SIG BDX sysytem

So I have a new 30-06 on the way and am contemplating putting the Sig Sierra 3 2.5-8x32 BDX on it. Curious if anyone here has used the system and had any feedback on it. It sure is a slick looking system. Coming from shooting a longbow predominantly for the last couple years makes it seem even more so. Any advice is appreciated. Fwiw this would be the rifle that would be with me in longer hayfield shots here in TN and also be with me in the event I head out west in the future.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I work with Sig and have used BDX a ton. It’s an accurate system and it is fast, especially if you have someone ranging for you while your in the scope. Great option for kids too.

You are dealing with electronics so extra attention needs to be paid to batteries in the scope etc. But once the rangefinder is paired to the scope and you've inputted all the data via the phone app you no longer need your phone.

It’s basically the same thing as if you inputted data into any other rangefinder and dialed a scope, except it’s all electronic. I think their ballistic system is great, the app is user friendly. I wouldn’t hesitate to give it a shot. If you’re interested shoot me a pm and I can get you some $ off

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I used the BDX system on my recent solo elk hunt. very quick and saves you time on the shot. the shot was 551 yards and the bull was moving into the timber. quickly got set up, ranged, got the MOA and made the shot. I believe the time saved with the system let me get a shot on the bull.

Agree on everything said so far. Cool system and I think the optics are "good".

My only complaint is more of a long range/precision application: the electronic reticle area is a bit thick, so depending on magnification it's hard to aim exactly at a small point. Not an issue hunting but you won't be able to win any F class shooting competitions with one...

I have the kilo3000 and the app on my phone, just using an moa dial. I have had great luck with it. I really like the binos despite being heavy. So far I have killed coyotes out to 530 yards with it and shot targets out to 800. Over all I like the BDX combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NinjaVanish
I work with Sig and have used BDX a ton. It’s an accurate system and it is fast, especially if you have someone ranging for you while your in the scope. Great option for kids too.

You are dealing with electronics so extra attention needs to be paid to batteries in the scope etc. But once the rangefinder is paired to the scope and you've inputted all the data via the phone app you no longer need your phone.

It’s basically the same thing as if you inputted data into any other rangefinder and dialed a scope, except it’s all electronic. I think their ballistic system is great, the app is user friendly. I wouldn’t hesitate to give it a shot. If you’re interested shoot me a pm and I can get you some $ off
Thanks for info. Can’t PM yet but will definitely let you know. That’s an incredible gesture. Thank you.

On the batteries, let’s say they die and don’t have a backup or it’s the moment of truth. Optically, I’d still have the crosshairs and hashes correct? Just no light?

OP
NinjaVanish
I use the rangefinder and app, but have a Zeiss V4 scope for dialing. Having that type (BDX) of electronics in your scope is illegal in some states (Idaho off the top of my head), so make sure it's legal where you plan to hunt.
So you’re just using the app and doing MOA clicks based off the data?

So you’re just using the app and doing MOA clicks based off the data?
Yes, you don't have to have the scope to use the system.

Once you have all of your rifle/cartridge data in the app and confirmed it's calculating correctly (I shot rocks from 350-750, different angles of elevation, etc to confirm), then it will spit out the MOA/MIL and windage info in the rangefinder view for you to dial your turrets accordingly.

It is one extra step to dial compared to using the BDX scope where it gives you the holdover dot. But I want to aim with my crosshair, not a dot floating in the reticle somewhere. And I'm likely to hunt Idaho so, the scope doesn't make sense for me on those levels.

OP
NinjaVanish
Yes, you don't have to have the scope to use the system.

Once you have all of your rifle/cartridge data in the app and confirmed it's calculating correctly (I shot rocks from 350-750, different angles of elevation, etc to confirm), then it will spit out the MOA/MIL and windage info in the rangefinder view for you to dial your turrets accordingly.

It is one extra step to dial compared to using the BDX scope where it gives you the holdover dot. But I want to aim with my crosshair, not a dot floating in the reticle somewhere. And I'm likely to hunt Idaho so, the scope doesn't make sense for me on those levels.
Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense. Good luck in Idaho!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for info. Can’t PM yet but will definitely let you know. That’s an incredible gesture. Thank you.

On the batteries, let’s say they die and don’t have a backup or it’s the moment of truth. Optically, I’d still have the crosshairs and hashes correct? Just no light?
Yep that’s right

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
After using the BDX scope paired with the Sig rangefinding binos this season I'm a huge fan! So simple and fast. Seems like it should cost a lot more than it does. I give it an A+ rating!

I had planned on using it this hunting season but my scope and range finder would go to sleep very quickly.

Ultimately I decided to take it off my rifle and remount a different scope. My hunting buddy kept his mounted but we didn’t use it at 550yds. We decided to close the gap and take a 250 yd shot. This was because we didn’t feel confident enough to use it. It was still new for us.

Long story short. It’s a neat system. Spend time using it before you trust it.

I was using the bdx2200 range finder and I had the 3.5-10 scope (I also used the 2.5-8).

Edited: I did take the tange finder with me despite not using the whole set up. I sold my Leica range finder after buying the sig. I loved it that much. Just an amazing set up IMO.

OP
NinjaVanish
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I ended up pulling the trigger on the 3.5-10 combo pack. It seems these combos are getting really scarce, so I didn't want to wait any longer. Looking forward to getting familiar with such a cool system.