Sig Kilo 5k experience?

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with this unit yet? I need to upgrade, and was thinking this one might be the ticket.

Hoping that it will easily register freehand shots out to 1000m with zero drama. Don't care about the other fluff (bluetooth,GPS pins, etc). My current unit can hardly register things outside of 500m, and I'm sick of it.

You'll be happy with it. Was able to shoot 3k handheld yesterday out here in CO.

I've cycled through three rangefinder recently. Started with the leica 2700b. Beautiful glass and size was awesome. It truly ranges to the advertised distances. I moved away from it due to the lag on the angle compensation. That doesn't work for me in quick archery situations. Next went to the vortex 4000. Overall pleased with the unit, but the reticle was thick and the device itself was a bit chunky. The reticle brightness does not auto adjust and no internal ballistics. Landed most recently on the 5k and have been very happy. Reticle is good and the auto brightness is something I could never move away from now I have it. Internal ballistics is good and pairing to the Kestrel is butter. It might be a bit overkill on features for you but the ranging is excellent. Only knock on it is that the glass isn't as good as the other two imo. It has a blue hue I dont love but the brightness is there to last light. I'd say if you don't care about a delay on angle compensation, ballistics, or features that way, leica 2400 r might be for you. If you want some features for a slight hit on glass quality, the 5k is where I'd go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your input, that certainly helps.

I'm a funny case in that I don't really give a crap about optical clarity (I have binos for looking at stuff), and I don't care about the gadget/bluetooth stuff. I simply want to range freehand, get an accurate number, and then dial.

Something that will range and return a number inside 1000m every single time on soft targets (not having to hold the unit perfect, the angle of the sun, hold your tongue the right way) is all I'm looking for.

I was eyeballing the Leica's, but have heard they are having issues in cold weather right now.

You'll be happy with it. Was able to shoot 3k handheld yesterday out here in CO.

I've cycled through three rangefinder recently. Started with the leica 2700b. Beautiful glass and size was awesome. It truly ranges to the advertised distances. I moved away from it due to the lag on the angle compensation. That doesn't work for me in quick archery situations. Next went to the vortex 4000. Overall pleased with the unit, but the reticle was thick and the device itself was a bit chunky. The reticle brightness does not auto adjust and no internal ballistics. Landed most recently on the 5k and have been very happy. Reticle is good and the auto brightness is something I could never move away from now I have it. Internal ballistics is good and pairing to the Kestrel is butter. It might be a bit overkill on features for you but the ranging is excellent. Only knock on it is that the glass isn't as good as the other two imo. It has a blue hue I dont love but the brightness is there to last light. I'd say if you don't care about a delay on angle compensation, ballistics, or features that way, leica 2400 r might be for you. If you want some features for a slight hit on glass quality, the 5k is where I'd go.

gregb6

FNG
Had a 5k. I liked the scan mode and the applied ballistics giving a quick drop. Didn't range as far as my bdx3000

Looking at getting this unit for rifle and archery. Does it give an angle compensated value quickly for archery applications?

ID_Matt

WKR

Digging up again… can you elaborate on how well the 5k communicates with the kestrel? How quick does it communicate the range to the kestrel and spit out a reading?

Digging up again… can you elaborate on how well the 5k communicates with the kestrel? How quick does it communicate the range to the kestrel and spit out a reading?

Zero lag. By the time I shot the range and looked down at the Kestrel, it was there.

Anyone have experience with this unit yet? I need to upgrade, and was thinking this one might be the ticket.

Hoping that it will easily register freehand shots out to 1000m with zero drama. Don't care about the other fluff (bluetooth,GPS pins, etc). My current unit can hardly register things outside of 500m, and I'm sick of it.
If your open to RF binos then give the Sig Kilo 3000 BDX a look. They are pretty reasonably priced right now and comparing my old handheld in the field its much easier to find your target and get a good range with the binos. The bonus of being able to program your ballistic curve and get a dial solution is pretty big bonus as well.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys know if you can upload your custom load from the app into the rangefinder and the rangefinder will give your custom holdover when your not connected to your phone?

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. I jarred loose and picked up the 5k. You can upload you custom profile and it stays on the rangefinder when not connected to phone. That was important for me. So far been a pretty nice rangefinder and happy with it.

Got the kilo5k but have not pulled it out of the box yet, looking forward to it and it being a smaller bino to pack on the hunt and not have to carry both bino and rangefinder. Used the sig 2400abs in 2018 to take a bull elk 650 yards down hill at about 5,000 ft in the rockies, calculations were spot on. Looking forward to kilo 5k