Sidearm carry

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
For backcountry hunting, where do you feel is the best place to carry on the body and what is your thought behind your reasoning? I'm currently considering the Razko Kydex on the chest, but the downfall I see is needing to go prone for a shot. My second and most comfortable thought, in the military I always carried a SA on my thigh. at the ready. Cant find a real bad con with this but looking for outside thoughts.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I carry on my pack belt hiking in then transfer to hip belt when hunting, a thigh rig seems like it would catch a lot of brush depending on where you hunt

Slugz

WKR
My 2 sense.
If your gonna carry for safety then carry it, all the time every time. I never liked having multiple places depending on my activity and or what I was packing or wearing. A member recommend Gunfighter INC to me and I love it. Its on all the time, hangs just below my binos/harness, not in the way of my pack etc etc I could go on and on. Easy peazy

CoHiCntry

WKR
On my chest in the gunfighter kenai when I’m backpacking. On my pack waist belt in a kydex holster when hunting since binos are on my chest.

privateer

FNG
Chest holster if possible, otherwise I carry on my pack belt and my pant belt when my pack is off and when i'm wearing a bino chest holder....I use molle straps so I can move my holster from my pack to my pant belt easily.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Another Kenai holster guy here...it's a comfortable wear for me, even under my PFD on pack-raft floats. I am always carrying when in the field up here.

However, when I'm out hunting with rifle in hand, my pistol is typically back in the tent...I'm ALWAYS wearing it around camp from the minute I get out of my tent until I get into my sleeping bag at night, when it's put within an easy reach (still in the holster!).

BTW...I typically remote drop-hunt in the middle of nowhere...not another person within many, many miles...so leaving it in the tent is a safe and secure option for me.

Beendare

WKR
This has been talked about a lot if you want more opinions you can search

I draw from the hip in practice so it’s intuitive for me to carry on my hip in the field. I use a Kydex holster tightly mounted that doesn’t move when I draw.

i’ve tried chest rigs and Bino no rigs in the past and it wasn’t a clean draw.

Antares

WKR
I have the Marsupial holster attached to the bottom of my bino harness. Works great.

I don't love lying on top of my binos and pistol while shooting prone. I take the harness off if I have time and just deal with it if I don't.

CO-AJ

WKR
I, like some, carry on my pack belt. When I drop the pack I move it to belt. No big deal. I would never use a drop holster on the leg. Had one in Iraq for 2 days then got rid of it. All it did was catch on stuff and rub back and forth no matter how tight I cinched it. Can't imagine walking through scrub with a gun in a drop holster.

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
That begs the question, why carry the extra weight if you are already carrying a rifle? If Colorado were grizzly country I could understand.
My rifle will spend a large part of its time strapped to my pack, with an empty chamber. That does not make it conducive for rapid access in an emergency situation.

Voyageur

WKR
HPG kit bag. It's always on me. I can put my pack on over it. If on water my life vest can go over it. I can shoot a rifle or bow with it on. A very handy piece of gear in my opinion.