Sidearm caliber

blasterak

FNG
My go to is a Glock 20. It's light and easy to carry, in a chest rig it's almost non existent so I know I'll carry it all the time unlike I would with larger handguns/cannons. 150% reliable every time and I can drop my 22lr slide on it for grouse/ptarmigan at camp. I recently converted a 1911 to 460 Rowland and have been carrying that occasionally.

joshh

FNG
Personally I think 10mm is going to be a lot more controllable than 44mag, and you can easily mount a light on a Glock 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67bronco

FNG
never bear hunted but hunted a few places with bears. I always have some form of handgun on me. Mostly for two legged problems. I think it would be hard to beat a 10mm for all around but there is a big big difference in a 10mm and a hot 44 mag. That can be said for both power and carryability. Id consider it like everyday carry, pick the one you will carry and not one that you leave in truck or camp. A 9mm on your hip is better than a 454 in the glove box

although still "a bear" blacks are not normally the same as a brown/grizzly, they aren't that courageous (probably different in a mother/cub situation), they seem to be skulkers and ambush artists from what I've been told by lifelong coast range hunters simply meaning I'd choose NO LESS than a .357 in a gun I could handle close up or in a grapple (actually I do) Also, I think it's been well documented that usually a black has decided to eat you if it attacks

Krell

FNG
Never had to use one but when I carry I carry a .40 S&W M&P model. Dang heavy tho, sometimes better just carry bear spray. More times than not I don't carry anything at all just try to be careful.

S&W 629PD 44mag w/ 255gr solid core/hard cast (made by Buffalo Bore) and love it. People talk crap on this gun it seems for the kick but I changed out the wood grips for a Hogue and its awesome. I feel extremely confident with my shot and the punch that the gun packs.

Ultimately, while their have been lots of threads on this topic, the best protection is the one you have practiced with the most (bear spray, gun etc) and are comfortable with.

Teaman1

WKR
If a sidearm, I vote a 45 colt or 44 mag in a ruger redhawk.
Not a sidearm, but I’ve been thinking about a pump (if it cycles well) .35 whelen for a brush gun and to carry if my wife gets a tag in grizzly country in the next couple years

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I carried my Glock 20 10mm two weeks ago in Alaska while caribou hunting. Used a Gunfighters Inc. Kenai holster. Worked great with my pack system. I practiced with Buffalo Bore hard cast 230 gr ammo during the summer. My only observation is that my gun and magazines fed best when I only loaded the mags with 10 rounds. I plan on using the rig for all of my future hunts in grizzly and black bear country.