Sig Kilo 1000 vs 1600 BDX Rangefinder

After doing some research on here, youtube and elsewhere I'm still a little fuzzy on whether this rangefinder will perform for my needs. It also looks like there have been a few variations of power throughout the years with this rangefinder lineup (1000, 1200, 1400, 1600, 1800, etc...) but the current models I'm looking at are the 1000 BDX vs the 1600 BDX.

Is there any significant advantage to go to the 1600? I'm just using this for hunting, not into long range target shooting or anything. Current proficiency is out to 300 but would like to extend that to 500 in the coming year. Will the 1000 be sufficient for that purpose?

I believe the 1600 would have the red oled, I don't think the 1000 would. Up to you but that's a deal breaker for me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Whatever you choose, just make sure it has a red LED display. Last time I looked, the 1000 didn’t and some of the 1600s didn’t but some did.

Black LED is almost invisible in any low light scenario. Red LED is a must for any hunting application in my book.

morgaj1

WKR
Whatever you choose, just make sure it has a red LED display. Last time I looked, the 1000 didn’t and some of the 1600s didn’t but some did.

Black LED is almost invisible in any low light scenario. Red LED is a must for any hunting application in my book.
This^^^. The red display is the reason that I went with the 1600

hunterjmj

WKR
I was just looking into this rangefinder. Didn't realize the 1000bdx lacked the red led. I suppose I'll get the 1600bdx or the 1800bdx.
I'm updating my 20 year old trusty Leica LRF900.

hunterjmj

WKR
Just ordered the 1600bdx from cabelas. Had a few gift cards laying around so I thought I'd burn those.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
so I was counting on being able to use the ABU mode to determine MOA adjustments on a hunt starting tomorrow but my rifle is out of action and my buddy’s scope is a BDC reticle. We have a dope chart, but for ranging distances should we use LOS (triangle hypotenuse) or AMR (angle compensated horizontal distance)?

we’re not planning to poke anything past 300 but want to be as accurate as possible given the circumstances. I always hear angle is a huge factor but beyond the ballistics calculator doing the work for me I’m a little lost on making sure we’re using the correct setting paired with a BDC reticle.

roughnecknine0

Lil-Rokslider
so I was counting on being able to use the ABU mode to determine MOA adjustments on a hunt starting tomorrow but my rifle is out of action and my buddy’s scope is a BDC reticle. We have a dope chart, but for ranging distances should we use LOS (triangle hypotenuse) or AMR (angle compensated horizontal distance)?

we’re not planning to poke anything past 300 but want to be as accurate as possible given the circumstances. I always hear angle is a huge factor but beyond the ballistics calculator doing the work for me I’m a little lost on making sure we’re using the correct setting paired with a BDC reticle.
For under 300 leave it on AMR and don't worry about it. The steeper the angle up or down, and the farther the shot, the more that a calculated horizontal distance matters. Some people like to take a LOS measurement and then calculate an AMR on their own, but for under 300 and shooting relatively level I'd leave it on AMR and use that value as your range to target in whichver ballistic app you use.