Sierra Gamekings

OP
E

EdP

WKR
I called sierra and they told me "most resources are put towards most popular offerings, less popular offerings may have an extended production timeline" " production timeline info is not available"
This is what I was thinking is the most likely situation. Unfortunately it appears they have no plans to run production batches of anything else for the foreseeable future.

49ereric

WKR
I had such a terrible experience with gk in my 25-06 years ago, I swore I would never use it again. I quickly moved on to better bullets and couldn’t be happier.
Same here but I hunt the woods and the close shots mean gk’s are worthless,explode on contact. I was having to shoot deer 3 times and then deal with lead fragments in the meat 🤦‍♂️.
went back to Sierra pro hunter and one shot kills.

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking for 140 gr TGKs or SBTs in 7mm for over a year. Sierra bullets are what I trust to test the accuracy potential of a rifle and I have a new to me 7mm-08 to test. If it won't shoot them to my satisfaction I'll dump it.
graffs has 140 sbt game kings in stock

FLS

WKR
Same here but I hunt the woods and the close shots mean gk’s are worthless,explode on contact. I was having to shoot deer 3 times and then deal with lead fragments in the meat 🤦‍♂️.
went back to Sierra pro hunter and one shot kills.
What Bulket were you using? Ive killed a ton of deer with Sierras and never had to shoot a deer more than once. Never had one blow up either.

49ereric

WKR
What Bulket were you using? Ive killed a ton of deer with Sierras and never had to shoot a deer more than once. Never had one blow up either.
165 grain game king boattails. Jacket to thin for the woods range hunting. .308win

WCB

WKR
I think they started making their own loaded ammunition, which appears to have strained their manufacturing. That and they seem to be focused on 22 and 6.5 offerings for the foreseeable future. I used to shoot their 180 and 200 gr GKs in my 300 Wins, but these were hard to get even before the crunch. I shoot Bergers almost exclusively now with similar results, but spending twice as much.
They may make SOME of their own loaded ammo but the majority is outsourced major ammunition manufacturers already in the market.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider

Same here, plenty of 150’s and 165’s out of a .308. Nothing but stellar performance on deer.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
165 grain game king boattails. Jacket to thin for the woods range hunting. .308win
I just woods with a 300 WM loaded with 180gr SGK's. Longest shot from my stnd is just under 100yds. Stellar performance. Still waiting to take one with my 308 loaded with the 165's.

49ereric

WKR
I just woods with a 300 WM loaded with 180gr SGK's. Longest shot from my stnd is just under 100yds. Stellar performance. Still waiting to take one with my 308 loaded with the 165's.
My shots were 30 yards and this was 25 years ago and I bought the GK‘s from a neighbor so not sure how old they were. Prohunter spitzer or round nose a better choice for the woods in my opinion.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
My shots were 30 yards and this was 25 years ago and I bought the GK‘s from a neighbor so not sure how old they were. Prohunter spitzer or round nose a better choice for the woods in my opinion.
You’re spreading 25 year old information? You don’t think they’ve tweaked the game kings in 25 years? 150grain 308 at 30 yards through both shoulders. Perfect mushroom.

49ereric

WKR
You’re spreading 25 year old information? You don’t think they’ve tweaked the game kings in 25 years? 150grain 308 at 30 yards through both shoulders. Perfect mushroom.
It is true and I see no problem with it. I certainly hope they improved the GK but I will never go back to them.
flat base bullets just as accurate or better out 200 yards or a bit farther. Woods hunters just don’t need a boat tail.
I went with the 165 gr GK to try to have a flatter shooting load for all ranges.

Rich M

WKR
Not a lot of diff between PH and GK. Not sure why one works less than the other. Best i can tell is that they have the same skin if you remove the boattail.

3 shots with a 165 gr bullet to kill a deer at 30 yards?
I do believe it - stranger things have happened. Just something isn't adding up. I shoot 150 PH (3006) and 100 PH (243) and have had less than full penetration but never 3 shots into a deer. They usually lay over upon impact.

