side arms

trk3263

WKR
I carry about 99% of the time around town and in the woods. Find yourself a holster that is comfortable and you will barely know it is there. Currently I pack a Glock 19 on my side unless I am carrying a rifle then I might leave it at camp or in my pack but I am so use to it being on my side I feel naked without it.
If I am bow hunting which is the norm I always carry it. After Two friends had a cougar in their tent in Hells Canyon and then they were stalked by it to me it is a no brainer.
You call it a security blanket but between the noise and if it gets up close and personal it is more than a security blanket.
I am currently looking at a 357 AirWeight or LCR to carry in the backcountry. A little lighter and more bang for the buck.

Be safe and stay light!

I used to flip flop back and forth over this.

Rifle season I just carry the rifle, always been this way and always will.

Bow season how ever is another story.

I seemed to had the luck of always running into a bear when I left the pistol in camp, since they were black bears I wasn't really concerned about it, 99.99% of the time you stand your ground and yell at them, they get the hell out of dodge.

About ten years ago on a return trip back to the truck I rounded a hair pin on the trail and ran right into a grizzly at ten yards. Me with nothing but my bow and wishful thinking. My guess is he was either following us or heard us bugling and came to investigate. So now I always have a firearm of some sort.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I find this thread kind of funny. First i hunt in areas that have some of the biggest bear and cat populations in North america. In Grizzly country I always carry my weapon, even to the shitter. but have never felt it nessecary to carry a handgun (and its illegal to have a handgun in BC while hunting anyway) I am in no way judging anyone, but it kills me to think someone will spend thousands of dollars to cut weight, and even cut thier toothbrush in half, yet carry a 3 lb sidearm when they have a perfectly good rifle or bow with them. And as far as 2 legged encounters in the back country, I have yet to have an encounter with another person out there that was negative(other then someone being dumb and wlaking in on you hunting or something) let alone require a handgun .

Lorne

ckleeves

WKR
I find this thread kind of funny. First i hunt in areas that have some of the biggest bear and cat populations in North america. In Grizzly country I always carry my weapon, even to the shitter. but have never felt it nessecary to carry a handgun (and its illegal to have a handgun in BC while hunting anyway) I am in no way judging anyone, but it kills me to think someone will spend thousands of dollars to cut weight, and even cut thier toothbrush in half, yet carry a 3 lb sidearm when they have a perfectly good rifle or bow with them. And as far as 2 legged encounters in the back country, I have yet to have an encounter with another person out there that was negative(other then someone being dumb and wlaking in on you hunting or something) let alone require a handgun .

Lorne

X2! My sidearm is a full 5 arrow quiver. The guys that really kill me are the rifle hunters that also carry a handgun.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
X2! My sidearm is a full 5 arrow quiver. The guys that really kill me are the rifle hunters that also carry a handgun.

I don't carry a handgun when I'm rifle hunting, but when I'm going to chase grizz this spring/summer with a bow, you better believe I'm one of the pansy that will rely on a handgun and not a quiver for my "backup" when going solo.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I don't carry a handgun when I'm rifle hunting, but when I'm going to chase grizz this spring/summer with a bow, you better believe I'm one of the pansy that will rely on a handgun and not a quiver for my "backup" when going solo.

100% makes sense. IF you have the balls enough hunt a grizz with a bow solo you deserve a handgun!! hahahaha

Lorne

ckleeves

WKR

I would carry in grizz country, I was talking black bear and lion country.

Randle

WKR
I carry only during archery season , A quiver full of arrows give me little comfort when I had seven wolves in my area, as we walked in on a 5 point bull they were feeding on.

bowuntr

WKR
The only time I've carried a handgun is in Alaska. I don't see a need for it unless I'm hunting an area with big bears. Ed F

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
In town: Glock 36 .45 cal (concealed). In woods: S&W 329pd .44 cal. In AK: Marlin 45-70 guide gun or .44 depending. Lots of different, reasonable viewpoints on this. I simply sleep better armed. A grizz may chew my scalp off in a soft shelter at night but I'll be in REM sleep if it happens :) Like others have stated; two legged critters scare me more than four legged, fuzzy ones.

When hunting I normally carry just my rifle.
When scouting, backpacking or hiking I carry my HK USP in 40 most of the time. I have found the Wildnerness Safepacker and easy holster system to use for pack use. I will fit over or on nearly any pack belt, fully conceals your handgun and an extra mag and can easily be taken off in camp for belt wear or with a shoulder strap. For fly fishing I usually carry my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt loaded up with birdshot for the pesky rattlers than hang out in the cool shade on hot summer days:) I carry the Colt in my HPG Kit bag along with my fly gear and hit the creek for the afternoon.
In town and at home, a Sig 225. It's just like my keys and phone, I literally don't walk out of the house without it. We live in the country, but not far enough out. Lots of gang issues, home invasions and such in our part of the state. I don't even go to the dog kennel at night without my sidearm.

tater

WKR
As another BC boy who lives and hunts in Grizzly, big black bear, and cougar country your brain is your best weapon.
Statistically, the drive to your hunting area is the most dangerous part of the trip. Having a clean camp, good bear cache, and being fully aware of your surroundings are what keeps you safe. If it is to the point where defence is necessary, you have already screwed up royally.

I did not carry this past year on my 12 day solo archery hunt. I did everything to get the weight down so I did not want to have the weight penalty of a side arm. How ever real or perceived I wish I had and would have slept better at night. I just got a S&W 329 and was going to run a Hill People Gear Kit Bag. For those of you that do carry. How do you carry in the back country.

When fly fishing the backcountry a .357 SP101 in leather chest holster with Buffalo Bore ammo. When hunting big game I feel I have much better situational awareness and ony carry the rifle or bow (not grizz country).

shooten

FNG
It's illegal to carry in my state while bowhunting. Being close to the border, the two-legged animals are much more dangerous than the four-legged ones around here.