Sig Range Finder Archery mode accuracy?

philcox

WKR
I am curious as to whether someone can explain to me how it is possible for the Sig's to "Archery" mode accurately calculates the trajectory without requiring the weight of the arrow in addition to the speed? I don't see how they can do the BOLD without the weight. Anyone tell me what I am missing?

I reached out to sig and got the following non-answer:
Thank you for contacting SIG SAUER, KILO3K Archery mode is used to compensate for shooting arrows at extreme up/down angles. It requires the speed of your arrow which is entered into the rangefinder in FPS. The rangefinder will produce a solution as an equivalent flat range shoot to distance. Due to the physical limitations of an arrow’s range, after 200 yards the AMR distance to the target will be returned.

Bump79

WKR
Same as any other rangefinder. It's just using trig to get the horizontal distance vs the slope distance as read by the laser. Arrow drop is based on the horizontal distance IE gravity.

Mass does not affect the drop of an arrow as gravity acts in meters per second squared - so time and therefore velocity is what you need to be looking at. The only affect arrow weight would have would be it retains velocity better downrange somewhat as it resists drag.

Bump seems to understand the math....

I am no physicist nor did I understand goodwill hunting, but your pins and/or sight scale takes care of a lot of what deals with arrow speed/weight. The RF just calculates the angle compensated distance and your sight scale has the rest covered.

Important thing is that you use your RF that you based your pins and sight scale on. Ive been to quite a few 3d shoots where 1 person ranges a target and another person will trust it and whiff. Ive shot many different 3d courses in varying terrain and as long as Ive used the RF that my sight tapes and pins were based on, its come out true regardless of angle or elevation, etc. Ive used RFs with angle compensation from Vortex, Leupold and Sig and all have worked without issues. Whether or not thats true as far as the math, Ive never had an issue trusting the angle compensation and my sight tapes.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Duh, Newtons Law ... got to caught up in by load dev on 7PRC. Thanks for the reset.