Side effects of lasik/prk and the outdoor experience

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Best 3500 dollars I’ve ever spent in my entire life. Took a couple weeks to not immediately reach for glasses first thing in the morning. I literally got it done with elk hunting in mind. My eyes are a bit dryer but man is it a game changer. No contacts or glasses to mess with, I absolutely love it.

I'll echo the "best money I ever spent" sentiment. Before having Lasik in 2012, I couldn't even read the big "E" at the top of the vision test chart. I had to use eye drops a few times a day for a few months post-surgery and my eyes are still a little more sensitive to irritants such as dust and smoke than they used to be, but that's a small price to pay to not have to mess with glasses or contacts. The only other side effect has been some mild "halo-ing"/"starbursting" when looking at lights at night.

I got Lasik about five years ago. Shortly after I healed, my vision was absolutely incredible. Thereafter, it decreased slightly but is still probably at least 20x20. Before the procedure, I was about 20x200.

Initially, I noticed that my eyes felt dry in the evenings and moisturizing eye drops became part of my daily routine. I've since fallen out of that habit.

My night driving decreased some. Headlights, streetlights, etc, have a starburst effect that was not previously present. I also have a noticeable decrease in depth perception when driving at night. It's not to a level of impairment but something that I am aware of. I drive a little slower and take a bit more time, that's about it.

The benefits far outweigh the costs. I just told my buddy yesterday that I would pay for it again every year or even twice a year if I had to.

I was near sighted and had a mild astigmatism. LASIK in 2009 Took care of the near sighted thing. 20/20 at least. Astigmatism was still an issue and I might say I was slightly more prone to “staring” and “halting” of bright lights at night. Overall improvement of vision was exceptional and well worth the money to be rid of glass for over 10 years.

don’t go cheap. I had a friend do the dollar store version. He had some real issues And had to have two follow up procedures to fix his eyes. Ended up costing him far more than I spent. Get a reputable doctor that has done a few hundred, if not a few 1000 Of them. One with a good, modern machine.

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely the best thing I ever did for myself. Worst part about it was the drops afterwards would go from my eyes, down my sinus cavities and into my throat; worst TASTE ever!

Dry eye issue I had with contacts disappeared. I can see better, halo effect is less. If do it every year if that's what it took.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Wife had it done in 2005 but went back to having to wear glasses after 8 years. Every Doc she’s talked to said they won’t touch her eyes so she’d have to go back to the original one in Norfolk. She has since found a new treatment and has been glass free for 2 years. Father in law had lasik done around the same time(70years old) around here with no issues.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had it done 3 times. I have a dryness issue if I don’t take fish oil pills. I take about 1000mg of fish oil every night and have zero issues.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Tagged for info.

Been considering this for awhile. I have a pretty bad astigmatism and the thought of having to deal with starbursting/halos at night is what keeps me away. I wore hard contacts for a number of years and could not drive at night with those in. The starbursting/halo effect was debilitating with those things. The thought of having that and not being able to do anything about it scares the hell out of me.

LandYacht

WKR
LASIK 5 years ago. Nothing negative to report at all. Best money I’ve ever spent. Not sure your location, but went to Icon LASIK in Lonetree, Colorado and was very impressed. $1k an eye, it could be cheaper now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ggj80

FNG
I had lasik 9 years ago. I occasionally have dry eyes if I’m dehydrated and my night vision isn’t the greatest but I’d do it again in heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl86

FNG
Had PRK year and a half ago. I was a welder, and was told 7-8 yrs ago that if i had the procedure done then, with my career it may not last. Then i switched jobs and had it done. Absolutely best money i ever spent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for their comments. I have been contemplating getting LASIK as well. I've noticed issues with shooting my bow at anything past 40 yards. When I use glasses the sight picture/ peep don't line up. Anyone else get LASIK to be able to bow hunt again?

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Lasik is awesome. Only issue I had was my right eye got to 20/20 but my left eye got to 20/15. And I was right eye dominant. First time I tried to shoot a shotgun after Lasik was not pretty.

So you guys that had either procedure did your vision change regarding your bow sight or scope? I have read that you will have a need for reading glasses or cheaters after surgery. Maybe just BS but I can read up close no issues right now and don’t want that to go away.

1303CEC

FNG
Anyone looking into lasik or PRK might also want to look into the Visian ICL. Unlike the other procedures, it is additive and does not require a laser or flap. They basically implant lenses that are UV blocking and can be changed later if your vision changes. I was 20/10 after the procedure.

So you guys that had either procedure did your vision change regarding your bow sight or scope? I have read that you will have a need for reading glasses or cheaters after surgery. Maybe just BS but I can read up close no issues right now and don’t want that to go away.
Depends how old you are. Everyone will eventually lose the ability to focus their lens inside the eye, a condition known as presbyopia. This means everyone at some point will require help seeing up close in the form of readers or bifocals, unless you are near sighted and can read without glasses naturally. But even those folks will reauire bifocals or readers if they correct their distance vision with glasses or contacts.
Bottom line, sights for guns and bows and other optics such as binos and rfs are set to be used for distance vision even in people who are presbyopic. So if your distance vision is good, you will be good to go for almost all intents and purposes for hunting or outdoor stuff, save reading your gps and phones.

Anyone looking into lasik or PRK might also want to look into the Visian ICL. Unlike the other procedures, it is additive and does not require a laser or flap. They basically implant lenses that are UV blocking and can be changed later if your vision changes. I was 20/10 after the procedure.
ICL is a good surgery, but it is a higher risk surgery than lasik because they are inside the eye surgery vs an external surgery like lasik and prk.
another thing to consider with ICL is the risk for cataract formation. While low, it isnt zero, and there is also an issue with corneal damage every time you go inside the eye, again low but real.
i have placed many ICLs and have taken several out due to early cataract formation. But they are a good surgery if the indication is correct and the patient can afford the cost vs lasik. For my practice, ICL is about double the cost of lasik.

Any questions about eyes or surgical vision correction feel free to shoot my way, i do this for a living and am happy to answer questions or explain things people might not fully understand.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Pretty much same as everyone else here, had lasik done, prob 9-10 years ago. For a few days after had tro use the eye drops, after that no side effects whatsoever. Maybe slight sensitivity to sunlight, and some halo's at night (cant stand driving at night now) but other than that i would do it, and still call it some of the best money i ever spent