Sig Kilo5k

I only just got this so take my review for what it's worth. I will try to remember to update the review if I change my mind...
But I'm impressed. I bought a Kestrel 5700 (not elite) with it and set up was really simple. I wanted the 8k version with the full AB elite software but this set up gives me shooting solutions out to 4K yards using the kestrel with wind measurements and holds, but saved me about $700. The rangefinder itself without the kestrel has good data out to 800 yards. I've compared it to the kestrel separately as well as strelok pro. So far they match up well. Perfect for my son and wife who won't shoot past 800 yard except to validate muzzle Velocity.

First evening I tried it I got it to range a building at 4800 yards and change. It's super fast too. Almost immediately gives the range, transmits it to the kestrel, and gives me the shooting solution with elevation and wind. It connects to the kestrel very quickly after turning them both on. I am hopeful it will work much more efficiently than using my phone with strelok pro, a rangefinder, and a weather meter for environmental data and wind measurement while I'm hunting and putting in data manually. That was the setup I have been using and while I have taken my last 2 bucks at 800+ yards, it was a challenge.

It connected to the BDX app on my phone and was pretty simple to set up a rifle/bullet profile and send it to the 5k for the AB Ultralite software in the rangefinder.

Anyone unfamiliar with the new sig Kilo series (5K, 8K, and 10K) they have on board environmental sensors to provide real-time shooting solutions. The 5K has applied ballistics ultralight with solutions out to 800 yards while the 8K and 10K have the full AB elite.

I haven't done much with the Basemap feature, except I can say that the rangefinder will communicate with the app and the kestrel at the same time. But I haven't had a chance to verify the accuracy of the feature. My wife got it for me for my birthday and it's not my birthday yet so she made me put it away until my birthday gets here. So you can blame her for it being incomplete lol.

I also don't have a bdx riflescope but now I'm tempted to get one. If it was legal in Idaho to hunt with one I most likely would get one for my daughter who is planning to hunt for her first time this year. I believe one could be used with the kestrel and rangefinder together but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. I couldn't find a lot of info on it before i bought it so I wanted to share now instead of waiting. I would have appreciated someone sharing this info so... 🤷‍♂️

If anyone has any questions let me know.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Excellent to point out the usefulness of the Sig BDX ecosystem. The Sig BDX 2400, 5k, and the BDX binos also pair with the Garmin 701 with Applied Ballistics. I like the 701 better than the Kestrel for form factor. The processor is also faster and I find the interface a little easier than the Kestrel. I carry five ballistic calculators, the BDX bino, a Kestrel used mainly for wind, my 701 which functions as a GPS as well, a simple app on my Garmin Fenix (not the AB Garmin watch) and my phone. I also carry my DOPE in hard copy at different density altitudes, which I can pull from my Kestrel and my watch.

I run the 701 on my wrist, so once I range something, it pops up with the elevation to dial and I have it set to 10 mph wind for "wind 1" and 0 mph for "wind 2". I don't have to futz around with the 701 in my hand or anything. Once I am on my rifle, if a friend or I range an animal that may have moved, the DOPE is right on my wrist with a glance.

As soon as I can get my hands on a used pair of the Sig 10K Binos, I will upgrade. I love being able to range peaks and animals so I can plan how to work into position on an animal that I may have spotted over a mile away to trek over there.

JHDoritos

FNG
I have the exact same set up and love it. I have used the basemap feature on backpack trip. You range a spot, it gives you a dot on basemap with an azimuth (equal to the distance) to place on spot you ranged. Then you can hike to it! actually worked very well, and was able to go right to what I ranged across this draw we were in. Ive had actual trouble on past hunts putting a pin on ONx maps where we thought the animal was and then get over there and are completely disoriented and not sure if we put the pin in the right spot. Going to be helpful this fall for sure.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the exact same set up and love it. I have used the basemap feature on backpack trip. You range a spot, it gives you a dot on basemap with an azimuth (equal to the distance) to place on spot you ranged. Then you can hike to it! actually worked very well, and was able to go right to what I ranged across this draw we were in. Ive had actual trouble on past hunts putting a pin on ONx maps where we thought the animal was and then get over there and are completely disoriented and not sure if we put the pin in the right spot. Going to be helpful this fall for sure.
The new coordination with Basemap is cool. I don't know that I would download one more mapping software to my phone and keep it, but I will try it.

