Sierra 6 BDX?

PantaRhei

FNG
I'm new to rifle hunting, as I grew up in Indiana shooting shotguns, so I've got a bit of learning to do for Colorado. I got a Weatherby Mark V Outfitter in 300 Wby and am debating on optics. I've got Sig 3000BDX binos on the way, so I've considered looking at a Sierra 6 BDX 3-18. I've got a VX-III 3.5-10x50 (illuminated with 30mm tube) that could go on it, but was considering putting it on my old backup 30-06 and getting something new for the Weatherby. The Mark 5HD and VX6HD scopes look nice, as I'd like to keep overall weight down for the mountains, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I run a BDX on my .300wm and love it. It's a little heavier than other options but the features are worth it IMO.... especially since you have the BDX binos

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

OP
PantaRhei

PantaRhei

FNG
I run a BDX on my .300wm and love it. It's a little heavier than other options but the features are worth it IMO.... especially since you have the BDX binos

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

I'll probably check a bdx out eventually... Seems like it could be a good system.

OP
PantaRhei

PantaRhei

FNG
Isn't a BDX scope illegal in Co

Not that I'm aware of...I know they're strict on bows and black powder, but I don't think they limit electronics like that on rifles. I could be wrong, as I'm still learning.

OP
PantaRhei

PantaRhei

FNG
Looks like it may now be the case...

"SMART RIFLES are prohibited, including any firearm equipped with a tar-
get tracking system, electronically controlled, assisted or computer-linked
trigger or a ballistics computer. Any firearm equipped with a scope contain-
ing a computer processor is considered to be a smart rifle."

Glad I didn't go that route...I was fishing around and, at the time, only Idaho had outlawed them. Thanks for the heads-up.

ericF

WKR
Incorrect, the Sig BDX is still legal in Colorado. They changed the definition of a smart rifle a little bit this year from saying a scope containing a ballistic calculator to a computer processor, but it still doesnt apply to the BDX according to CPW. That being said, longer term I don't think it will stay legal but at least for this year it is. Here is the email I got from them two months ago when I asked about it because of the wording change.

"Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I understand you are inquiring about Sig Sierra BDX Scope as a legal scope in Colorado.

I have shared a previous inquiry about the Sig BDX with our lead law enforcement investigator and I have been provided the following information;

One of the criteria to fit into smart rifle technology is that it has a ballistic computer. In looking at Sig Sauer's website this BDX system would not fit into the "smart rifle" definition and thus be legal. https://www.sigsauer.com/products/electro-optics/bdx/
There is a separate rangefinder used to determine the distance to the animal and is paired using Bluetooth technology to the riflescope to determine the exact holdover. There is also an app that is downloaded for smartphones used to bond the rangefinder to the scope.

Although Sig BXD scope is currently legal, our Parks and Wildlife Commission is concerned about the ethics of fair chase and one needs to check the regulation each year to make sure it is still legal to use in Colorado.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us by phone or email.
--
Bradley Gabrielski
Communication Center Wildlife Coordinator"

OP
PantaRhei

PantaRhei

FNG
Well, I wonder what is processing the information being relayed to the scope? Black magic? ;) Thanks for the clarification..I agree, it'll likely get axed at some point.

I am still trying to find a bdx 6 scope up in canada!! I have the bdx 3 model and am happy with it aside of the glass isnt as clear as the zeiss I normally run. The 6 should have better glass. I also have the 3000 binos.

CPW is interestingly behind the ball on their own regs it would appear...

I was surprised when the communications dept at CPW responded that this new definition in regulation does not preclude the Sig BDX since, while it does not contain a ballistics computer, the scope does contain a "bluetooth reciever and circuitry" which receives data from the rangefinder via bluetooth and processes this signal to provide a digital elevation and windage hold. In addition to this applied ballistics technology there are two more components of this scope which appear to rely on computer processing inside the scope. The motion activated MOTAC system which " immediately powers up illumination when it senses motion and powers down when it does not " as well as the LevelPlex digital anti-cant system which "utilizes an integrated digital level with cant indicators located inside of the riflescope".

Electronic processing of movement and scope cant and signaling with an output of an LED light or a turning off of power are both indicative of onboard computer processing.

More generally, these technologies appear to be expanding beyond the spirit of the regulation and statute. Whether the scope "contains" a ballistic computer is no longer relevant as these technologies are now automatically, and digitally employing a ballistic computer. That is what should matter! Physically these scopes may not contain a ballistics computer, but they do contain the electronic technology to deploy them in a way that is indistinguishable from scopes that do (ie the burris eliminator).

I used the BDX for a season, and while it isn't at a level to let joe blow off the street take 500yd shots without practice, the tech is getting there. Perhaps more worrisome, this tech gives the user a false sense of capability that I believe is likely to lead to more wounding and unethical shot attempts.

Last edited: