Sidearm or Not?

hobbes

WKR
That'd be some scary stuff. I suppose I'm fortunate to not hunt an area where I'm concerned about it. We did have a job site near a Montana town once where tweakers kept stealing things from the job site at night.

The solution was fake cameras with little blinking lights on. :)

Last edited:
Bear spray is cheaper, lighter and more effective against bears than a sidearm (go look at the data). As for people problems, if you haven't got enough sense to get out of the way of a crazy man and prefer to shoot your way to safety, well, I wish you luck.
🤔

Definitely not more effective than a handgun.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
I carry my 10mm Glock...until I get tired of it. And bear spray.

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
🤔

Definitely not more effective than a handgun.
Regardless of where you land on spray v. gun, if you are backpack hunting, that should seal the decision.....you cannot reload a spray can after deployment on day 1 of a multi-day hunt. Therefore, after day 1 you have nothing if not carrying a firearm. I'm not opposed to spray, but when more than day-hunting it will always be a sidearm for me.

Regardless of where you land on spray v. gun, if you are backpack hunting, that should seal the decision.....you cannot reload a spray can after deployment on day 1 of a multi-day hunt. Therefore, after day 1 you have nothing if not carrying a firearm. I'm not opposed to spray, but when more than day-hunting it will always be a sidearm for me.
If I have to reload my gun or spray, odds are I've already $hit my pants so I'm coming back out anyway

Bighorner

WKR
I love guns as much as the next american, but after working with the inherit canisters I would choose spay if I had to pick one. There is a way bigger margin of error, you can use it blindly if you had to, and it's not going to poke holes in your buddy if you have to break up a mauling. With that said in griz country I always carry both. With spray being the preference.

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I slept at least 15 nights in the Idaho backcountry just out under the stars no tent or pistola and didn't have any issues at all.
I think its all about what makes you feel comfortable and is going to help you enjoy your time more. My wife feels more comfortable out there with a pistola. I want her to go with me and feel comfortable so she has a pistola she'll carry.

I've been on and off the Alaska peninsula every year but this since 1958/59. I've been involved in 4 DLP SHOOTINGS, only one in the last 20. I'm also a 20 year veteran of Swat, kinda proficient with hand guns and O/C. During my 20 year guiding career I sprayed several bears a year, most of those in the last 15. Worked every time including bears that were coming in. Turned every one. I also carried a 454, or a variety of long guns. While I have moved to take advantage of the wind, I've also just sprayed and moved. Idea being don't be where the bear last saw you. We taught that in police work as well.
I don't care if you carry or not, what ever makes you happy. I've read most of the studies so I could better train my new guides, fact of the matter is all our guides have sprayed bears successfully. 90% of the people I've talked to who think bear spray is ineffective, if they have seen a grizz, weren't close enough to spray anyway. That other 5% are guys I know who are skookum and it didn't work for them.
Stay alert consider your options and have fun.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
During archery season I don't carry spray or a sidearm unless in grizz country, in that case I may bring a can of bear spray. Mostly I just try to think of where bears are likely to be at certain times of the day and use caution in those areas. During rifle season I hunt with a Marlin 30-30 so I don't carry a sidearm or spray either. Had a close encounter last October with a grizz, dumped a few rounds into the dirt in front of him and backed out of the area.

Whisky

WKR
I only carry while hunting, when in Grizz country. Which is not very often.

Deadfall

WKR
I've always been a spray fan grizzly ppaces. It has worked 100 percent of the time for me. However, after last year I now own a 10mm. Will not be carrying spray any longer.

Had several bears under 20 yards/5 steps. Problem being we are seeing more and more old bears that are getting skinny. During archery it's not so bad as food is plentiful. Soon as weather turns and food gets touplaces find. Well them old bears are becoming more aggressive.

I'm just not interested in lugging around 3 or 4 cans of bear spray for 4 months. Odds are good won't use one. What if I needed 5? Anyway it's firearm time near as I'm concerned.

Honestly I'm getting tired of all predators. Sooi....yeah...

AbSandy

FNG
How many of you carry a sidearm when archery elk hunting in wilderness areas but not grizzly territory? And of those who do carry, have you ever actually needed it?
ya I carry a Taurus Judge 44 long colt/410 shotgun shells.

Bighorner

WKR
ya I carry a Taurus Judge 44 long colt/410 shotgun shells.
If you plan on shooting hot loads out of that judge you may want to take a good luck at the cylinder walls. You might be getting more than you bargained for.