Sierra Game King performance

This is just a note for those interested on the performance of the 140gr Sierra Gamking from a 260rem. The bullet entered on the right side of a mule deer buck just behind the ribs, and passed through the abdominal and chest cavity, through the left ribs, and the left shoulder blade and was retrieved in the meat just on the left side of shoulder blade. Shot was 250yds, out of a 16" barrel, so it wasn't moving super fast. Anyway, make of it what you will20191108_184452.jpg20191108_184509.jpg

Rich M

WKR
That'll work - you got say 20 inches of penetration. Did you find the lead/core?

I've only had one separation (XTP 158 gr FP 357 mag bullet from rifle) like that and it hit the heavy T-bone in the lower shoulder - copper came loose and the lead kept going.

I shoot the Sierra Pro Hunter - I think that's what it is called - same cup/core as a gameking but flat base, not tapered. Retrieved a bullet about 5 or 6 years ago - 60 yd shot on big doe, bullet mushroomed well and dumped all energy. Since then I've not had any stay in an animal - shots out to 225 yds. 30-06 150 gr roughly 3000 fps

How do you like the 260? I'm finding myself getting recoil sensitive and need a lighter kick than my 30-06 - shot a muley this year with 243 and feel I need more than that. 7mm-08, 260, 6.5 creed are all considerations.

OP
Hammockhead
Yeah, it was probably about 20". I think it would have passed through if it hadn't hit the shoulder blade. I didn't find the core (didnt look super hard). I am thinking it might have passed through actually, as the jacket was only in the meat about an inch under the hide. I think the 260 is a great round. It was my 10yo boys first year hunting, and that's what I went with for him, largely because of recoil and preferred something heavier than the 243. He is shooting a m77 compact 16" barrel with a muzzle break. Mild recoil, but really capable. The doe he shot the day before was about the same distance out, bedded down and facing us. It blew three her front arm (hunerus), and exited out near the opposite rear leg. Those are the only kills so far we have made with that round, but I am happy with it, and with the game king.

Last edited:

jrg_80

FNG
Wanted the factory Game King to work out of my 260, but she didn’t like them. I’ve been pleased with Nosler BT in 120gr and the Accubond in 130gr. Both will shoot a “clover leaf” out to 200yd and have been bad medicine on the whitetail and axis here in central TX.
Congrats on your son’s harvest!

jrg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feel the hunting community is all over the map on bullet performance these days. Sierra Game Kings have been around forever and for good reason. They are usually a very accurate bullet and have taken countless game animals. I get 1/2 MOA with them out of my 30-06 and wouldn’t hesitate using them on any deer sized game.

Cup and core bullets are currently out of vogue on hunting sites due to reports of core separated bullets recovered from dead animals. Yet more and more folks are raving about using target and other highly frangible bullets on game. Just Saying.

Pretty standard for cup and core bullets. Had a 150 hornady from a 30-30 do that on a hog. Shot her head on at 15 yards and pulled the separated lead and jacket from her neck. I’d say that 140 performed quite well with that much penetration.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I’d be happy with that. If you are recovering bullets you are killing game.

I have tried them out of a 270Win and 300Win and never recovered a sizeable chunk of the bullet. Most was shots under 100yds and we only found small pieces of jacket and lead scattered thru the deer. They may work well at slower speeds but around 2600+ and they will splatter especially if you hit a bone.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I tried them in my 25-06, but quickly changed to greener pastures. I didn't care for the performance in my 25-06.

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a very limited sample size compared to a lot of guys on here but everything I’ve shot with 165gr gamekings has either bang flopped or run less than 30 yards. All shots were under 250 and were either white tail or axis.

Old thread but I loaded up 4 charge weights of H4350 and the 165 Sierra GK in an older 30-06 I own. 57.5 grains was the most accurate so I will be taking it afield for a bit of nostalgia.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Dead buck, so looks like it did the job. I've been very happy with the performance I've seen personally with Sierra TGK. Been shooting 175gr Sierra Tipped Game Kings the last 2 seasons in my 6.8 Western. All pass throughs. Elk were shot between 40yds to 500yds. Antelope and Mule Deer were 100, 300, and 350.

Unckebob

WKR
Feel the hunting community is all over the map on bullet performance these days. Sierra Game Kings have been around forever and for good reason. They are usually a very accurate bullet and have taken countless game animals. I get 1/2 MOA with them out of my 30-06 and wouldn’t hesitate using them on any deer sized game.

Cup and core bullets are currently out of vogue on hunting sites due to reports of core separated bullets recovered from dead animals. Yet more and more folks are raving about using target and other highly frangible bullets on game. Just Saying.

The ELD-X and ELD-M are both cup and core bullets. I sometimes think people forget that.