No discussion needed. Auto or revolver

• Drum of ammo

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Magazine of ammo

Votes: 78 78.8%

• Total voters

bsnedeker

WKR
You'd look like a badass out there....I think that would be the only advantage to carrying that in the woods.

You aren't go to engage a grizzly in a protracted gunfight in the event you have to use a firearm against a bear. If you are lucky you are going to have time to get off a few shots. A full size 10mm pistol is a better choice in every way in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Glock 20 10mm or Glock 40 (6" barrel) 10 mm. With buffolo bore or underwood loads it's packing more energy than a 357 mag and holding 15+1.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,

First off, great insight on this thread! This may catch scrutiny, but I was curious as to the feasibility of using an AR pistol let’s say in 300BO with 220gr rounds. Not that I have one, just never heard anyone drop that option.

I’m guessing the cons are excess weight, shouldering time, and logistics of carrying it? I understand ease of use for revolvers but think the risk of having semi auto action would apply to Glock users as well.
If I were going to carry something that size I'd get a shockwave or another short shotgun like that and load it with brenneke slugs and mount a red dot on it. Personally, I have carried a 44 mag Redhawk, a Dan Wesson bruin long slide 1911 in 10mm, and a Glock 20. I just recently picked up a S&W M&P 10mm with a 4" barrel and mounted a Holosun 508T on it. I gotta say I like it better than any of the others for carrying. I have a GFI Ronin holster for it and will be getting a Kenai as well. For camping and as a hunting backup I like the Ronin a lot better, but for backpacking and huckleberry picking it'll be the Kenai. I ran into a grizzly last year during a black bear hunt. I had a 280AI loaded with 155 Absolute Hammers clocked at 3100fps as well as my Bruin 10mm. I felt adequately gunned, but that being said I called it quits on hunting that day after exfil from seeing that beast. He was about 30 meters away from me when I rounded a corner on a trail. I backed off slowly and boogied back to the truck. I don't think I'd carry bear spray, chances are you're only going to have the chance to use one defensive measure and I'd prefer the kind that puts them down for good.

If I were going to carry something that size I'd get a shockwave or another short shotgun like that and load it with brenneke slugs and mount a red dot on it. Personally, I have carried a 44 mag Redhawk, a Dan Wesson bruin long slide 1911 in 10mm, and a Glock 20. I just recently picked up a S&W M&P 10mm with a 4" barrel and mounted a Holosun 508T on it. I gotta say I like it better than any of the others for carrying. I have a GFI Ronin holster for it and will be getting a Kenai as well. For camping and as a hunting backup I like the Ronin a lot better, but for backpacking and huckleberry picking it'll be the Kenai. I ran into a grizzly last year during a black bear hunt. I had a 280AI loaded with 155 Absolute Hammers clocked at 3100fps as well as my Bruin 10mm. I felt adequately gunned, but that being said I called it quits on hunting that day after exfil from seeing that beast. He was about 30 meters away from me when I rounded a corner on a trail. I backed off slowly and boogied back to the truck. I don't think I'd carry bear spray, chances are you're only going to have the chance to use one defensive measure and I'd prefer the kind that puts them down for good.
Exfil? Meters? 🤣
What branch and MOS?

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Ha, sorry, some words just stick after using them for a long time. I was Navy for 13 years. Went private security for a year after that, then said to hell with it and went to the oilfield. Even after spending a lot of years in some very inhospitable places running into that Griz very clearly showed me where I stood on the food chain.

dla

WKR
I feel sorry for the newbies who believe what they read in forums. FACT: Glocks shoot cast lead just fine - everything to the contrary is forum fable. About a bazillion shooters have been reloading for stock Glocks of all calibers since forever. Yes, 1st and 2nd generation Glocks (1984 - 1998) had poor casehead support and could benefit from an aftermarket barrel.

I carry a SW329pd with 300grWFN @1000fps.

dla

WKR
See Glocks FAQ answer, I believe it is the 8th question. Then decide for yourself.

Thats the difference between experience and not. I've been shooting lead of various hardness and different calibers through stock glock barrels for over 20 years. And there are a zillion other guys doing the same thing.
But you read something......

