Side arms?!?!

You just never know who you are going to meet out there and when you're off in the backcountry you are on your own. I dont have any incidents in the backcountry but I have met people that made things uncomfortable. I have 2 had incidents with other hunters while birdhunting, once the 45 came out of the holster but never drew down. Had shot a few pheasants and these two hunters were frustrated because they had just walked that area and their dog missed them, so one of the hunters aimed right at us and fired a shot at us, had pellets bouncing off me and they hurt. They were about 100 yards away but lets just say I was pissed. I started to walk over there but my buddy stopped me and said if you go over there somebody is going to get shot. Im thinking he was worried about them as my 45 was already out. The other situation was a guys dog was attacking my dog and he wasn't doing a damn thing about it, people had been having issues with the guy and his dog and he was said to be an agressive A-hole. I actually buttstroked his dog and the once I got them apart had to kick it a few times because he kept coming after my dog. He got pissed that I beat his dog and things got pretty heated. I had my dog on a leash as it was before hunting hours and we were in staging, his was off leash. Anyway I just dont trust people enough to be without a sidearm.

B

bearguide

best to just walk away from stupid people, and stupid situations // but it is nice to carry a big stick

J-Daddy

WKR
OK I've gotta question for you guys...There's a good chance that we might be doing an early season archery mule deer hunt next year in western Wyoming, there are grizzly in the area, lots of big cats and probably some wolf to add to the fun. I've gotta Taraus .45acp compact I pack on a daily basis since I have my CCW permit...I'm thinking of taking it since it's not a huge framed gun, but it's still a .45 and they pack a pretty good punch. What do you guys who hunt the back country all the time think about that choice?? And any recommendations on ammo for it incase I have to use it in the mountains????

OK I've gotta question for you guys...There's a good chance that we might be doing an early season archery mule deer hunt next year in western Wyoming, there are grizzly in the area, lots of big cats and probably some wolf to add to the fun. I've gotta Taraus .45acp compact I pack on a daily basis since I have my CCW permit...I'm thinking of taking it since it's not a huge framed gun, but it's still a .45 and they pack a pretty good punch. What do you guys who hunt the back country all the time think about that choice?? And any recommendations on ammo for it incase I have to use it in the mountains????

I used to carry my 1911 but never again. I was hunting with my friend and he shot a black bear. As we approached the bear it was still moving so he shot it with his HK usp 45 acp and we backed off. Now granted for some reason he had hollowpoints loaded ,I have no idea why, but after we skinned the bear we found the bullet just under the hide and absolutely no tissue damage. Since then I carry a glock 29 10mm with doubletap widenosed gas-check rounds. that will do the job with no doubts.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I carry a Glock 32 SF Gen 4 in .45 ACP. Never know what you could come across. The question is.....Will you be able to get the right shots off if charged by a bear? Never know.....but it is reassuring knowing I have that option!

The other main 2-legged reason folks carry sidearms in the backcountry is criminals, either illegals coming across the US southern border or folks running meth labs or growing marijuana in isolated areas.

hflier

WKR
I have a Glock 19 or a Taurus Tracker 44 Magnum with 4 inch barrel I almost always carry the .44 magnum in the in the field. I use a Hill People Gear Kit bag, works great! Last weekend I took my boy backpacking in NW Arkansas' Buffalo River Wilderness. There was a guy that saw our camp and came to check us out, he and another were camped about 1/4 mile away. He showed up beer in hand and the moment he saw the kit bag he turned around and left. That works for me. They were not the altruistic backpacker types if you know what I mean. Alot of pot growers in that area.

Last edited:

TwoTikkas

WKR
If I'm going to carry a handgun while hunting it will most times be capable of taking big game. I'm well aquainted with the 2 legged variety of vermin. Being a Constable has a way of introducing you to the unsavory element. But,when afield here in PA I carry a revolver for a secondary piece.
Ruger Super Blackhawk 4 5/8" .44 Mag.
008-1.jpg

Now if I'm out and about in any other fashion,I carry either a G17 full of Winchester Ranger LE 124gr +P Talon Bonded HPs,or a 5 shot 357 stoked with 158gr HPs.
100_0935.jpg

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
I wander about with a 4.2" barreled Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt. If I were somewhere without bear concerns, I'd probably take a G17 along.

I have been somewhat obsessed with this subject after three trips to Kodiak bowhunting Sitka deer with approx. 40 Brown Bear sightings and encounters. I did some testing with the best 44 loads I could find by shooting into steel plate. Garrett Hammerheads, Double Tap, CorBon Penetrators, and Grizzly Punch loads. I determined that for sheer penetration into a bears scull the Punch loads are the best by far. If you are not familiar Google it. They are machined on a lathe out of solid brass.
Initially I shot the 329PD and found that after the first shot the recoil recovery was probably when the bear would have me for lunch. This gun with super hot loads just isn't controllable in my opinion. The cylinder is also too short for the Hammereads and Punch loads. I then went to the 4 inch Redhawk. For Kodiak I think this is the best option unless you want to carry something larger.
Now here is where I am at today.....excluding Kodiak, I am hunting where black and inland grizzlys may be possible among other threats. Knowing that penetration is the name of the game I just bought the new S&W M&P 360 3 inch 357 Mag. Grizzly has a new Punch load in the 357. This gun weighs 14 ounces!! I read over and over that guys end up leaving a sidearm in camp, especially after a couple of hard days. With this setup you don't know it is on your belt, you can shoot hot loads, 38 specials for small game and even shot shells. Probably all most of us need short of a Godzilla attack and I actually have it along.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
I guess it all depends on where you are and what your protecting yourself from On bears I'd say nothing quite beats a shotgun but its not pratical to pack I carry a 40 S&W and has accounted for two black bears. I know something bigger is prefered by most but I can flat out shoot that gun and I think having confidence in hitting what your aiming at is very important.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Either a S&W 629PD (.44 Mag. airweight) or a S&W 340PD (.357 airweight)

Attachments

• 629.jpeg
    629.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 16
  • 340.jpeg
    340.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
Go4theGusto -- interesting post. I'm was not familiar with those Grizzly rounds, but looked and didn't see any in 10mm.

I chose the glock 20 with doubletap 230 gr hard cast bullets (1120 fps/641 ft lbs) because they are designed for Glocks and can really penetrate. When I first got my Glock 20 I shot through a 14" spruce log with the doubletap HC's (haven't wasted any bullets on anything thicker but was somehow reassured that this should also then be able to penetrate a bear) (also saw that the doubletap XTP 200gr rounds on testing had penetrated ballistics gelatin almost 20").

The 10mm doubletaps are easy rounds to shoot out of the Glock and get right back on target for quick follow up shots which is nice for a less experienced handgun shooter like me. Also, with a compact gun like the Glock and at less than 2 1/2 lbs with a full clip in it, then I might actually have it with me when I need it. The 44 mag revolvers can be such beasts, that I just don't see myself ever making the choice take one along when not in Alaska. So, the Glock 20/10mm seems like a good compromise for lower 48 states, even if going in to retrieve meat in potential grizzly country here. Additionally, I have found that my full sized Glock 20 fits perfectly into a Badlands Bino harness and also while inside of a soft case it fits into a Kifaru medium hip belt pocket, giving a guy various situational carry options.

For Alaska/Kodiak, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable carrying the 44 mag, even with some of those powerful rounds like Garrett sells that can only be shot out of a few revolvers safely because of the high pressures. Maybe a short shotgun or lever action in a Kifaru gun bearer would be the ticket there for me?

Mike7, yes I wish they had the Punch loads in a 10mm also. I would be buying a Gen 4 45 and adding a 10mm barrel.
I also carry the DoubleTap loads for my S&W M&P 40 when I chose to carry that. When bears are a concern I opt for the lightweight 357 with punch loads in a Hill People runners kit bag. That way if I drop my pack to make an archery stalk I am covered.
I will shoot the DT 40 loads into some steel plate along with the 357 Punch loads and post some pictures.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
I used to never even think about carrying. But in my present line of work I have had two seperate occations in the past five years with people that made me glad I was armed. Once I raised my shirt to let them know I was armed, that was the end of the situation.

Another time I was doing a silent calling routine for elk when one of those big white guard dogs slipped in on me looking for an elk dinner. And I have been backed down by a couple of other dogs when I got too close to their flock. I would never shoot someones dog unless there was no other way out. Usually a shot in front of them will back them down.

Glock 27 in 40 SW is my choice. Packs easily on the belt of my backpack. I don't even notice it is there.