49ereric

WKR
Not a lot of diff between PH and GK. Not sure why one works less than the other. Best i can tell is that they have the same skin if you remove the boattail.

3 shots with a 165 gr bullet to kill a deer at 30 yards?
I do believe it - stranger things have happened. Just something isn't adding up. I shoot 150 PH (3006) and 100 PH (243) and have had less than full penetration but never 3 shots into a deer. They usually lay over upon impact.
My brother‘s savage 06 shoots the 150’s Ph extremely well with 57 grs of imr 4350 but not the 180’s.
I just it put there the older GK’s had issues for me. No thru & thru performance. Deflection from initial impact. Small-tiny lead pieces everywhere in the meat. no bullet recovery just a jacket. Not lower leg bone strikes but behind the shoulder Rib Area
I went back to PH 180 spitzer and 1 shot kills.

My experiences with the gameking weren’t great, but game was recovered. 308, 165 bthp pushed around 2725. Hit a coyote at about 30-40 yards. Pencil hole in, pencil hole out. Took forever to find the holes. Next was a small buck a week later. Bow range. Basically the same as the coyote. Pencil in and out. The coyote never took a step, the buck threatened going over the hill but didn’t. Not sure if them being hollow points was the issue, but I changed to the btsp after but never took another animal with them. Few years later I shot a 243 loaded with the 85gr gameking. Killed a deer with it. The lack of a blood trail was off putting, but the insides were soup. I no longer shoot a 243 since I prefer blood trails hunting grown up fields.

ozyclint

WKR
Had a very good experience with a 110gr pro hunter out of my .270win last week. Went to check cameras on a place I bowhunt after work and took my rifle in case there was an opportunity at some meat. Near one of my cameras I spotted a young fallow buck. Got a 20 yard shot after he cleared some brush as he walked my way. Shot was quartering on. Entered in front of shoulder and bullet was under the hide at the back of the ribs on the far side. Ran 30 yards and went down for good.
This was the first kill with this bullet in a reduced load I made for my 9yo son. MV 2500fps. Intended for use inside 100 yards. Very happy. Bullet was perfectly mushroomed and weighed 73gr.

Seirra website actually says that it performs well as a medium game bullet when driven at moderate velocity. Drive it fast and it would be more of a varmint bullet.
My experience checks out.

49ereric

WKR
Had a very good experience with a 110gr pro hunter out of my .270win last week. Went to check cameras on a place I bowhunt after work and took my rifle in case there was an opportunity at some meat. Near one of my cameras I spotted a young fallow buck. Got a 20 yard shot after he cleared some brush as he walked my way. Shot was quartering on. Entered in front of shoulder and bullet was under the hide at the back of the ribs on the far side. Ran 30 yards and went down for good.
This was the first kill with this bullet in a reduced load I made for my 9yo son. MV 2500fps. Intended for use inside 100 yards. Very happy. Bullet was perfectly mushroomed and weighed 73gr.

Seirra website actually says that it performs well as a medium game bullet when driven at moderate velocity. Drive it fast and it would be more of a varmint bullet.
My experience checks out.
years ago I shot a box or two of PH 125’s and very accurate in my rifle.mostly shot paper and few crows.
i deer hunt often in heavy cover of ash willow swamps but some hardwoods and most locals always used 180’s cuz 150’s wouldn’t get thru heavy cover at times or they just missed but blamed brush 🤷‍♂️
remington 180 coreloks I shot in the 70’s bedore t was hand loading always did well in heavy hazel brush.
father in law always said “hunt where you can’t see far For bucks” where I live it works but lot of sitting time to do it.

I've never had a problem shooting game with them. I think sometimes bullets don't act the same when you hit smaller animals like coyotes.
I also noticed a lot of loaded Sierra ammo on the shelves here but not a whole lot of bullets