Thats the difference between experience and not. I've been shooting lead of various hardness and different calibers through stock glock barrels for over 20 years. And there are a zillion other guys doing the same thing.
But you read something......
You sound less credible when you say “Fact” before a statement. You also sound less credible when you make statements and claim they always apply based on anecdotal information. I have some anecdotal information as well, I’ve seen Glock smileys and badly leaded barrels, in new Glocks. It could be that some are worse than others. I actually own a Glock, I just don’t shoot lead or +P loads through it. I posted a link to the manufacturer website and suggested people come to their own conclusion. Chill out bud, I’m not trying to tell you or anyone else what they should or shouldn’t do.

This is becoming comical.

Are you following all the recommendations in your short barreled 10mm’s manual?
What is comical is how upset you and your pal are getting about something that doesn’t have any actual impact on you. I suggested people come to their own conclusions. I have come to my own conclusions. Clearly you have as well. No need to get twisted in knots because our conclusions are different; that makes you sound immature. How about we just disagree like grownups?

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
What is comical is how upset you and your pal are getting about something that doesn’t have any actual impact on you. I suggested people come to their own conclusions. I have come to my own conclusions. Clearly you have as well. No need to get twisted in knots because our conclusions are different; that makes you sound immature. How about we just disagree like grownups?

I hope everyone notices that you chose to not answer my question.

You are clearly using ammo in your pistol that is not recommended by Springfield. Why are you doing this? Are you not concerned with the manufacturer’s recommendations?

I hope everyone notices that you chose to not answer my question.

You are clearly using ammo in your pistol that is not recommended by Springfield. Why are you doing this? Are you not concerned with the manufacturer’s recommendations?
I didn’t see the question as anything beyond silly whataboutism. It’s apples to oranges. Springfield says using reloaded ammunition might void my warranty. Virtually all manufacturers say that to protect themselves from the knuckleheads that drink while reloading and blow their gun up with a double charge. I came to my own conclusion and decided I’m not worried about it. Glock says not to shoot lead bullets because lead bullets and polygonal rifling often don’t do well together. It seemed self evident to me but… apparently you needed it spelled out. You are welcome. No sense responding because this is now beyond comical. If you’d like to have the last word it’s all you bubba.

dla

WKR

You sound less credible when you say “Fact” before a statement. You also sound less credible when you make statements and claim they always apply based on anecdotal information. I have some anecdotal information as well, I’ve seen Glock smileys and badly leaded barrels, in new Glocks. It could be that some are worse than others. I actually own a Glock, I just don’t shoot lead or +P loads through it. I posted a link to the manufacturer website and suggested people come to their own conclusion. Chill out bud, I’m not trying to tell you or anyone else what they should or shouldn’t do.
A leaded barrel happens because of bullet fit, not rifling type. A Glock smiley was common in 1st and 2nd Gen 40sw & 45acp Glocks - easy to cause. Not common at all in Gen 3 and later. Connecting a leaded barrel with a smiley requires some expertise to understand what is going on because peak pressure happens before the bullet moves - way before the leaded portion of the barrel.

Trykon

FNG
This thread makes me feel like a wuss hunting where I do. Red fox is our greatest threat.

If I were charged by a bear I would want a hell of a lot of ammo. The xd with 17 rounds of 10mm and good sights would be my first option

This thread makes me feel like a wuss hunting where I do. Red fox is our greatest threat.

If I were charged by a bear I would want a hell of a lot of ammo. The xd with 17 rounds of 10mm and good sights would be my first option
If I were charged by a bear I’d want a howitzer. I tried to pack one, it was a few ounces too heavy.

A leaded barrel happens because of bullet fit, not rifling type. A Glock smiley was common in 1st and 2nd Gen 40sw & 45acp Glocks - easy to cause. Not common at all in Gen 3 and later. Connecting a leaded barrel with a smiley requires some expertise to understand what is going on because peak pressure happens before the bullet moves - way before the leaded portion of the barrel.
It looks like you’ve decided what’s best for you. Good work. Let’s not get touchy because I chose differently.