Sidearm or Not?

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I carry whenever I'm in the backcountry, even when I'm not hunting. I've run into some real weirdos a few times out there. Once I was visiting a friend, and we decided to go on a hike/photo trip. Ran into a couple that at first seemed nice, but then started asking us about the cost of our equipment and what it was worth, things started to go south from there, when they realized we were armed they ended the conversation and took off.

Btaylor

WKR
Have pulled once in CO. Sub 5 yard encounter with a small cub in really heavy cover. Cub moved off on it's own and I never saw the sow but didnt want to chance things in such tight quarters visibility wise.

How many of you carry a sidearm when archery elk hunting in wilderness areas but not grizzly territory? And of those who do carry, have you ever actually needed it?
I do, I have fired my sidearm once in the woods… I wouldn’t say I needed it, but it was the best option at the time

Personal preference. I don’t carry in Black Bear country. I hunt with guys who did their first few hunts but they have since abandoned it for weight reasons. But I know guys who carry during rifle seasons which seems odd to me.

I’ve skinned a few elk that had already had bears on the carcass when we returned, was a little nerve racking. One particular instance was in the dark with the bear popping his jaws and woofing at us from 40-50 yards. But other than that no issues. I definitely wouldn’t carry it everyday, maybe just for pack out or returning to carcass situations.
If something were to go down (real example that I have experienced like walking up on a lion on a kill) and said critter does come at you, close quarters, what good is a rifle? If you see the situation before it happens, yes, but if not, a long gun is pretty much worthless to protect yourself.

An experience like that is what got me always packing a pistol in the woods regardless of what I’m doing… it turned into a “why not?” Rather than “why?”

I walked up on a lion on a kill with a tiny cub laying on the neck of the deer that the lion killed, it was probably 4yds before the lion and I knew each other existed… had it just made the decision to protect her kill and cub, I would have never seen it coming until it was on me, and the rifle would have been worthless in that situation.

Carried a G20 for a few years, now a Springfield hellcat, and in the ivory holster on my pack belt, it doesn’t exist unless I need it

ya I carry a Taurus Judge 44 long colt/410 shotgun shells.
I think it takes a lot of bravery to carry a Taurus for self defense 😉

In all seriousness, have you shot much in the way of 410’s in your judge? I bought one when they first came out, and was very disappointed with how close you have to be for the 410 to be effective… first clue was shooting at a grouse about 10yds away, brush moved around the whole bird, bird flew off unharmed… decided to shoot some at a Gatorade bottle, and shot it a few times at 12 steps, and only a couple pellets made it into the bottle… the specific ammo for those guns is better, but still very close range to have much umph… then started having issues with the pistol, sent it back, got it fixed, got rid of it and got a raging bull in 454, and after sending it in 3 times I ditched it and got a s&w 500 that was flawless for a lot of rounds…

I wanted to get one of their 17hmr revolvers for plinking and squeaks, but those 2 guns got rid of any desire to buy more Taurus firearms.

Roc8man

FNG
I always have something strapped to my leg while hunting. As a few have mentioned, it is primarily there to dissuade the 2 legged creatures more so than the 4 legged except while hunting in MT. Then my 2.5" Alaskan in 454 Casull gets strapped in it's leg holster...

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
Carry my Glock 20 10MM most of the time in the woods......particularly when I am solo. Plus bear spray. Rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

xziang

WKR
I yave always carried in CO just a 9mm but this year thinking of buckmark 22 for those pesky ptarmigan. :) Would actually probably shoot it vs the other.

Gerbdog

WKR
I dont carry anymore when im out hunting. Parking areas are the worst part of it all but i dont spend any time there anyway, and i dont see many other hunters after that. For me its not worth the weight, i keep a knife on my belt within easy access. I dont have any illusions if a 400 lb black bear boar decides im lunch that im gonna stand much of a chance... but i dont think the chances of said bear wanting me for lunch is high enough to warrant the extra weight.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I always have my Glock 20 on me back country. Keep it in a razco Bino harness holster. Although I have not needed it for bears, I killed 7 I’ll tempered rattlesnakes with it on my antelope hunt a few weeks ago…

Have you ever had to draw some sort of protection (gun, spray, other) while out hunting? If so, have you ever used it?
Drew my 454 Casuell this year. We were headed back to the truck in Idaho after dark and the moon was full so no headlamps on. Heard a grunt less than 20 yards from my left and my brother and I froze. He turned his headlamp on and we were face to face with a small bull moose. We hollered at it and it turned slowly and walked off.

Photo was taken at about 10pm so it's the best I could get without the flash. So cool to see that close and walk away unscathed.

Attachments

• 1000020675.jpg
    1000020675.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 95
I always have something strapped to my leg while hunting. As a few have mentioned, it is primarily there to dissuade the 2 legged creatures more so than the 4 legged except while hunting in MT. Then my 2.5" Alaskan in 454 Casull gets strapped in it's leg holster...
What leg holster do you use? Thinking about switching to leg from my chest rig.

Maverick1

WKR
Big tough hero and keyboard warrior unites into one ubiquitous macho man all transformer like. Keep your strap on or get the clap on, something like that….

The most knowledgable backcountry hunters I know keep themselves out of conflicts with either man or animal requiring a firearm. So they dont feel the need to carry.

Practically speaking, you can accomplish the same thing with bear spray weighing substantially less and assure you'll not spend six months in court defending/explaining yourself.

Benetel

FNG
I carry my G20 when hunting solo, mostly for peace of mind. I always carry bear spray, solo or hunting in a group. Don't have to be very accurate with bear spray in the heat of the moment!

Only time I’ve carried is in grizz country and that was a small 9mm with hardcast plus bear spray

Sometimes I'll leave mine in a bolted vehicle safe for the hike back for the game bags. More concerned about running into something at night