Side by side

I get what your saying here. It’s really hard to justify the taxes and licenses for a Tacoma. Not sure how much a used one in that range would be but the new ones are out there. For those that have one, how do they do in the sand? Where I hunt its basically a giant sand dune. I almost buried my truck this last weekend. If I would have, not sure I wouldn’t have had to leave it for winter. Sadly its the only access to the area unless you walk for 4 miles to where the hunting is. Sorry for the rant there. I appreciate everyone’s advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't understand what problem you're having with sand. I regularly take an f-350 with a 3000 pound camper out on Assateague Island, which can be pure sugar sand.

Are you airing down?

A tacoma would fly over the sand. Any vehicle should be aired down 'til the tires bulge (at least) to traverse sand.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I don't understand what problem you're having with sand. I regularly take an f-350 with a 3000 pound camper out on Assateague Island, which can be pure sugar sand.

Are you airing down?

A tacoma would fly over the sand. Any vehicle should be aired down 'til the tires bulge (at least) to traverse sand.

I was going too but that trip I didn’t have a compressor. You go through the sand and than rock hop for a couple miles. I just didn’t want to pinch a tire in the rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
Couple thoughts, a Tacoma or a Jeep or any road legal midsize may go anywhere and do almost anything a UTV will in the high desert country. If you also use it in the mountains they won't even sniff what a UTV will do. An 800-1200lb vehicle vs 4000lb in muddy trail conditions isn't even close. Ride comfort on rocky mountain trails is going to be a huge nod to utv's also, which translates to getting where you need to go a lot quicker. There are a lot of tacomas and rubicon jeeps around here I don't think I've ever seen one on what I'd consider a typical "jeep" type trail, atv's and UTV's all the time. Midsize's are also going to require a full on carhauler trailer, utv will not. We've got a 900Xp and a 50" rzr both have served us well.

Couple thoughts, a Tacoma or a Jeep or any road legal midsize may go anywhere and do almost anything a UTV will in the high desert country. If you also use it in the mountains they won't even sniff what a UTV will do. An 800-1200lb vehicle vs 4000lb in muddy trail conditions isn't even close. Ride comfort on rocky mountain trails is going to be a huge nod to utv's also, which translates to getting where you need to go a lot quicker. There are a lot of tacomas and rubicon jeeps around here I don't think I've ever seen one on what I'd consider a typical "jeep" type trail, atv's and UTV's all the time. Midsize's are also going to require a full on carhauler trailer, utv will not. We've got a 900Xp and a 50" rzr both have served us well.

Good point on the weight. The Samurai aregument comes up often and just yesterday I googles the weights for comparison. A Geo Tracker is 3000 pounds, a SxS 1500. Big difference.

OP
WyoBowhunter21

Very good point! It’s not that my current ride won’t get me there it’s how much I will tear up getting in and out, both on my vehicle and the country. Your points about weight though is exactly why I am even considering a sxs. It’s a lot easier to pull out an atv or sxs.

87TT

WKR
Good point on the weight. The Samurai aregument comes up often and just yesterday I googles the weights for comparison. A Geo Tracker is 3000 pounds, a SxS 1500. Big difference.
I have owned 4 Sammys over the years including a 1987 tin top I bought brand new in 1987. I have also owned a Sidekick(tracker). The Sammy is way better in most offroad situations. My current one is an 87 tin top with a smail (4") lift, 235 tires and a lower geared transfer case(4:16). It has an 8000 lb winch on the front. Permanent safari rack with a Hi Lift jack. I have jack points all the way around. A shovel, axe, and Machete live in the back. It probably weighs in at around 2500-2700 lbs. I have not found a SxS trail I can't run on if I choose. I have always made it back. I bought it for $1200 and after a new engine, Tcase, paint job. re apholstered seats, lift, winch, headers, bumper, rack and all, I'm in for around $5000. Some of the SxS's I see are bigger than me. And I have hauled elk in the back with the rear seat folded up. probably could have fit two.

DesertJoe

FNG
Pure speed on the trail a the UTV will win, but you can drive a midsized Tacoma to the trail with your full camp in it. No need to haul it, no time unloading it, no figuring out what you leave and what you take from the truck, and no worry some ashhat messes with your truck because they think you're in "their hunting spot". The Tacos do great on sand, especially the 4x4 TRD off-road package with the rear locker. If it's your hunting truck you should get as aggressive a tire as you like that still handle snow, but they can handle sand with a healthy set of road tires. Most folks I've talked to that spend a long drive in the UTV say they wear you down far more than a drive in a truck, and if you have your hunting camp in the UTV I'm not so convinced you'll be able to boogie down the trail at a much faster clip. Add in unloading time and loading gear, and you might be back to square one.

Side note, a cheap Wal-Mart compressor will pump you back up, but you probably won't pinch a tire unless you're airing down so far you're at risk of needing beadlocks. Lower air pressures make for a smoother ride so long as you aren't running near your vehicle/tire's carrying capacity or at speed.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have the 500?

We have a 500 and a 700. The 500 has the same wheelbase as a bigger four wheeler so fits in the back of the pickup which is a plus. Smaller and more nimble than my 700. But not much room to just throw things in that 500 unless you put a box on the back or bungy the hell out of everything. I got the 700 for the cargo room, can fit 3 in the front and a little more comfort and power.

