Sig Kilo Vs Leica Range Finders, help me pick one!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Alright guys, I need (want**) to upgrade my rangefinder from the Vortex 1000. I want to be able to use for close range bow hunting with accurate angle compensating as well as long range rifle hunting out to 600 yards and farther at the shooting range. Price isnt too much of a concern because I am all about buy once cry once, just need one that will last me years to come. I like the idea of these higher end RF's coming with ballistic capabilities built in. I dont know if the temp and altitude features would actually work well or not but I dont really feel I need that part. I just want to be able to have ballistics show up for distance and angle of the shot thats it. Keep it simple like my range cards I keep attached to my rifle. With all that said, do I go with the more expensive Kilo 2400 (ABS, BDX, whats the difference?) or grab a leica 2700 B thats on sale for $550 on @ camera land which ends today. Or another leica model like the 2800.com? From my research the leica has better glass but the sig has a better ballistic app but is a lot more expensive, is it worth the extra $$? Am I over simplifying for my needs with these? Thanks in advance!

I just picked up the 2700 b from cameraland and I have been super impressed with how it can actually range as claimed. I was shooting 2500 yards with it pretty easily. I haven't broke into any of the ballistics stuff so I can't speak to that. I suppose it depends how much it Bluetooth would be worth to ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gearguywb

WKR
I have really been considering the 2800.com. For the money, with the BT it gets some very good reviews. Called CL and they were the same price as everyone else, 749.

The Sig looks interesting but the price difference is pretty big.

The Kilo 3000 looks like a good option as well. Gets good reviews for the RF portion with the glass being mediocre.

I need to spend some time with each and see. (no pun intended)

The Sig will automatically compensate for angle the first time you press the button (and give 4 of these per second). That's the main reason I went with the sig over the leica.

OP
Pacific_Fork

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Doesnt the leica or all RFs for that matter automatically compensate for angles? I know my 5 year old vortex does so I would think the leica does

HuntnPack

WKR
Buy once & make it a Leica 2800.com.

having owned a few brands and kicking them to the curb after experiencing
Some negative issues with them, like having to “map” where the targeting beam was located in relation to the reticle & having it off considerably, forcing you to hold off center aim of reticle caused an inability to range thru tight vegetation, incorrect yardage Readings, non readings, not operational within stated temp range, poor glass, etc.

I am Very happy With the Leica. None of the issues I had with the others. Great Glass,
Ranges Fast & accurate. On board ballistic works Good. Bluetooth & Kestral Link feature.

Last edited:
OP
Pacific_Fork

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Buy once & make it a Leica 2800.com.
having owned a few brands, & experiencing
Some negative issues with them, I am Very happy With the Leica. Great Glass,
Ranges Fast & accurate. On board ballistic works Good. Bluetooth & Kestral Link feature.
Get it from Doug at Cameraland & let him
Know your a forum member.
Great customer service.

This is what I am leaning towards, then again last night I was leaning Sig lol. But I cant ignore the glass quality of leica and the reticle ability to read through tighter windows from what I have read.

I still have questions after reading countless reviews and product features on the 2800.com. Mainly on the ballistic capabilities paired with my Iphone as I do not plan to ever own or bring a kestral into the backcountry hunting. Will the bluetooth connection work or interfere with my Garmin InReach while its also on paired with my phone? And how is leicas app user friendliness? I just want to pair one rifle with one load to my rangefinder and have it shoot back the correct drop in MOA and dial the turret on my nightforce and shoot. At the same time I want the RF to have angle compensation for close range archery and long range rifle. Will I be happy with the 2800 here?

This is what I am leaning towards, then again last night I was leaning Sig lol. But I cant ignore the glass quality of leica and the reticle ability to read through tighter windows from what I have read.

I still have questions after reading countless reviews and product features on the 2800.com. Mainly on the ballistic capabilities paired with my Iphone as I do not plan to ever own or bring a kestral into the backcountry hunting. Will the bluetooth connection work or interfere with my Garmin InReach while its also on paired with my phone? And how is leicas app user friendliness? I just want to pair one rifle with one load to my rangefinder and have it shoot back the correct drop in MOA and dial the turret on my nightforce and shoot. At the same time I want the RF to have angle compensation for close range archery and long range rifle. Will I be happy with the 2800 here?