I have had success ranging and then drawing a line to that distance and/dropping a pin on it. With satellite maps and using the compass to orient the map it is pretty dang accurate. And, with a pin from the original spot, if the pin I dropped wasn't exact, I can follow an arc at the exact ranged distance from the original spot and walk over the top of it. I will name pins at the ranged distance or will add that info into description. I have also done a screenshot of the map on my phone and then drawn or typed information on it for reference. With airdrop, I can share it with iphones.

If you have ever tried to "guide someone" into a spot or if you have tried to get to "the big juniper next to the rock", you know everything looks different as soon as you start moving across the terrain. I always drop pins using my rangefinder to mark different spots so that I can work myself to the exact tree, rise or rock to follow the line that looked the best for an approach.

ID_Matt

WKR
I haven't played with mine a ton yet, but I did notice that when my rangefinder timed out it would disconnect from the kestrel and I would have to re pair it. I am thinking that I can go in and increase the sleep time on the rangefinder and probably avoid the issue? Shouldn't be an issue when hunting, but when shooting varmints I noticed I would shoot one and by the time i went to range a new one, i had to reconnect.

OP
Muley_GOAT
I haven't played with mine a ton yet, but I did notice that when my rangefinder timed out it would disconnect from the kestrel and I would have to re pair it. I am thinking that I can go in and increase the sleep time on the rangefinder and probably avoid the issue? Shouldn't be an issue when hunting, but when shooting varmints I noticed I would shoot one and by the time i went to range a new one, i had to reconnect.
Mine connects back to it automatically. I checked for that because I was worried about it. I didn't want to be trying to reconnect it to the kestrel.

Keep looking into it because you shouldn't have to reconnect it. If the kestrel is on once you range something it should send it to the kestrel. At least mine does. Make sure you have the rangefinder on BDX-X mode and the kestrel on the Bluetooth mode Device.

If it keeps not reconnecting maybe call customer support. Hope that helps.

OP
Muley_GOAT
Excellent to point out the usefulness of the Sig BDX ecosystem. The Sig BDX 2400, 5k, and the BDX binos also pair with the Garmin 701 with Applied Ballistics. I like the 701 better than the Kestrel for form factor. The processor is also faster and I find the interface a little easier than the Kestrel. I carry five ballistic calculators, the BDX bino, a Kestrel used mainly for wind, my 701 which functions as a GPS as well, a simple app on my Garmin Fenix (not the AB Garmin watch) and my phone. I also carry my DOPE in hard copy at different density altitudes, which I can pull from my Kestrel and my watch.

I run the 701 on my wrist, so once I range something, it pops up with the elevation to dial and I have it set to 10 mph wind for "wind 1" and 0 mph for "wind 2". I don't have to futz around with the 701 in my hand or anything. Once I am on my rifle, if a friend or I range an animal that may have moved, the DOPE is right on my wrist with a glance.

As soon as I can get my hands on a used pair of the Sig 10K Binos, I will upgrade. I love being able to range peaks and animals so I can plan how to work into position on an animal that I may have spotted over a mile away to trek over there.
I looked into the garmin 701 but from what I could tell it doesn't collect environmental data. Does the sig provide that info for the garmin device to use in the shooting solution or do you still have to enter it manually?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I looked into the garmin 701 but from what I could tell it doesn't collect environmental data. Does the sig provide that info for the garmin device to use in the shooting solution or do you still have to enter it manually?
It does pressure and with a “Tempe” dongle in my pack where it is closest to ambient and not exposed to the sun, it does temperature really well. Pressure and temperature are really all you need. Humidity I just set at 40% for the most part, in AZ that is close enough unless it is raining.

I don’t like using temperature off the Kilo for solutions cause you have to keep it shaded and out of the sun.