Sig Cross Hype

c670809

FNG
I know Brittingham at Q has stated that Sig copied them. I guess some of his employees went to Sig. Who knows, it could just be a pissing match since it seems like there is bad blood there. I do know that the Fix is much more proprietary. The whole fire control group is at the back of the bolt. Im not sure that any of it matters anyway. The Fix seems unattainable unless you have the money to put down and wait. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of Q's stuff. It is out of my price range for now but innovation is what drives most every industry.
I appreciate your sharing. I only know what I google, and it sounds like you know more than that. This is one of those times I will be happy to be wrong.

They are both interesting guns. I love the innovation.

I appreciate your sharing. I only know what I google, and it sounds like you know more than that. This is one of those times I will be happy to be wrong.

They are both interesting guns. I love the innovation.
I really don't know much. Just what I have picked up from Qs podcast and a few others and reviews and pictures from others that were posted. Wish I had insight of what was going on with Q development. I like the idea of these rifles. Wish they had more calibers available and were more affordable.

AkRyan

WKR
The Sig Cross would have made so much more sense to ship a short mag version with 6.5PRC and 6.8Western. Both cartridges are solid picks for the lightweight hunting rifle they were trying to build.
If you look at how many people shoot 6.5 and 308 vs prc I think you would see they made a smart decision.

AkRyan

WKR
The 277 fury is a 6.8 western, but better.
What? The 6.8 was made to shoot heavier bullets not lighter bullets faster...the 277 fury was made to get fps out of a short barrel plain and simple. Its main purpose is to shoot humans not game.

AkRyan

WKR
I was looking at the Reaper the other day. I emailed them and they said they may be able to do a 20" 6.5 PRC. It is pricy but after seeing the thread on the replacement barrels, a Cross with a $800 barrel and having a gunsmith swap them puts the Reaper at only a few hundred more and looks like a better gun.

As far as the who made it first argument who cares. Are you all only buying guns from the very first gun manufacturer or from the companies that came along and copied them?
Reaper is a action on a chassis...anyone can do this with any rifle.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
I am considering one for my wife. Curious what people are getting for velocity with the 6.5 and what bullet?

One hang up is by the time you add any upgrades you can get into a Tikka in a magnesium XLR for less.

143 ELD-X over H4350 doing like 2620. Shot a few white tail and antelope with it, from 50 to 650 yards. A tikka in a magnesium XLR would probably peak my interest quite a bit.

AkRyan

WKR
143 ELD-X over H4350 doing like 2620. Shot a few white tail and antelope with it, from 50 to 650 yards. A tikka in a magnesium XLR would probably peak my interest quite a bit.
I have been eye balling the xlr a bit for my 7-08 tikka action but I don't like the stock folding to the opposite side as the bolt. It won't allow the rifle to sit flat against you pack or on a table/case/under seat etc etc etc. This is were the fix and cross win imo.

sram9102

WKR
I have been eye balling the xlr a bit for my 7-08 tikka action but I don't like the stock folding to the opposite side as the bolt. It won't allow the rifle to sit flat against you pack or on a table/case/under seat etc etc etc. This is were the fix and cross win imo.
You can get the xlr folder to go either way. Not sure about the clearance between the stock and the bolt though. I have one on my tikka and have it folding away from the bolt on a LH rifle.

AkRyan

WKR
Interesting..I wonder what 80k psi does for other calibers?

Attachments

• Sig+277+Fury.jpg
    Sig+277+Fury.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 89

z987k

WKR
What? The 6.8 was made to shoot heavier bullets not lighter bullets faster...the 277 fury was made to get fps out of a short barrel plain and simple. Its main purpose is to shoot humans not game.
The 3006 & 308 were meant to kill humans as well, that doesn't make it a bad game cartridge. In fact it has nothing to do with it.

150gr bullet at 2950 is going to kill most anything it hits in the vitals to a pretty reasonable range. The reason the 277 fury is better than the 270wsm and 6.8 western (which ballistically are all identical to each other) is the fury can do it out of a 16 in barrel with less powder which means less recoil. Couple that with a suppressor, and it's a vastly superior hunting round.
Short barrel + supressor is better. Less recoil is better, fastest SAAMI twist(1:7) for long heavy lead/mono bullets with better BC's is better. The fury can stabilize a longer bullet than the western in a SAAMI barrel.

mt100gr.