If you're looking to do keep it simple like that, you might be able to get away with the 2700b and be happy. You can choose from their 12 preset curves or upload your own via sd card. It is true that it takes ~2 seconds from when you first hit the range button on the leica to get your angle compensated distance. That has been its biggest downside to me for archery applications. The sig reports angle compensated immediately. I was talking with my buddy who has the 2400 abs and was telling him how far I was able to range with mine, and he said I was doing better on distance than what he gets. Trade offs I suppose.

HuntnPack

WKR

This will help answer some of your questions.
English version starts at pg39 thru pg60
I can’t answer your question in regards to the In-Reach.

I loaded a custom curve from the app onto mine for 1 rifle. App is very straightforward.
I’m getting a Kestral to go with mine.
Borrowed my buddies Elite & Sold me on it

After all your feature comparisons to other
Rangefinders the next Critical features & maybe Most important is Glass quality, & Targeting ability as you described. Leica is
Excellent in comparison to others.
Hope this helps, good luck.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I had a Sig Kilo 2000 fail during an antelope hunt. Sigs customer service was less than impressive. Unit was under warranty and they did replace it with a 2200. It’s fine. No better than that. Hunting partner’s Kilo 2000 failed during a November mule deer hunt last season. It too was under warranty and Sig replaced it with a 2200.

My next range finder will not be a Sig, period.

I had a Sig Kilo 2000 fail during an antelope hunt. Sigs customer service was less than impressive. Unit was under warranty and they did replace it with a 2200. It’s fine. No better than that. Hunting partner’s Kilo 2000 failed during a November mule deer hunt last season. It too was under warranty and Sig replaced it with a 2200.

My next range finder will not be a Sig, period.

So I’m a little confused, what did you expect them to do or what was the problem. They replaced your unit and upgraded your friends, seems pretty good to me. Now maybe you had to jump through hoops or something and if that is the case then I understand. Equipment fails and it stinks when that happens during a hunt or something similar but that doesn’t mean a company should give you an upgrade or something.

When ehr is set in the parameters on leica 2700 b does it automatically give the angle comp? Or does it give horizontal than angle?
If you're looking to do keep it simple like that, you might be able to get away with the 2700b and be happy. You can choose from their 12 preset curves or upload your own via sd card. It is true that it takes ~2 seconds from when you first hit the range button on the leica to get your angle compensated distance. That has been its biggest downside to me for archery applications. The sig reports angle compensated immediately. I was talking with my buddy who has the 2400 abs and was telling him how far I was able to range with mine, and he said I was doing better on distance than what he gets. Trade offs I suppose.

PNWGATOR

WKR
When I spoke the the SIG customer service rep regarding the failure of my Sig Kilo 2000 we agreed that I’d return the defective unit and I’d pay the difference to upgrade to the 2400. I was satisfied with the resolution. I was sent a 2200. Upon receipt, I reached out to the customer service rep via e mail and by telephone multiple times over several days and never heard back. Never. Not a word. If it was a resolution that he agreed to that he couldn’t deliver, I’d have been okay with that if he’d just have owned it and kept in touch and let me know what was happening on his end.

When ehr is set in the parameters on leica 2700 b does it automatically give the angle comp? Or does it give horizontal than angle?

Line of sight then angle.

Line of sight is immediate. Then count one one thousand, two one thousand and you get the angle compensated distance. It is easily the biggest downside of it to me.

Line of sight then angle.

Line of sight is immediate. Then count one one thousand, two one thousand and you get the angle compensated distance. It is easily the biggest downside of it to me.

Something is wonky with mine then cause it's only giving line of sight. And ehr is set. No other reading after first one.

Something is wonky with mine then cause it's only giving line of sight. And ehr is set. No other reading after first one.

Pick a random ballistic curve and try again. I had mine set to off and it wouldn't do it. Once I picked a curve, it worked.