Side by side, the 50” trail versions

MHWASH

WKR
I’m looking to switch it up from my ATV to a 50” trail SxS. Specifically the Polaris RZR or CanAm Maverick Trail.
Does anybody has specific experience with either one? I’ll be buying new or like new.

11boo

WKR
I was Having a hard time deciding on a 50” or full size last summer. I went full size, I didn’t see the smaller one having enough room to haul stuff. Yes I am locked out of a few trails, but not that many here.
ended up with a Wolverine x2

IDLassie

FNG
I wouldn't touch a RzR. Know several woodland fires started by Rzr's. Seen several that just caught on fire and burned up in driveways. Polaris has been very slow to figure the problem out and most of the time won't even consider reimbursement.
Had a Canam Commander just traded for a Can Am Defender. I'll take the work/horse over the play/horse anytime of the week now.

BluMtn

WKR
In my group there is only one 50". They do not ride as well as a 60", or 64". We have a couple 72"s, but they have issues on the tight trails. Having worked on ATVs and UTVs for about 20 years now and I have learned that Polaris would not be on my top 100 list to buy. None of them are perfect but there seems to be issues with every model they have.

Last edited:

etch101

FNG
My cousin had a tail rated one and he loved it. Had plenty of room and enough room for both our hunting gear for the day. I am a bigger guy and thought I would be cramped but was surprised at how comfortable it was. When I get a side by side I will be looking at the trail rated 50 inch version. For now I will keep my quads though.

ahlgringo

WKR
I was in a similar boat a few yrs back. In CO there are a good proportion of atv trails are 50” limited. I ended up with a honda pioneer. Its no frills, relatively inexpensive, and climbs like a goat with the granny first gear. Tops out at about 40 mph. I put a roof, cargo box, windshield, bigger tires, bumper, winch and skid plates on her. I am all in for less than 10k.

It handles trails pretty well, and I have been pretty happy with its hauling capacity. Its a honda, and has had zero issues.

That being said, i have met a few guys with both 50” polaris and can-ams. They are much more “plush”, will leave me in the dust, but also cost a good bit more.

I will say that 50” machines are much “tippier” on laterally uneven trails and you obviously cant shift your weight like on a quad. I have had several times I thought I was going to tip over, and have on one occasion where I was on a trail I never should have been.

Overall, super happy with it for what it is and what my needs are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a pioneer 500. I get a lot of "Weird looks" on the trail form the 4 wheeler guys. Know this, it will flip over easily when you load it.

danarnold

WKR
polaris I would never own, we've had can am products since 03 and continue to buy/use them.
had a commander for several years without any issues, went to a defender which we love and def considered the mav trail but heard Colorado would soon be shutting down trails to any SXS so I'll stick to my 4wheeler for those trails

fmyth

WKR
I have a 2013 Polaris XP that is about to turn 8,000 mls. It had a bettery charging issue when new but the repair was covered under warranty. Not one issue since. I also have a 2008 Rhino that has been a great machine and in 5 years have only replaced the fuel pump which was under $100 and was an easy repair.

Nobody puts more miles on side-by-side machines then dog hunters. Every Houndsman I know has gone to the Honda Pioneer 500 for 50” trails. I know of a couple that have over 20,000 miles on them at one that’s fast approaching 50,000 miles if that tells you anything about their durability.

If my Kubota RTV 500 ever gives out I’ll replace it with a Pioneer 500. I’ve got 1900 hours on my RTV 500 with no issues other than it’s slower than dirt. The upside with the RTV is that it has a much lower center of gravity then other machines in its class and is far less tippy. Plus it has an actual usable bed on it. The Honda definitely climbs better and has a smoother ride, but on washout trails poor side hills the RTV has the advantage.

A couple guys I know have considered Can-Am‘s but backed away from it due to the limited dealer network and expensive replacement parts.

blackdawg

WKR
Pioneer 500 also, sure beats the getting pounded by the wind/rain over the ATV. Nimble enough to go places the bigger units will not reach.Nowhere near as capable or comfortable as some of the dedicated play SxS’s. However from a utility standpoint it’s a great little unit that is hard to beat imho. Not much more expensive than an ATV. I use mine almost everyday for work around the property. I have a 2015 model and it hasn’t seen a wrench . The little machine can tow a surprising amount of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing on the 50". Here in Idaho, if you are in a restricted MV area, you can only travel on the full roads when hunting, so that negates the 50" need. I have both a full size Polaris Ranger and a Can Am wheeler. Both have been trouble free. The Polaris gets more use during hunting season.

BBB

FNG
I have a 500 pioneer. Not gonna win any races and you don’t want a fat guy in passenger seat on an angled trail, but a solid machine

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
I’m normally a Honda fan, but the Pioneer just isn’t what I’m looking for. This will be purely be for fun, but will see use as a snow plow. Where we ride in Idaho we’re legally limited to 50”. A lot of my riding you could not even get a 60” machine through. They all seem to have their + & -.

BluMtn

WKR
I’m normally a Honda fan, but the Pioneer just isn’t what I’m looking for. This will be purely be for fun, but will see use as a snow plow. Where we ride in Idaho we’re legally limited to 50”. A lot of my riding you could not even get a 60” machine through. They all seem to have their + & -.

What part of Idaho do you ride? I ride a lot of Idaho every year for the last 17 years and have not run into an issue of not getting to were we want to go.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
What part of Idaho do you ride? I ride a lot of Idaho every year for the last 17 years and have not run into an issue of not getting to were we want to go.

Elk River, Laird Park, Clarkia.

BluMtn

WKR
Ride that area. Good ride is Clarkia to Wallace, or Clarkia up frozen creek. Lots of great areas to ride. Musselshell up the lolo motorway or weippe to Elk river, more great area to ride.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Yes lots of good riding. Have yet to do Clarkia to Avery. Did Wallace to Avery couple years ago, and lots of Elk River to Clarkia. Great grouse hunting on that trip.