Sig Sauer cross for Hunting opinions

Rus

FNG
Recently been looking into the sig cross. Specifically the 6.5 CM and I’m intrigued.
Would mostly be used for hunting deer and ringing steel. Seems like the barrel is a little shorter than ideal? Would love to hear some first hand experience hunting with the cross. Maybe some pros and cons? Thanks

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at one as well also in 6.5CM These guys have a good back-and-forth regarding the pros and cons about the platform. When it comes down to it, I think I’m going to just go with a Tikka. Hard to beat that rifle at under $1000.

-RadDad

For a quick handling, pleasant to shoot rifle they’re hard to beat. Being able to change ar-15 grips to what suits you and add any m-lock accessories or leave bare is a huge plus. The adjustments on the stock hold position once set. Factory Hornady 143 6.5creed group under an inch in the one I’ve played with. I actually got this for my dad to hunt deer in KY. For a 500yd or less gun where 95% of shots will be 300 or less it’s hard to beat. I haven’t loaded any 130ish bullets yet but they will hopefully be a bit more impressive on game. He’d never shot past 300yd but with the sig bdx scope and range finder it’s like cheating for him and he loves it. If you want a hunting rifle that smacks steel on occasion this is your rifle. If you want a super precision long range gun get the longer barrel version the extra weight will help.

I’m not a two stage trigger guy, with some adjustment it breaks cleanly enough, I’ve always been a timney/jewel guy so I’m extra picky on my triggers. I have no nitpicking type complains anything you dislike you can swap out, I hated the grip angle but my dad loves it. I’m considering one in 308 myself but for sure next rifle will have 20” or less barrel to run suppressed and keep overall length low.

I enjoy my 6.5 CM Cross. 139 grain Scenar with some H4350 does the job well. Dropped my buck at 300 yards last year. Still waiting on approval for my suppressor.

I enjoy shooting mine, but after hunting with it for a season, I won’t hunt with it again. I found that I really prefer a 2 or 3-position safety that locks the bolt closed on safe for going through dense brush. The safety, being ambidextrous and sort of mushy also has a tendency to get flipped when riding in my GunBearer. The magazine release on my rifle is extremely stiff and sits inside the trigger guard, so I don’t worry about losing a mag.

Mine, in .308 had no issue shooting MOA with Barnes handloads, and I otherwise enjoyed shooting it.

tann435

FNG
Recently been looking into the sig cross. Specifically the 6.5 CM and I’m intrigued.
Would mostly be used for hunting deer and ringing steel. Seems like the barrel is a little shorter than ideal? Would love to hear some first hand experience hunting with the cross. Maybe some pros and cons? Thanks
It shoots 123 ELDms very well and at 2860 FPS & .4 type accuracy (hand loads) its a handy med game / med range carbine.
Its a great Carbine for med. Game at med. ranges. I have the 123 ELDMs going 2860 FPS and going into a .4" hole.
May use it for Sheep next year. I have 143 ELDXs going 2650

SDHNTR

WKR
I like to hunt with a hunting rifle, not something that looks like it belongs in a Star Wars movie.

I have a 308 cross, it’s a 1/2 Moa rifle with many loads. Right now shooting 137 hammers at 2950 FPS out of it. Could go faster but it’s well under half inch with this load. It’s a very handy hunting rifle, no complaints. Just got a buck last weekend with it.

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
What
I have a 308 cross, it’s a 1/2 Moa rifle with many loads. Right now shooting 137 hammers at 2950 FPS out of it. Could go faster but it’s well under half inch with this load. It’s a very handy hunting rifle, no complaints. Just got a buck last weekend with it.
What powder are you using? Still 16”?

VernAK

WKR
I haven't shot a Cross but have shot the Q Fix and carried it a bit. It performs well for the owner but it's just not my choice as I don't like the large magazine and pistol grip hanging down. I'm admittedly fussy about rifle fit and handling like a fine shotgun. I prefer not even having a sling on my rifles so all that nuts and bolts stuff doesn't get it for me.

Mojave

WKR
I think in life people change what they like. I have owned things like a Blaser K95 single shot (the American classic stocked version) and quite a few M70 Super grades.

At 50 I prefer function over form. Which is a pretty solid departure from the me of a long time ago.

So I'd rather hunt with something that has higher function.

Weldor

WKR
No complaints here, I have hunted 2 yrs with mine. It is the 308 very accurate.

dla

WKR
Yeah still 16 inch, I haven’t done anything to it. I’m using 8208 xbr, I ran out of case capacity before I reached any pressure.
Although 16" seems sub-optimal for 308, we run 165gr @2600+fps using 8208 with good accuracy. The rifle has a brake, excellent trigger and is easy to shoot. And of course it folds up nicely for carrying in/on a pack.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I checked one out at a LGS a couple weeks ago. Very light but I think the barrel length is too short. Should be a minimum of 20" which would not amount to a large increase in weight.

My .02

Although 16" seems sub-optimal for 308, we run 165gr @2600+fps using 8208 with good accuracy. The rifle has a brake, excellent trigger and is easy to shoot. And of course it folds up nicely for carrying in/on a pack.
I use to think varget or rl15 was the magic 308 powder. After finding 8208 i believe I was wrong. I just wish I could find some more.