Side effects of lasik/prk and the outdoor experience

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy Rokslide,

I broke two pairs of glasses this week and just signed up for another lasik consultation.

I know folks are generally very happy with the results of lasik/prk. However, I've never met anyone who got the operation that spends as much time outdoors as you folks.

I am asking about the lasik experience for people who spend a lot of time looking through optics, getting blasted in the face with wind, and encountering a lot of dust.

Has anyone had any problems with dry eyes or increased sensitivity to dust and sunlight? I work almost entirely outdoors and would be very bummed out if I suddenly had to rely on eye drops.

If you do experience bad side effects, do you still consider the operation to be worth it?

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
So i am in the same boat as you and researching. From what i read, eye drops are going to be a necessity (i already carry it with me for contacts). I am hoping i do not have parallax issues with scopes or light. Same with night time glare. Waiting till next summer before potentially going for it.

I got lasik about 5 years ago, best money I’ve ever spent! The only downside is dry eyes which to me isn’t that big of a deal. I’m not moisturizing my eyes all day long and I stay pretty well hydrated which seems to help. I detested glasses and hated contacts. Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
I just had PRK in July and it has been a life changer. I haven't experienced dry eyes at all, but have noticed my eyes are a little bit more sensitive to sunlight than before but not too bad. I also still have some halos around lights at night, but it has slowly been improving. I work outside most of the day as well and haven't had any issues.

Like everyone else has said it's the best money I've ever spent. Dealing with contacts in the backcountry is a pain in the ass.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I wore contacts for 15 years and had lasik a year ago on both eyes. A huge motivation of mine was not having to deal with contacts or glasses in the outdoors. I highly recommend it and would do it again if I had to. Yes I do have to use eye drops regularly before bed and sometime waking up, but my eye drop use is decreasing. When outdoors backpacking and hunting I no longer have to deal with contacts, but on windy days I do have to use eye drops. But lasik or no lasik, i would want/need eye drops on windy or dusty days anyway. You still should wear sunglasses, to prevent normal uv damage, and in high winds I wear clear uv safety glasses for increased comfort and protection and to minimize eye strain for better glassing. I have had no problems with rifle scopes or swarovski el binos before or after lasik. My long distance vision is amazing and better than contacts.

TXCO

WKR
I did it in 2015. Had to use eye drops as prescribed for a few days then off and on for a few months. After that, no issues with dry eyes at all. Its a life changer to the good for outdoor activities. Im so happy I did it.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Best money I've ever spent.

Just dont try to be the tuff guy an not opt for the pain killers immediately afterward. Felt like a million bucks. Until about 1am when I found myself sitting outside in sub 30degree weather with a blanket holding my eyes open cause it felt like a cat was clawing my eyeballs out.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I had LASIK about 20 years ago also and would do it again if I needed it. I wore glasses for a few years and then contacts before my LASIK. It was such a big improvement for me. I'd recommend it! The side effects, rare dry eyes, were minimal.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
I got PRK done 6 or 7 years ago. Trying to look through optics on a hunt during snowy weather was the last piece of motivation I needed. My only regret was not getting it 5 years earlier.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I did it 12-15 years ago, no dry eyes, some increased sunlight sensitivity but not unbearable, worth every penny to not have to dick with glasses and/or contacts

bozeman

WKR
I had Lasik approx 20 years ago and its about time to for an adjustment....worth every DIME!!

Baddog

WKR
I wore glasses and contacts for 20 years before lasik. Wish I’d have done it sooner. I used eye drops for s week after surgery and haven’t needed since. But from what I’ve gathered dry eyes is going to be a thing for some. But waking up in the morning in a tent and not having to put in contacts is great.

I had it done in 2011. The only side effect was dry eyes, and that lasted a month or two at the most. Nine years later, I experience no side effects or downside. Just 20/20 vision as I glass for game. My advice is to go for it- best money I ever spent!

HoneyDew

WKR
I think the biggest impact on your experience is going to be your age and general eye conditions. I got lasik at 22 after my prescription and eyes were stable for a few years as recommended. I had mild astigmatism but it was within the allowable parameters. 10 years later still perfect 20/20 and I would say it is still probably the biggest change I’ve made to my daily life. Worth every penny. When picking a place it should be not super expensive but not coupon clipping cheap. And they should have already performed the surgery 1,000s-10,000+ times. That’s how you know they have a stable quality performance.

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had Lasik in 2007...best money ever spent. Had great results. No side effects. Have one eye that isn’t quite as clear as the other one but that is from having metal filings from work cut out. I would do it again in a heart beat and will do a touch up someday when needed. Still seeing 20/20 13 years later.

Finch

WKR
I've been wearing contacts for about 20 years now (since I was 15) and have often wondered about getting lasik. I just can't come to have it done. Contacts are a slight inconvenience (if any) and my thoughts are why risk it.

I see plenty of people on here who have had Lasik and that's great. I'm just being overly cautious. Good luck with your decision!

Titan

WKR
I just had my PRK consultation. I like all these positive reviews as I was a little worried about it. Especially being told that I would need reading glasses in 10 years. Not sure about trading off glasses for more glasses later.

had lasik in 15 or 16. Nighttime vision was impaired for a bit after, i think it's back to normal now. I am more sensitive to sunlight but nothing terrible. Eyes get dry looking into the wind but honestly i hadn't thought about it being caused by lasik, assume they'd get dry regardless.

I can't imagine choosing to live with glasses/contacts over lasik now. Especially when it comes to any active outdoor activities.

I had PRK several years ago. I sometimes have dry eyes and need to use eyedrops, but less often than I had to use them due to irritation from contacts before surgery. Having the surgery was one of the best decisions I have made for making outdoors activities easier.