Side hill training

Anybody have any good workouts for training for hill climbs?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

weight carrying movements,calf raises on flat to near flat surface - when you purposely stress laterally IF you are not very careful you may come up with tendonitis or strain issues

I tore my achilles a couple years ago and had 6 weeks to get prepped for an elk hunt. The PT had me walking back and forth on a sheet of 3/4 plywood elevated to about 30 degrees. I ended up replicating this as home as I got pretty weak ankles. For regular climbs I'll do loaded pack or dumbell 16" box step ups for 30 minutes. Both pretty boring work outs but they work for me.

Brendan

WKR
Switch to zero drop, minimalist shoes for every day wear, going to work, walking the dog, gym workouts, etc. Work up if you're going to use them for any distance.

I won't use them for running or rucking, and have no intention to use them in the mountains, but do for pretty much everything else now.

It helps.

Only downside is some models are "vegan friendly" hippy shoes...

SD411

FNG
All great suggestions. If it’s ankle stability that might be an issue I’ve had good luck with the farmers walk carrying dumbbells and squats w heels on a slight incline. It can be as simple as putting your heels on a plate or a 3/4 inch piece of plywood on a plate to make a ramp to stand on. If you sit all day like I do it really helps stretch things out and get the stability built up. I started out very light to get the range of motion down before adding weight. You can google cyclist squats for an example.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
your title asks about side-hilling, your post seems to be asking about hill training in general?

if anyone has spent much time in the mountains, they soon realize there is nothing more punishing than side-hilling in steep terrain (especially w/ a pack on!)

you are using almost every muscle, small and large; almost every tendon and ligament; obviously your core as well- almost nothing spared :)

when I do hill repeats I'll often ascend straight up a set distance, sidehill a set distance, descend straight down, side hill in the other direction (it's important to go in both directions as you're using different muscles/tendons/ligament) until I hit the original line and then descend straight down to the start- repeat as necessary

be very careful with using weight sidehilling, very easy to injure one's self- start with no weight, very gradually build weight, but I never use a lot of weight- too risky

*zap*

WKR
I would think that suitcase carries and dumb bell farmers carries with one carried down and one overhead, heavy down and lighter up high. Obviously change the orientation and do both sides an even amount.

Block

WKR
Man all I know is I have yet to find a boot that my feet like side hilling in! My feet are always the first thing to go when sidehilling long distances on steep hikes.