Sidearm

JasonM

FNG
Do any of you carry a sidearm while hunting sheep in Alaska? If so how, as in what type of holster considering wearing pack? This is assuming you carry your rifle strapped to your pack.

jhm2023

WKR
I don't carry a pistol for sheep hunting. My rifle rides in a Stone Glacier quick release sling for easy access when needed. When I have to bust through an alder thicket I have the rifle in hand for two reasons. First so my barrel isn't catching on stuff and second in case of a close encounter with something that needs shooting. When I bow hunt I carry a pistol in a chest holster, but I don't archery hunt sheep.

gbflyer

WKR
Most sheep guys are so conscious about weight that they’d take that $900 carbon fiber stock off the rifle if there was a good way to hold it otherwise. No way most of them are packing a pistola.

OP
J

JasonM

FNG
Most sheep guys are so conscious about weight that they’d take that $900 carbon fiber stock off the rifle if there was a good way to hold it otherwise. No way most of them are packing a pistola.
Kinda what I figured

OP
J

JasonM

FNG
I don't carry a pistol for sheep hunting. My rifle rides in a Stone Glacier quick release sling for easy access when needed. When I have to bust through an alder thicket I have the rifle in hand for two reasons. First so my barrel isn't catching on stuff and second in case of a close encounter with something that needs shooting. When I bow hunt I carry a pistol in a chest holster, but I don't archery hunt sheep.
Do you carry a round in chamber?

When I am hunting for myself, I only carry a rifle. It is either always in my hands, or hooked over the post of my frame pack. I will never "strap" it to my pack if it is my only sidearm.

When I am guiding sheep hunters, I only carry a pistol, a lightweight .44. I carry it in a Diamond D leather chest holster. It doesn't interfere with my pack at all, and works well.

Josh

I dont always carry but when I do I normally carry my Tarus tracker - .44 magnum with 240 grain cast lead bullets. It will shoot through a railroad tie....figure it will kill a bear or a lion if I needed it to.