Side hustle

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
I know there was recent thread about what people do for work but does anyone have a side hustle? I'm still working on getting where I want to be with my career but I've been thinking about trying to pick a side job to fund my hunting. I'd like to be able to hunt more while I'm younger with no family and money seems to the the limiting factor. How do y'all fund your hunting?

Hunt more would be my advice. Don’t focus on more money, focus on some of the cheaper and less hunted tags/species such as bears(especially during the spring), upland game and archery deer. I’m assuming you’re hunting/living in a western state. That’s what I would have done more of if I could go back and do it over again.

OP
Virginian

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt more would be my advice. Don’t focus on more money, focus on some of the cheaper and less hunted tags/species such as bears(especially during the spring), upland game and archery deer. I’m assuming you’re hunting/living in a western state. That’s what I would have done more of if I could go back and do it over again.
Unfortunately I'm in Virginia. I'm somewhat tied to Va for now. The distance is what's costing more right now

ODB

WKR
Stock shelves overnight at a local store. Most people’s evening are spent wasting time watching TV or goofing on the internet. So, you can make $0 per hour reading Rockslide, or 10$ stocking shelves while listening to an audiobook or second language tape.

Zap also has a good idea. Think about something you’re good at and start small. I once offered to work for a guy for $0 so I could learn how to run a CNC. That turned into a paying job making custom bottom metal for rifles. Was a nice bridge until i got back to college.

Tod osier

WKR
I know there was recent thread about what people do for work but does anyone have a side hustle? I'm still working on getting where I want to be with my career but I've been thinking about trying to pick a side job to fund my hunting. I'd like to be able to hunt more while I'm younger with no family and money seems to the the limiting factor. How do y'all fund your hunting?

I look at my paying job as a side hustle to my real job which is living the life.

Fitzwho

WKR
I’m not exactly in the same boat. I’m 10 years out of college, 7 years at my current setup, 5 of those as the district manager. Working on commission, my wages are very dependent on the market and how well the sales force is selling (i.e. I made 50% more in 2015 than I did in any year since).

I wouldn’t mind a side hustle, maybe start making knives or something else that I could eventually make into more than a side hustle. But I have a wife, a 2 year old, a mortgage, 13 employees that at least a few of are working 24/7 and a Land Cruiser I’m restoring slowly but surely... Finding the time for a side hustle while not shirking any of those duties is borderline impossible.

I’d love to turn my side hustle into my career. Having just started marketing for local companies in my spare time, it’s something I could see myself doing. Just saw something I thought I would like and dove in

I pick up a few extra bucks or my fun money. Part time Bartender, and doing pulltabs, it adds up to around $500-$600 monthly. It help and hurt the family. summer and fall all I do is work. But this year we are going to Yellowstone and I get my yearly elk trip.

I just changed professions after 20 years of being a forester. Tomorrow, I will landscape all day. If it rains me out, I will do maintenance work for rental owners. Changing faucets, fixing water leaks, doors, etc..... In another couple of weeks, I'll be mowing. I'll then mow about 30 yards in a 14 day period. I'll build decks, remodel homes, roof, pour concrete, lay block, etc... for the remainder of the 5 working days. I work on Saturdays when the working weather is good. On Sundays to if need be. Come fall and winter, I will pick up the construction work full time. And, push snow around that.

I made this move to be able to hunt more. It has been slow getting started but, things are cooking now. This country is booming. So, pick a side job that requires labor. People don't like labor. I grew up driving nails. So the transition back was easy. However, I started in the lawn care and landscaping stuff by going to work for a buddy that does maintenance, landscaping, and mowing. I started advertising and picking up work for the evenings and weekends. I'm now getting pretty busy on the side. Praise the Lord.

So, pick a field, start you a business with the state, advertise, and get to it. Depending on your hours, if you landscaped and mowed alone, you could easily make $1000 a week extra if you are willing to work till dark and on weekends. Its competitive and will take some time. But, you will have the opportunity to grow it as needed. This applies to whatever that field is you chose. As long as its labor based. And, start a licensed business. Insurance is cheap too. You'll be AMAZED at how much more work being a licensed business and having insurance will get you.