I went with Honda because they use a transmission instead of belt driven. If you use them a lot that belt will give you hell. We’re in a farm/ranch situation so they get used. The Rangers gave us issues in that way. My dealer said he thinks the 700 is hard to beat for a machine. The 1000’s seem nice but just big, heavy and a little more to them when servicing. The 5 and 700 just change the oil and your good. The transmission, power steering and engine oil all run off the same tank.

Just my .02 but maybe I should have them on for a podcast episode... they carry the bigger brands and could compare. Good thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danarnold

WKR
if doing SXS Can Am cant be beat, I've been in the powersports industry for 30 years and have seen more failures with Polaris than any other, Honda has some nice products but doesn't compare ... A couple friends went with Honda for the last couple years and say they'll be going back to Can Am.
I personally have owned Can Am's since 2003 (4 wheelers-SXS since 12)and couldn't be happier

OP
WyoBowhunter21
We have a 500 and a 700. The 500 has the same wheelbase as a bigger four wheeler so fits in the back of the pickup which is a plus. Smaller and more nimble than my 700. But not much room to just throw things in that 500 unless you put a box on the back or bungy the hell out of everything. I got the 700 for the cargo room, can fit 3 in the front and a little more comfort and power.

I went with Honda because they use a transmission instead of belt driven. If you use them a lot that belt will give you hell. We’re in a farm/ranch situation so they get used. The Rangers gave us issues in that way. My dealer said he thinks the 700 is hard to beat for a machine. The 1000’s seem nice but just big, heavy and a little more to them when servicing. The 5 and 700 just change the oil and your good. The transmission, power steering and engine oil all run off the same tank.

Just my .02 but maybe I should have them on for a podcast episode... they carry the bigger brands and could compare. Good thought

Thanks Jordan. I would listen to that podcast (I do most of them ha) but I appreciate the feedback. I was looking at the 700 and the 500. I just wasn’t sure if the 500 has the power.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
if doing SXS Can Am cant be beat, I've been in the powersports industry for 30 years and have seen more failures with Polaris than any other, Honda has some nice products but doesn't compare ... A couple friends went with Honda for the last couple years and say they'll be going back to Can Am.
I personally have owned Can Am's since 2003 (4 wheelers-SXS since 12)and couldn't be happier

This is what I have been hearing. Between a Honda and a can am. Right now i can’t find an 800 can am anywhere so I am not sure I will end up with one.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Pure speed on the trail a the UTV will win, but you can drive a midsized Tacoma to the trail with your full camp in it. No need to haul it, no time unloading it, no figuring out what you leave and what you take from the truck, and no worry some ashhat messes with your truck because they think you're in "their hunting spot". The Tacos do great on sand, especially the 4x4 TRD off-road package with the rear locker. If it's your hunting truck you should get as aggressive a tire as you like that still handle snow, but they can handle sand with a healthy set of road tires. Most folks I've talked to that spend a long drive in the UTV say they wear you down far more than a drive in a truck, and if you have your hunting camp in the UTV I'm not so convinced you'll be able to boogie down the trail at a much faster clip. Add in unloading time and loading gear, and you might be back to square one.

Side note, a cheap Wal-Mart compressor will pump you back up, but you probably won't pinch a tire unless you're airing down so far you're at risk of needing beadlocks. Lower air pressures make for a smoother ride so long as you aren't running near your vehicle/tire's carrying capacity or at speed.

That makes a lot of sense. If we had the funds for another truck I would buy one in a heart beat. I like the Tacoma’s but they just can’t pull what I need them too. I occasionally pull a horse trailer goose neck. I was a little nervous dropping tire pressure. I have 60 ish in the front and 80ish in the rears.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Jordan. I would listen to that podcast (I do most of them ha) but I appreciate the feedback. I was looking at the 700 and the 500. I just wasn’t sure if the 500 has the power.

I haven’t noticed any power difference really. Just depends what your wanting to pull, but like going up steep hills with a bunch of stuff strapped on hasn’t seemed to bother it. We pull calf sleds with it and a little yard trailer type thing. Haven’t tried pulling those up a steep hill but we have pulled them in the snow and been okay.

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Generals are sweet but expensive. Can-am makes a pretty sweet crossover that is comparable to the general, at a little lower price point, which may be better with the new babe. Hoping to get to test them both out soon

personally I can't stand the things, with that said I bought my wife one. she just lost the keys.
one thing we have seen is you are never done buying things for it. windshield means windshield wiper, defroster, oh I need a back window now and side windows, ect, ect.

JMayne

FNG
^^^^Buzz Killers.

Every time a side by side thread comes up, I start drooling and dreaming, and my wallet starts to get hot. Then someone eventually chimes in the Tacoma argument, and brings me crashing back to reality. My 4runner kicks ass, why do I get suckered in?

Thanks for the reality check!

You get it just like I do. I want one so bad but the Tacoma argument gets me every time with the truck bed. the rzr just cant provide that.

JMayne

FNG
I have had a 2013 Ranger 900 since new and have never broken a belt in over 7,000 miles of AZ trails, Glamis Sand dunes and hunting trips. I changed the first belt as preventative maintenance at 3,500 miles. The original belt still measured within specs and I carry it as a spare. It only took me about 30 min to change the belt. If I were you I'd buy a new Polaris brand belt and change it now for peace of mind and so you'll know how to do it and can carry the correct tools with your spare belt.

Does your 900 have enough power to get over the rough trails? I have been debating on a 900 or 1000 and just can decide if $2000 is worth the extra get up.