WKR
the SIG Cross is the only Creedmoor I have owned or seen that would not group under 1.5".
Not precision for sure.

Lefty
Did you discuss this with Sig? Curious what ammo/bullets/powder you tried, and how many rounds? My cross really settled in at about 120 rounds but I never struggled to keep "groups" tight.

Was that 10 round groups you were measuring?

AkRyan

WKR
The 3006 & 308 were meant to kill humans as well, that doesn't make it a bad game cartridge. In fact it has nothing to do with it.

150gr bullet at 2950 is going to kill most anything it hits in the vitals to a pretty reasonable range. The reason the 277 fury is better than the 270wsm and 6.8 western (which ballistically are all identical to each other) is the fury can do it out of a 16 in barrel with less powder which means less recoil. Couple that with a suppressor, and it's a vastly superior hunting round.
Short barrel + supressor is better. Less recoil is better, fastest SAAMI twist(1:7) for long heavy lead/mono bullets with better BC's is better. The fury can stabilize a longer bullet than the western in a SAAMI barrel.
If a 150 going 2900 will work why won't a 168 going 2800? What makes that so much more superior? Do you think the 277 has less recoil even though it's a 80k psi charge? In order to get speed the have to push the bullet harder/faster, every action has a equal or opposite reaction. I'm a military semi auto platform I'm sure this isn't much of a issue but I think people will find it recoil just as hard a magnums.

z987k

WKR
If a 150 going 2900 will work why won't a 168 going 2800? What makes that so much more superior? Do you think the 277 has less recoil even though it's a 80k psi charge? In order to get speed the have to push the bullet harder/faster, every action has a equal or opposite reaction. I'm a military semi auto platform I'm sure this isn't much of a issue but I think people will find it recoil just as hard a magnums.
Because it'll be pushing 15-20gr or so less powder. That means less recoil. The powder weight also has to be accelerated and is part of that equal and opposite. It'll be like shooting a 270wsm with a touch more recoil than a 7mm-08. Using a recoil calculator, for equal bullet weights, muzzle velocity, gun weight(which they do have), 27% less recoil energy than a 270wsm, 15% less recoil velocity. Assuming they are filling the 277 fury cartridge with powder.
The two things I really like about the cartridge, is it wont recoil like a magnum, while delivering magnum energy. And the saami rifle twist will stabilize some really long bullets. Better than the 6.8 western.
Depending on what the powder loads end up being, you might be able to stuff that long bullet way down in the case and still use the short action.

not that it doesn't have interesting features for sure....the hype is Sig pushed it to a bunch of Insta hunters....that is where the hype is from...advertising/marketing.
i think you are spot on... it does have intriguing specs and features, but the instafamous/ youtube folks seem to be shooting them a lot. i could see getting one for my daughter down the road, and for that reason i'm dropping my savage UL into a magnesium XLR, but if she ends up wanting her own rifle, the cross is on my short list, but another savage UL in a magnesium XLR in her choice of configuration is probably more likely, or even a Tikka. if my savage ends up sub 7# minus optic, hard not to just go that route again

I would look at the Christensen MPP. I went back and forth on the sig cross looking for a lightweight mountain rifle for sub 500 yard hunting. The cross really isnt that lightweight. I ended up going with the MPP in 308 and I have been super happy with it for its intended purpose. It folds up small enough to fit inside my pack, barrel is only 12.5”. I am getting .68 moa groups at 300 yards with cheap factory ammo. Something to think about…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AkRyan

WKR
Also the 1
Because it'll be pushing 15-20gr or so less powder. That means less recoil. The powder weight also has to be accelerated and is part of that equal and opposite. It'll be like shooting a 270wsm with a touch more recoil than a 7mm-08. Using a recoil calculator, for equal bullet weights, muzzle velocity, gun weight(which they do have), 27% less recoil energy than a 270wsm, 15% less recoil velocity. Assuming they are filling the 277 fury cartridge with powder.
The two things I really like about the cartridge, is it wont recoil like a magnum, while delivering magnum energy. And the saami rifle twist will stabilize some really long bullets. Better than the 6.8 western.
Depending on what the powder loads end up being, you might be able to stuff that long bullet way down in the case and still use the short action.
The BIG question is what powder are they using. Stuffing a cm case full of standard powders used today won't hit 80k I don't think. So I'm guessing the powder will be pretty efin hot.