Sierra Madre Outfitters

I’m trying to get the down and dirty on this outfitter in Mexico. Has anyone hunted with them before? I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. My BIL bought a hunt through them at SCI and wants me to join him. Trying to figure out if it’s worth my time and money. Thanks!

vomatic

FNG
Did you ever get any info on Sierra Madre Outfitters? I am interested in any references too

Same, would love some info

Thanks
They have the animals but are a very sketchy operation. They took us to Tiboron Island and it was basically a poaching hunt! My son got a very nice sheep and I had the opportunity for a 200 + mule deer at 450 yards. The guides had us hiding from planes and we came back at night with all lights off.
The boats were not safe and equipment was very marginal.
I’m to old for this kind of adventure and will not be returning.

Some places it is not illegal to hunt at night.
As long as you can see the critter with no illumination of any kind.

Understand.
We came back in the dark in the boat without lights to avoid being seen. Instructed to not use a flash light and hit the beach like we were avoiding the authorities.
I advise extreme caution with this Outfitter.
I have hunted internationally and never had a similar experience.

Elkangle

WKR
Understand.
We came back in the dark in the boat without lights to avoid being seen. Instructed to not use a flash light and hit the beach like we were avoiding the authorities.
I advise extreme caution with this Outfitter.
I have hunted internationally and never had a similar experience.

Thank you....the prices seemed alil too good to be true

Desert bighorn went for 30k...muledeer in the mid thousands...hopefully they clean things up abit

NIdaho 71

FNG
I am in the same boat with a very expensive 3 species deer hunt for both my brother and I. Same exact 2 year results you have described above with Homer. I’ve been so busy and not able to follow through with research yet to find an attorney. I would think these hunting foundations/hunting clubs have come across this type of scenario before and have recommendations/resource of who to talk with or a direction.

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
I just returned from a nightmare experience with Homer and the Seri Indians (Miguel Estrella). I bought the auction Sheep hunt (same as Justin Shaffer of KUIU) and a couple Mule deer hunts. What a mistake!!!

Avoid SMH at all costs for your own good! Both Homer Conedo Sr and Jr are liars and crooks!

Avoid Mexico City also. Customs tried to steal my rifles and scopes. Bad deal all the way around!

Word needs to get out so more guys don't get screwed by these criminals.

Attachments

• gZeYvD4kRtSvcubGA9g53Q.jpg
    gZeYvD4kRtSvcubGA9g53Q.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
The post on Facebook by Taylor Raats is legit. Taylor is a good friend and as honest as they come. He actually asked me to repost his Facebook post here on Rokslide and just haven’t gotten around to it. I fell terrible for him and anyone else that has had this happen to them. Sierra Madre is trash. Hopefully word will spread and he gets driven out of business.

OP
passinggas33
Thank you for this information. Sounds like my BIL probably won’t be ever hunting in Mexico…and I won’t be joining him. At least not with this outfitter.

Kdunning

FNG
I went with two other friends on a hunt with SMO last month. We were originally booked for a mule deer hunt last year and Homer cancelled our hunt three days before we were supposed to leave (allegedly due to Covid). Homer refused to refund our money and took months to get back to us. Eventually he rebooked us this January. We were also supposed to hunt sheep. We spoke with a few references before we left, and the vouched for the outfit. I suspect Homer runs a very few sort of legit hunts to have a few references.
When we arrived in Altar, Mexico, we were dropped off at a lodge and were taken out to the Sonora Desert for deer hunting first. We never saw or spoke to Homer. He would text back on Whatsapp but would not answer. We "hunted" deer for 3 nights, by spotlighting out of the back of pickups. This was clearly not what we were expecting, nor did we expect the guides and interpreters to be chugging tequila and snorting lines of cocaine every 15 minutes.
There were a few big deer there, but this was a spotlighting operation. In addition we ran into dozens of caravans of illegal immigrants driving past us each night.
Then we were supposed to be transported to Hermosillo to be taken to the sheep hunting ranch. We were stuck for 3 days in a hotel in Hermosillo and Homer never showed up. He never answered the phone, and kept saying he overbooked the hunt and he would send a driver to take us back to Tucson. Eventually, we had to find our own way home by hiring a private driver to take us the 4 hours back to the US at a cost of $950 cash US.
Now that we are back, Homer is again silent and dropped off our Whatsapp chat. This outfitter is a scam and should be avoided by any US hunter. This is not a legit hunt and you likely will end up losing your money.

Coteadam

FNG
I did a Desert Bighorn hunt with Homero in March 2021. I shot a very nice ram. I have yet to receive my trophy. I had a legal gun permit and a license. Homero continues to tell me I will receive my trophy but that they are waiting on the CITES permit. How long does that take?

At this point I remain hopeful that I will receive my trophy. But I will be honest, based on others reports and experiences, I am quite worried…

Last edited:

Coteadam

FNG
They have the animals but are a very sketchy operation. They took us to Tiboron Island and it was basically a poaching hunt! My son got a very nice sheep and I had the opportunity for a 200 + mule deer at 450 yards. The guides had us hiding from planes and we came back at night with all lights off.
The boats were not safe and equipment was very marginal.
I’m to old for this kind of adventure and will not be returning.
Did you ever receive your trophy?

hunter10

FNG
Did you ever receive your trophy?
he is a crook ,i have been wating too years for my illegal hunted animals ,that at the time didnt no we were hunting in a place that we were not supposed to be , I NO NOW, Homero is a crook he owes me 10 thousand $ fo a hunt that i paid ,but couldnt go becauase of the pandenic , that was in 2020 he wont return my money or calls ,looking for a lawyer in mexico ,STAY AWAY FROM SERRA MADRE OUTFITTERS HIS NAME IS HOMERO THE CROOK

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't waste any money on a lawyer against Homer Conedo. Nothing any good will come of it.

I lost plenty and I bought one sheep hunt through onlinehuntingauctions.com and a couple deer hunts from another booking agency. I'm just licking my wounds and moving on.

The Conedo's are dishonest and just scam hunters or do illegal crap.

Don't even consider taking a chance with these guys. You will just loose your money or worse. I don't want to be in a Mexican prison!

Homer will piss off the wrong guys and get his judgement. It is Mexico after all.

hunter10

FNG
I wouldn't waste any money on a lawyer against Homer Conedo. Nothing any good will come of it.

I lost plenty and I bought one sheep hunt through onlinehuntingauctions.com and a couple deer hunts from another booking agency. I'm just licking my wounds and moving on.

The Conedo's are dishonest and just scam hunters or do illegal crap.

Don't even consider taking a chance with these guys. You will just loose your money or worse. I don't want to be in a Mexican prison!

Homer will piss off the wrong guys and get his judgement. It is Mexico after all.
Thanks , you are probably right, but it is important that other hunters are aware of Homer and his outfitter , they are scammers, STAYAWAY.