Side Hilling = Knee Pain

pfraze

FNG
What's the best exercise to prepare for side hilling? The older I get the more it kills my knees. Any specific exercises to prepare for this? I like to hunt hard but this slows me down on occasion.

Block

WKR
Iv yet to find a boot that can help my feet keep up with my body on nasty sidehill desert terrain hikes...my feet are always first to fail...

*zap*

WKR
Full range of motion back squats, goblet squats, smith machine leg presses, leg curls and leg extensions one leg at a time have helped my old knees quite a bit. I also do standing and seated calf raises. I emphasize FULL range of motion.....butt to the floor squats with a pause at the bottom and laying on the floor for smith machine presses and pretty much bottom out the bar. I also think all the hip hinge exercises help the knee a lot, deadlift, good mornings and rdl's. Hip hinge has been something I had to work on with the help of a pt and I see many people not hip hinging when they do those exercises. Within a short time of doing them correctly I saw an increase in other posterior chain exercises as far as stability and strength. I believe that posterior chain weakness can help contribute to knee issues especially from rucking.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
Iv yet to find a boot that can help my feet keep up with my body on nasty sidehill desert terrain hikes...my feet are always first to fail...
Try Kennetrek Hardscrabbke or the Mountain Extremes. They have been a game changer for me hunting and hiking in the tough country in Idaho.