Sidearm black bear hunting

Kshusker

FNG
Going on my first spot and stalk archery bear hunt. We are not going in grizzly country do I need to carry a side arm? Yes I am new to this so I don't know if I need one or not? Hand guns I have access and ammo for would be .357, .40, 9mm. I just don't know if I need one or not, again never done this before so any help will be considered and not used as a hardened rule. Thank you in advance.

OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
You feel comfortable with a .357? Everything I have read is about grizzly country and needing a large bore hand gun. Is there a certain bullet to look for in .357? Not questioning your logic, thank you for your reply.

JackSauer

FNG
I carry a Glock 40 10mm. I have it in a Dara OWB paddle holster so I can snap it over my hip belt or transfer it to my pants belt quickly and easily.

FHF makes a bino harness that allows you to attach a holster to the bottom. Definitely my favorite way to carry in bear country. No need to move your holster. Just keep it on your chest the whole time.

Whichever gun you comfortable with and holsters well
I agree with a chest rig but it may be too bulky. When I carry it's and it's not griz county I like my 357 best . 158swc are my fav.

Lowg08

WKR
I would carry. Not really worried about bears charging for no reason but a wounded bear is a whole different game. I myself carry a sub compact 9. Just like it and feel good with it. Also. There is really no telling what could happen. Shoot some person methed out could be hunting leprechauns and you could look like a leprechaun

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
One of the hunting podcasts (Hunt Backcountry I think?) had an episode where they brought on a guy who said that 9mm outperformed 40SW as far as penetration with bear loads goes. Since 357 is a similar diameter with more powder behind the bullet, I'd be fine with that. A few guys I know have used 357 revolvers during spring bear season here, so it's certainly bear-capable. The only exception would be if you're considerably more proficient with your 9mm.

stevevan

WKR
Yes, I would carry. My choice a 10mm in Black Bear only country. When in Alaska in Grizzly country I kept a 454 Casull within reach all the time even though it was a rifle hunt. I tend to follow Robert Ruarks advice "use enough gun".

Spoonman

WKR
Odds are you don’t need one but I carry pretty regularly. Any of the firearms you mentioned would be fine just use a hard cast bullet or something that’ll penetrate and not a self defense round.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Likelihood that you’ll need it is….low. Now, will it help you sleep at night? Does me.

carry whatever you have the most time with.

That’s what it is. In 20 years of hunting the southwest, I saw lots of black bears, never once had to draw down on one. There were times when attacks were on the rise so I was glad to have it on me and next to me while I slept but that’s it. Here in AK, I usually use a Glock 20.

bbell

WKR
I’ve only had one bear encounter where I really wish I had a sidearm. I called in a black bear when archery elk hunting. Didn’t buy a bear tag cause I never saw them🤦‍♂️ Pretty cool at 30yds but then I hollered at him and he just kept walking to me. Got to about 15yds. I had to yell, throw sticks, stomp my feet, dang near bluff charged him and he finally walked off.
I now carry almost every time because it only takes once. Also I’ve had more run ins with people than animals.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
Glock 20 10mm in a Kenai Chest Holster. Buffalo Bore had ammo for it last week. (Or the .357 with same chest holster setup if that is what is available to you. MTC.)

Works well for me in Alaska and at home. We have a bear and cougar problem on our hunting land at home. I carry it every time I am there even if I am just cutting wood.

Might be wise to carry one of the three you mentioned with some hard cast bullets from buffalo bore or underwood. I would opt for the 357, but even the 9 is better than nothing. You probably wont need it, but if you do need it, it could be the last time you ever need it