Good luck brother. The last piece of advice I will give you is to give the Lord his share first. Before you take a dime, give him his due. He'll give you the resources, the strength, and the leads to develop this to whatever degree you want it to be. Go get it man. It is wide open. God Bless

*zap*

WKR
I just changed professions after 20 years of being a forester. Tomorrow, I will landscape all day. If it rains me out, I will do maintenance work for rental owners. Changing faucets, fixing water leaks, doors, etc..... In another couple of weeks, I'll be mowing. I'll then mow about 30 yards in a 14 day period. I'll build decks, remodel homes, roof, pour concrete, lay block, etc... for the remainder of the 5 working days. I work on Saturdays when the working weather is good. On Sundays to if need be. Come fall and winter, I will pick up the construction work full time. And, push snow around that.

I made this move to be able to hunt more. It has been slow getting started but, things are cooking now. This country is booming. So, pick a side job that requires labor. People don't like labor. I grew up driving nails. So the transition back was easy. However, I started in the lawn care and landscaping stuff by going to work for a buddy that does maintenance, landscaping, and mowing. I started advertising and picking up work for the evenings and weekends. I'm now getting pretty busy on the side. Praise the Lord.

So, pick a field, start you a business with the state, advertise, and get to it. Depending on your hours, if you landscaped and mowed alone, you could easily make $1000 a week extra if you are willing to work till dark and on weekends. Its competitive and will take some time. But, you will have the opportunity to grow it as needed. This applies to whatever that field is you chose. As long as its labor based. And, start a licensed business. Insurance is cheap too. You'll be AMAZED at how much more work being a licensed business and having insurance will get you.

Good luck brother. The last piece of advice I will give you is to give the Lord his share first. Before you take a dime, give him his due. He'll give you the resources, the strength, and the leads to develop this to whatever degree you want it to be. Go get it man. It is wide open. God Bless

(y)

I do Home and Garden.....booked till sometime in June right now, work solo. Have a meeting Tuesday and the result of that will probably book me till July 1. If you provide the Result that people want things go great.

Farmers in the area? You can always go sit in a tractor for a couple hours after work in the spring and fall.

Shraggs

WKR
I sell holsters and offer consultation at gun shows in the winter months. Definitely pays for hunting, but it’s every weekend away and a lot of travel. On a per hour basis it pays low... but it pays.

If a side business won’t hurt your main career, and it’s low or agreed impact on family then do it. If it’s a burden on family wife, etc then to me it’s not worth it. Cut elsewhere to spend less.

I flip houses with my wife and my folks, everyone has full time jobs, but we buy a house or two a year and flip them doing the work on weekends and evenings. Not your flip or flop profits by any means but a few upgrades here and there and you make decent money for your time.

Only issue is having capital to purchase said homes. But can be found through partners and HELOC loans if you or any potential partner owns their home.

Rob5589

WKR
Talked to a girl last week that drives for Door Dash and makes 700-1000 a week. I was floored, to say the least.

When I was a school teacher, my side hustle was working every Sunday at a local sporting goods store. I worked on a "credit system." Basically, the owner kept track of my hours and I just took home stuff instead of money!! I gathered up a lot of crap that I didn't need, but since I wasn't really "paying" for it, it was all good!!

Currently, I have no side hustle. I work as a nurse. At my hospital, any time I pick up an extra shift, I get an extra $10/hr, plus over time pay. My wife and I have an agreement with that money earned from extra shifts, half goes straight to our joint savings account and half goes into my "hunt fund." When it's not hunting season, I average 4-5 extra shifts per month. I am putting $500+ in my hunt fund every month. Every thing that I spend on hunting comes out of that fund, the wife never asks any questions.

My BIL owns a small lawn care business. He has asked me to help him out. There are 5-6 yards very close to my house that he mows. I may help him with those throughout this spring and summer just to add a little extra cash in my pocket. I just don't want to get roped into working 4-5 days a week at the hospital and then mowing yards another 2 days a week. I'd rather spend my days off fishing, scouting, camping and hiking rather than working. Money is great, but when you work all the time, you can't utilize that money you make.