Sidearm Holsters Help!!

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Hey fellow Roksliders,

I am in need of some suggestions for a good holster system for my Springfield XD 4" 45 ACP. I have used a UTG drop leg holster for a few years, and it worked good, but it has seen its last year in the field (buckle failure). I am looking for something similar, but that is a little more durable. I like the drop leg holsters, because they are out of the way of my backpack, hip straps, and bins harness (main reason I have never looked into hip or chest holsters). I have never experienced any chaffing with a thigh holster, and just seems to work best for me. With that being said, let me know if you have any suggestions for me!

Thanks, and happy hunting this fall!

Netherman

WKR
If you're happy with the holster you have I'd look into a replacement buckle(s). Cheaper since you already have the rest of the holster and could add bombproof buckle(s).

If you want to buy something new I have the Gunfighters ronin with micro aggression panel and am really happy with it, but it's about 6x as expensive as the UTG. I like the fact that the GFI holster is kydex which allows for quicker access (don't have to unbuckle) and that it can't retain moisture.

Edit: Forgot to add that if you get on their mailing list they tend to do 15-20% discounts occasionally.

I am a fan of Kydex holsters and this little gadget can drop them below your pack belt.

OP
Fozzy26

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
I am a fan of Kydex holsters and this little gadget can drop them below your pack belt.

Does it drop it enough to clear the pack belts of the kifaru packs? I just know the kifaru belts are pretty wide

worx53

WKR
My buddy and I run the xds 45's and we use the small paddle holster that comes with the xds and put it on the kifaru waistbelt and the main holstersection runs between the belt and the kifaru belt pouch. it's never in the way and no chafing or rubbing of any kind. I run a kydex chest rig (lightfield from 2A holsters) that sits really flat when I don't run a bino harness. I have seen guys run it under a bino harness. FHF has a holster done that attaches to their bino harness and rides under it-never tried it.

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Check out GS Holsters. They're in Alaska and they have a chest rig that stays out of the way of your pack, belt and straps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Check out Mangear Alaska for chest holster. Love mine, super comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Check out Mangear Alaska for chest holster. Love mine, super comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've found that chest holsters are the most comfortable when wearing a pack

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gcode RTI system. Get one holster with RTI hanger and can use with different attachment points. Can get a optimal drop that drops just enough to clear your pack belt (what I run). They also have a full drop leg holster, and belt/mole/paddle holsters for when not running a pack. You can also take the gun with holster off without taking the attachment point off your belt. It’s a sweet set up, don’t think there is a better option out there.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I'm also looking into a leg holster. With backpack, bow sling, and binocular harness I have enough going on around by waist and chest.

Beendare

WKR
No fan of the thigh holsters...you must not be doing a lot of hiking.

I adapt one of the cheap Amazon Kydex to my pack belt retaining the belt loops if I want to use it on my pants belt. This is a more natural position for me to draw from too....no reaching.

OP
Fozzy26

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Gcode RTI system. Get one holster with RTI hanger and can use with different attachment points. Can get a optimal drop that drops just enough to clear your pack belt (what I run). They also have a full drop leg holster, and belt/mole/paddle holsters for when not running a pack. You can also take the gun with holster off without taking the attachment point off your belt. It’s a sweet set up, don’t think there is a better option out there.

I saw this and it looked pretty sweet! Was just seeing if there was anything that wasn’t going to be 2-3 weeks before it shipped. But may just have to bite the bullet and wait for the good stuff. Did you find it to be overly loud or anything?

I just recently got a molle holster from alien gear. It attaches to my belt with the molle webbing and really like the setup, they offer a drop leg holster as well you may want to check out. Their system is universal in the way you can disconnect the holster and transfer it to another place as long as the connection piece was available. Transfer from you truck to you leg, from your leg to your house, from your house to you backpack, etc.

I saw this and it looked pretty sweet! Was just seeing if there was anything that wasn’t going to be 2-3 weeks before it shipped. But may just have to bite the bullet and wait for the good stuff. Did you find it to be overly loud or anything?

There is no associated noise at all! Only when drawing the weapon since it essentially uses friction to hold it in place, but nothing loud about it. As for the wait, it is unfortunate, but typically with good custom gear there is an associated wait, it is worth it.

MHWASH

WKR
Personally I’m not a fan of a holster that isn’t closed on the bottom. Between sitting and setting the pack down, it seems my holster is always in the dirt.

If you're happy with the holster you have I'd look into a replacement buckle(s). Cheaper since you already have the rest of the holster and could add bombproof buckle(s).

If you want to buy something new I have the Gunfighters ronin with micro aggression panel and am really happy with it, but it's about 6x as expensive as the UTG. I like the fact that the GFI holster is kydex which allows for quicker access (don't have to unbuckle) and that it can't retain moisture.

Edit: Forgot to add that if you get on their mailing list they tend to do 15-20% discounts occasionally.

Another positive experience with the Gunfighter's micro aggression panel with Ronin kydex holster.