last edited:
I just purchased a glock 40,because I moved to Alaska and I love to bowhunt.i have never owned a handgun before and I have been shooting as often as I can go.i also purchased a gunfighterinc chest holster to carry it when I'm away from people.all of this was the result of YouTube vids I watched.i like this handgun,but I don't love it.( yet)I can't see much else use for it aside for protection.has anyone here used a 20 side by side with the 40?how much difference is there?would getting the 20 be worth the weight loss?here's hoping I will never have to use it for its intended purpose,but staying safe is worth it.practice makes semi perfect.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
has anyone here used a 20 side by side with the 40?how much difference is there?would getting the 20 be worth the weight loss?

The G20 will be shorter and lighter but will have less sight radius, less velocity and have sharper recoil.

The G40 is longer and heavier and has more sight radius, more velocity and smoother recoil.

I don’t think you’d notice a difference in carry, especially with the chest holster. At the end of the day both pistols are great and only you can decide which one “fits” your wants. Both will fit your needs.

I personally don’t want another G20 because I’m a red dot convert and wouldn’t want to go back to irons or have the slide milled.

I personally carry a Glock because that's what was available at the time.
There are lots of 10mm options these days and many people find pistols that aren't Glocks more comfortable and ergonomic.
I personally won't carry anything that I can't put a flashlight on.
If you leave your truck after sunrise and come down before sunset, then it's not an issue but I've never had any luck killing anything with that schedule.
My scariest bear encounters have all been in the dark.

The G20 will be shorter and lighter but will have less sight radius, less velocity and have sharper recoil.

The G40 is longer and heavier and has more sight radius, more velocity and smoother recoil.

I don’t think you’d notice a difference in carry, especially with the chest holster. At the end of the day both pistols are great and only you can decide which one “fits” your wants. Both will fit your needs.

I personally don’t want another G20 because I’m a red dot convert and wouldn’t want to go back to irons or have the slide milled.
How well do red dots fair in the backcountry? Weather resistance,battery life,general durability?

I personally carry a Glock because that's what was available at the time.
There are lots of 10mm options these days and many people find pistols that aren't Glocks more comfortable and ergonomic.
I personally won't carry anything that I can't put a flashlight on.
If you leave your truck after sunrise and come down before sunset, then it's not an issue but I've never had any luck killing anything with that schedule.
My scariest bear encounters have all been in the dark.
Any suggestions on flashlights?

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
How well do red dots fair in the backcountry? Weather resistance,battery life,general durability?

All I’ve had happen is loose screws between the plate and slide but I’ve got less than 16K rounds through mostly 2 pistols. “Normal” shooters shouldn’t have any issues but a slide mounted optic has a tough life and high volume shooting breaks things.

I’m in the southern US so take this for what it cost you but I’ve shot in plenty of downpours and sub freezing weather with no issues. I do clean my lenses with anti fog wipes. I suppose that could help some with the rain but I’ve never failed to have a dot in hundreds of draws in the rain and cold with an exposed emitter sight.

Any suggestions on flashlights?
I have a single CR123A battery Inforce that weighs 3 ounces and a double CR123A battery Streamlight TLR-1 HL that weighs 4.5 ounces. I like how bright the Streamlight is but have been carrying the Inforce because it’s lighter and can be locked off for when it’s in the pack so no worries about it accidentally draining when not in use. Keep in mind, having a light on your hunting weapon can be prima facie evidence of spotlighting game. I was told that by a WGFD officer. Doesn’t mean you will get a ticket, but you could. I’ve decided to only put a light on my 10mm, never my rifle.

Last edited:

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
When it comes to the 20 and 40 and using it for bear defense only, I really don't think sight radius will come into play. If you are shooting a bear in self defense distance to your target is not really relevant in regards to longer sight radius for a more accurate shot. The game warden might wonder why you are taking long shots at a bear for self defense. If you are using it for both a hunting and self defense application then it could come into play. Regarding the optic, I run one on my Glock 40 it works great, it has it's limitations just like any piece of equipment. It works well for my purpose and I have experience using both Iron and optic. My iron sights are 1/3 co-witnessed so I can use them if needed. I run a Streamlight TLR-1 and carry it on a chest rig. I've never had to use this setup for 4 leggers in self defense but have shot some while hunting. I have experience dealing with the 2 leg type. ( Not this setup but similar equipment).. The key is training with any piece of equipment you are going to carry and be prepared to adapt to what will more than likely be a very @ss puckering and fluent situation that no matter how much you train for there will be elements at play beyond your control.

BigCam47

FNG
Hi All,

First off, great insight on this thread! This may catch scrutiny, but I was curious as to the feasibility of using an AR pistol let’s say in 300BO with 220gr rounds. Not that I have one, just never heard anyone drop that option.

I’m guessing the cons are excess weight, shouldering time, and logistics of carrying it? I understand ease of use for revolvers but think the risk of having semi auto action would apply to Glock users as well.