Side hustle

My old man is a paint contractor he taught me how to paint houses, did that job for most of my early teens into my mid twenties until I got married and needed something more stable. Job I currently work now is 4 ten hour shifts Monday to Thursday. I try to do small painting side jobs or work for my dad on the day's I don't work if I'm not scouting or hunting, learning a trade is always good to know whatever I make painting I put it into separate account for hunts and gear.

Shingling. It’s labor intensive but pays well if you are fast and do quality work. Do that throughout the summer and snow removal in the winter.

I spend as many saturdays as possible setting up/tuning/selling archery equipment at a local outdoors store. If I’m not doing that I work with a buddy building fence. If I’m not doing that I will go help skin/quarter deer for my FT job boss.

Basically I ain’t too proud to go do stuff to make money, just so long as I feel like it isn’t hindering my time with my wife and baby. It ain’t easy working 6-7 days a week sometimes, but I usually don’t have to worry about a hunting budget, so that’s a nice perk.

ghostmoney

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest thing me and my wife do is we have a strict budget and hardly ever eat out and coffee is made at home or at work. By budgeting it has allowed my bonuses to be used for home improvements or luxury items like hunting gear.

I do a lot of random side work for extra money also. I clean the offices at my work every weekend for about 8 years now and that puts $350/month into my savings, installed sprinkler systems, tractor work, work on vehicles, work 4 hours OT every week, and going to start donating plasma to put into my fuel budget so I can do more scouting and start hunting out of state.

Try writing
If you have an adventure, write about
Initially scope out some of the lesser known magazines, maybe something that is specific, like traditional archery. Hinting, fishing, camping, hiking...write a review of some piece of gear, etc.

16Bore

WKR
My 14 year old was talking about how people start businesses and I said “find a need, then figure out how to fill it”

At the time, I was standing in a doorway and said “heck, you could make a job out of just cleaning the trim in peoples houses”

Boom....

She’s still hesitant to start...but I’ve floated it by several folks and they all said “heck yeah I’d pay for that!!”

Another idea is weadeating. And I mean JUST weadeating. People hate it. Just get a small fleet of weadeaters and throw them in your truck. Easy to recruit a few other fellas that wanna make easy quick money. Landscaping crews have way too much overhead and you’d easily out price them and get a solid margin.

Ok, no more freebies....

Biggest thing me and my wife do is we have a strict budget and hardly ever eat out and coffee is made at home or at work. By budgeting it has allowed my bonuses to be used for home improvements or luxury items like hunting gear.

Amen brother! It's amazing how much is spent on coffee, energy drinks, running into the gas station for snacks after filling, going out for lunch, oil changes, garbage services, buying baby food instead of making it, etc. When we started budgeting we also calculated how much interest we were paying to the bank annually. That is an eye opener and will piss ya off.

I thought budgeting would bring an end to my trips and once we finally sat down and did it we were able to re-calibrated what's really important to us. We now go on several trips a year. Turns out I didn't need more hours; I needed discipline.

BG775

FNG
I do a little remodel, concrete, and carpentry on the side. It pays for a few of my unnecessary (according to my wife) hunting items and keeps the peace at home.

TomM

FNG
I find that if I stay busy doing firewood, taking college classes, working OT, etc. then I have less time to spend money on junk I think I need. I believe the saying is idle hands are the work of the devil.

However come Sept, the hell with all that other stuff, I want to be in the woods until January, then back to the grind.