Side arms?!?!

The past few years since I have started hunting a bear release unit here in Colorado I have started carrying a Glock 27 SubCompact in .40. What is everyone carrying as a side arm in the back country?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
G29 10mm, I shot a bear with this pistol and it didn't like it! The pic isn't great

Ryan

Attachments

• Picture 102.jpg
    Picture 102.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 123

Ozz08

WKR
I'll be watching this one. We can't carry a sidearm in CA during archery but since I'll be hunting CO this year and every year from here out I am very interested in what you guys carry and what you like.

Don't carry one in Colorado. Never have, and likely never will. If I was to carry one thou it would be my Glock 21. I want a Glock 20 (10 mm). That would be sick!

OP
Evan Williams
My younger brother just purchased a CZ and WOW!!! I was blow out of the water with its fit/comfort and shoot-ability!! I know I wouldn't take anything under a .38 personally and if I wasn't hunting where I am I would be like Justin and just leave it behind. But I know that..like I said above..its where they release bears that have been trapped and moved away from civilization.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
When not hunting or if archery hunting, I'll carry my 329 PD from S&W. Lighter than nearly all other options and packs a heck of a punch in .44 mag compared to anything else even close to its weight. Yep, not a joy to shoot, but I hope I never due in an emergency situation, then if I do I'll gladly sacrifice my wrists in exchange for more power than a .40 or a 10mm.

When not hunting or if archery hunting, I'll carry my 329 PD from S&W. Lighter than nearly all other options and packs a heck of a punch in .44 mag compared to anything else even close to its weight. Yep, not a joy to shoot, but I hope I never due in an emergency situation, then if I do I'll gladly sacrifice my wrists in exchange for more power than a .40 or a 10mm.
Yep the 329 PD is definately not for plinking. That thing dishes out the abuse on both ends. I carry a G20 10mm with hot hand loads when archery hunting in bear country, otherwise I don't carry the extra weight.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same here Evan, G27. Don't always carry it though....almost killed a cow at 3 yards in NM 2010...but that is another story.

7mag.

WKR
Kimber Tactical ProII, .45ACP. It's what I carry every day. I'm starting to think something a little lighter might be nice while hunting though.