Side hustle

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I spent about 2-3 years buying and selling Hunting equipment online to fund about 80% of all my gear and even did a few hunts with the money I made from it. This worked out well for me. Got to play with and evaluate, test and try out gear that I bought, then reselling it for a profit to buy more gear to sell. I was lucky to work out some great deals and even hooked up with some folks in the industry which helped me as well. i haven't done much selling the last few years as I have my gear dialed in where I want it now.

I flip houses with my wife and my folks, everyone has full time jobs, but we buy a house or two a year and flip them doing the work on weekends and evenings. Not your flip or flop profits by any means but a few upgrades here and there and you make decent money for your time.

Only issue is having capital to purchase said homes. But can be found through partners and HELOC loans if you or any potential partner owns their home.

I think this is probably the best way to make any decent money without having any specialized skills. We're under contract right now to sell a home that we've been renting the last 5 years. It's going to fund a sheep hunt for me with lots left over.

If you have a good job and good credit you should look at those as assets and if you're not leveraging your assets you're leaving money on the table.

Wish I would have started flipping houses. I averaged 500 hours a year overtime. That equals about five years extra earnings for every 20. I would bank 120 hours of comp time the rest as cash.
Labor law, they can’t deny the use of comp time with due notice. If I had a conflict getting time off to hunt, put in for comp. when I started guiding in Alaska, blend the comp with vacation take a month off and go guide. Usually had it built back up in a month or two. I retired at 55. Now I have side jobs guiding fishing and bird hunting. Should have stayed on the job😏

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know that it counts as a side hustle, but I can fund pretty much everything from donating plasma. Depending on the specials I make between $350-$500/month. Its twice a week, for about an hour, and I enjoy having time to read, or listen to podcasts anyway.

KJH

WKR
I don't necessarily have a side hustle, but I keep a lot of irons in the fire... not for extra hunting money but its because of how I'm wired. I have a more than full time job that I like but I also own and manage my rental properties, occasionally flip houses, sell and service firearms, have livestock, am a auctioneer, and a do a few other interesting things as they present themselves. All of these things have an irregular schedule and generate additional money... sometimes its significant. I can't imagine just having one job. I just won't consider something that demands my time on weekends or during hunting season.

If you can find something extra you like doing, that works with your schedule- do it.

I’ve owned several small businesses that started out on the side, I currently have a finish carpentry company as my main income that started that way.

IMO, it’s a great way to get things going if your desire is to work for yourself and you aren’t able to “make the jump” due to needing an immediate paycheck. Get it going on the side, when it starts taking off switch over.

As my son is now a year and a half, I am more and more hating the concept of trading my time for money, and working to get away from that. I’d much rather own a business that sells a product online and have a company fulfill the orders, write an e-book, buy another rental property, etc.

After all, the goal is to have enough money to be able to use your time off more effectively, not just to fill every moment of your day working.

There are 2 ways I would go if I were looking for a more traditional “side hustle.” If you have limited funds to invest, go buy a commercial grade pressure washer for $1,000 and get some business cards made up. You should be able to make $100-$300 pretty easily on a Saturday morning and be back home before lunch. Any days you don’t want to work you don’t have to. If it goes well you can get a college kid or 2 working for you and just have to deal with the customers.

If you’ve got a decent bit of money to invest or assets to leverage, I’d buy a lot or land in a somewhat affordable but accessible location, put a fence and some cameras up, and charge people to park boats, RV’s and trailers there. Again, if it goes well you can hire a college kid to wash vehicles, keep batteries charged and tires aired up.

Be careful with side hustles...they can turn into second jobs quick. That's how I ended up with my second and third. The key is turning that job into a business...hire the right people and you can move onto the next one. I would concentrate on "side hustles" that are scalable. The best part of starting a business "afterhours" (when everyone else is wasting their time) is that you get to test the water without taking a ton of risk.

Try doing things that you are good at naturally but not necessarily in love with...nothing ruins a passion faster than being required to do it every day.

Eventually you will have enough work and stress built up that you have to leave for weeks on end for hunting trips just to reset your brain every few months. Its great and I personally enjoy it.

Census 2020 is coming up, they will be hiring lots of people, flexible hours and easy money is what I've heard...they're paying something like $28/hr. in my area....

Try doing things that you are good at naturally but not necessarily in love with...nothing ruins a passion faster than being required to do it every day.

^^^^
This is great advice that most don't want to hear. Do anything enough and you will get burned out from it. Keep that in mind.

That was an edited quote from Molon Labe

Greg Beck

WKR
Construction odds and ends mostly. Lots of small projects in our farming community. Or spend some time operating equipment for farmers in the summer. This last January our local fire department, which I've been a member of for 11 years, needed a new fire chief and they were offering some $$. I was the Asssistant Chief so I took the Chief's position. It's around $700-$800 a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
My primary job is managing the funds for Federal Grant but I work part time at a sporting goods store. A little extra money and some cheap gear so its a win win for me.

CJohnson

WKR
I do some bush hogging and light tractor work locally. Mostly for neighbors in my immediate area. Don't make much money but I do get to take my little boy with me.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
My side hustle is building custom furniture. Don't have a lot of spare time lately, so I am not making many pieces at the moment. This side hustle is mainly to fund upgrades for my woodworking shop. When I retire from my current job, I will supplement retirement with woodworking.

I do handyman work on the side and charge $50 per hour minimum. When the urge hits, I can line up as much work as I desire in less than an hour. Gotta be creative, respectful and on time, folks pay happily for that. My new spotting scope is compliments of a few hours on the weekends.

I do handyman work on the side and charge $50 per hour minimum. When the urge hits, I can line up as much work as I desire in less than an hour. Gotta be creative, respectful and on time, folks pay happily for that. My new spotting scope is compliments of a few hours on the weekends.

One of my best paying gigs was taping drywall. Learned how to do my own house, ended up doing about a half dozen of my in-laws basements and remodels before I figured out i should charge some dough.

seems like there's a plethora of small jobs that the "professionals" don't want to spend their time on. People like to hang their own, but hate to do the taping. Tools and materials are cheap. It also seemed like for small jobs, my bill was always a lot less than what the homeowner was expecting, and I was making real good money for my limited time investment.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
My main job(web design/dev) has now become my side hustle in the last few months. I bugged Ryan for so long he finally let be rebuild the front end of Rokslide.

When web design was my main source of income I painted occasionally(I worked for a painting company for a while)

cnelk

WKR
I don't know that it counts as a side hustle, but I can fund pretty much everything from donating plasma. Depending on the specials I make between $350-$500/month. Its twice a week, for about an hour, and I enjoy having time to read, or listen to podcasts anyway.

Ive done this in the past.