Side effects of lasik/prk and the outdoor experience

wyosteve

WKR
You're going to need reading glasses in any event. It's a function of aging. PRK or Lasik won't eliminate that need, just might delay it. I had PRK done in 1997. No dry eyes or other problems. Still 20/20 and 20/15. Best money I ever spent!

dmc

FNG
I had lasik 10 years ago and it has been great. No dry eyes. Only issue I noticed was the starburst or blooming around lights while driving at night (red dots sights seem to do the same thing). I don't really notice it anymore.

For the amount of money I see people spend on gear, I cannot fathom why they wouldn't spend money to get corrective eye surgery. I got PRK 11 years ago and I have zero side effects. Even if it gave me dry eyes, I would be more than happy to carry around some eye drops vs fogging up glasses/dealing with contacts EVER AGAIN. I was blind as a bat, now see 20/15 in both eyes.

TheGDog

WKR
Question for you guys that have had these procedures. So I can understand better how it is carried out the day of.

Just to ease my concerns about potential for bad-luck or freak-accidents to occur.

Is the procedure mostly carried out by devices? In other words how much of the process relies upon that other human executing steps without error? Or is it more like you're strapped in, and a machine is being controlled/programmed/run by the human? How do they prevent the patient from inadvertantly electing to look with their eyeballs over to one side the instant before a laser is about to fire off?

Just some of the thoughts about the process I've had.

Both dudes I know that hunt and have had lasik wear glasses today. One of them, and maybe both, required it a second time, and apparently you can only get it twice. I assess it as a nice way to ditch your spectacles for some time, but your vision is going to change and you're either going to need another round or to go back to corrective lenses.

Question for you guys that have had these procedures. So I can understand better how it is carried out the day of.

Just to ease my concerns about potential for bad-luck or freak-accidents to occur.

Is the procedure mostly carried out by devices? In other words how much of the process relies upon that other human executing steps without error? Or is it more like you're strapped in, and a machine is being controlled/programmed/run by the human? How do they prevent the patient from inadvertantly electing to look with their eyeballs over to one side the instant before a laser is about to fire off?

Just some of the thoughts about the process I've had.
I'm sure the technology for PRK has changed since I had it done over a decade ago. I had some eye gadget hold my eyes open, some drops in my eyes that made them completely numb. I laid on the table, and they swung a machine arm over my face, told me to stare at the red dot and do not move. I could hear clicking sounds as the laser did its work, and what blew my mind was after a few seconds that fuzzy red dot became crystal clear. They swung the machine over to the other side and boom, I sat up and could see clear as day. The pain and sensitivity came on as the numbing drops began to wear off shortly after.

I guess if you were an idiot and jerked your head or eyes around while the laser was going off you could get messed up? This is like saying when you go to get your balls snipped so you can't have anymore kids you may jump in the air whilst the scalpel is doing its business..... I guess that could happen?

TheGDog

WKR
You will never forget the moment the "snip" happens. Even though you're not feeling the pain of it... I could instantly feel a small bit of the shock-reaction in my guts feeling a lil queesy right after the "snip".

It was a brand new surgery center they'd opened up at the company my wife worked at. Whenever they open a new surgery center they have to perform a certain number of procedures for free in order to become accredited or something, so I was getting this for free.

After the snip... he goes to reach for the machine with the wand to perform cauterizing and as he pushes on the pedal... nothing!.... tells the attendee to try cranking the dail up to more amperage... nothing. Rolls over a second machine.. nothing...

For a brief instant can't tell you how much anxiety was starting to well up within me.... until he bothered to reassure me and say, oh well, that's ok, we'll just have to do it ol' skool and suture it up.

Apparently they remove a section... then take the two ends and fold them back on themselves and staple the bend closed. Otherwise, if they don't, apparently what's happened is... the two tubes can try to reachout and re-attach to each other and re-establish the connection! Apparently it's happened before! And of course, when that did, I'm sure whoever that was they had to payout a big settlement to, hence the reason they do all those measures now.

TheGDog

WKR
Meh... re: the Lasik.. I guess just naturally... from concern.. I suppose a person will keep their eyes focused on the stuff pointing at their eye in close proximity?

prm

WKR
I had LASIK in ~2003. Due for a refresh, but I have zero regrets. I kind of thought I was a little more sensitive to very high contrast situations, bright sun while in dark timber, but not certain. It beats contacts and/or glasses x1000.

Titan

WKR
The machines they have now will cut off if excess movement is detected. No issue there. Still freaks me out a little though.

Also, no vision insurance here. Both eyes for $3,800. Not sure if that's a good deal or not.

The only side effect I experienced was being able to see the Milky Way crystal clear when stepping out of tent.

I got the surgery in the afternoon and the next morning was rock hopping across creeks with a loaded pack.

It’s been almost a decade for me and still far and away the best investment I’ve ever made for my outdoor pursuits!

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I had lasik a couple year ago at 52 yo and the only side effect has been that I see a lot more game than I did before with foggy glasses.

TheGDog

WKR
The machines they have now will cut off if excess movement is detected. No issue there. Still freaks me out a little though.

Also, no vision insurance here. Both eyes for $3,800. Not sure if that's a good deal or not.
THANK YOU! That's the kinda stuff I needed to hear, Ok. I just get real nervy when I think about it because even though my eyes now suck these days... at least they are corrected with glasses (for now). And as I like to say "I know my luck." so I worry that I'd be that one-in-a-million poor bastard where something that should never happen, happens.

So reassuring to hear it's got some safeguards in it. Thanks!

ridgefire

WKR
I had PRK done probably 12 years ago and it's probably the best money I have ever spent. I had some sensitivity and halos at night but would not hesitate to get out done again if ever needed. They wanted $4800 and I talked them down to $1000 an eye out the door. They were running a special for $499 an eye and I asked them why they were trying to charge me so much for the exact same procedure and they said people with bad eyesight are willing to spend more money on it. It might be worthwhile to dicker on the price especially if they are running any specials.

Marble

WKR
My wife had the surgery about 5 years ago and it was life changing. Everything hunting and outdoors changed for her. Some of the best money we have ever spent.

She had no idea what she was missing. She saw things for the first time in her life at 36 years old that she had been seeing forever, but not really seeing. She cried when she walked outside the office when she could see the leaves on the trees wiggling in the wind.

The reflections on the water.

And her archery went from barely above pathetic to competing for first in every competition she entered.

And she wore contacts prior to that.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
For thisw with the dry eye concerns. There is a procedure that opens the tear duct they can do at the time of surgery that helps. It helped.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

PRK 25 yrs ago, still see 20/20, no real side effects that are not manageable, i may see a halo at night on signs when the head lights hit them, but could not tell what the normal is as it has been a long time, does not decrease night vision or anything. Was 4 grand back then in Calgary, best money ever spent.

TheGDog

WKR
Common thread seems to be "Best Money Ever Spent!" Note to self, start budgeting for it now.