SIG SAUER STEPS into the 15x platform

No problem mentioning them but those are considerably more than these SIGs. Personally I don’t need a rangefinder in my 15x as I’d never hunt with just the 15x, but would have a lower power bino with a rangefinder around my neck. 15x are about worthless once the stalk begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had no intentions of causing a stir or try to hi-jack a thread, was just adding another option to the "class option" list you provided

Also Robby, You were comparing the SIG to Swaro SLC's which cost even more than the Geovids, so a little confused about your cost statement here?

Again my apologies, You were listing prices you saw on the internet in the 15x56 class and simply wanted to put out another option...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I had no intentions of causing a stir or try to hi-jack a thread, was just adding another option to the "class option" list you provided

Also Robby, You were comparing the SIG to Swaro SLC's which cost even more than the Geovids, so a little confused about your cost statement here?

Again my apologies, You were listing prices you saw on the internet in the 15x56 class and simply wanted to put out another option...

Yip I did mention them so we had something to compare the SIGs to in performance. Like I said, no worries on mentioning the Leicas. It’s all good

freebird

WKR
It would be interesting to see how the Sig's compare to the Maven's.....I have read both reviews by Robby and Jordan.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It would be interesting to see how the Sig's compare to the Maven's.....I have read both reviews by Robby and Jordan.

I wish we could have got them together for that. Jordan sold hers so until another set comes my way, it’s a guess.

My guess is Sig would win on ergonomics but the glass would be very close. Just pulled that out of my ear so take it for what it’s worth.

Rawmeat

FNG
I picked up a floor model. I like the feel of everything and eyecups are nice. Haven't tested the glass much, but it looks good.

Disappointed that the weight is actually 46.4 oz with out lens caps. Not a dealbreaker or anything, I just can't believe they blatantly lie when advertising 43 oz.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I picked a floor model. I like the feel of everything and eyecups are nice. Haven't tested thr glass much, but it looks good.

Disappointed that the weight is actually 46.4 oz with out lens caps. Not a dealbreaker or anything, I just can't believe they blatantly lie when advertising 43 oz.

probably not a blatant lie, but more like QC. I can't remember if I weighed mine or not.

Let us know what you think when you get some time on them.

Rawmeat

FNG
probably not a blatant lie, but more like QC. I can't remember if I weighed mine or not.

Let us know what you think when you get some time on them.

Maybe blatant lie was a little strong, but it does seem like some of these companies exaggerate these weights to the lighter side until you actually put the final product on a scale.

By the way, thanks for the reviews Robby. I had never even heard of the Sig Sauer 15x56 until seeing your review. They helped me make my decision and these things look and feel very well built.

Optically do you know if the Zulu7 and 9 are the same quality? I was looking at the Zulu7 12x and wondering if they would be worth trying.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe blatant lie was a little strong, but it does seem like some of these companies exaggerate these weights to the lighter side until you actually put the final product on a scale.

By the way, thanks for the reviews Robby. I had never even heard of the Sig Sauer 15x56 until seeing your review. They helped me make my decision and these things look and feel very well built.

No worries man. It seems like in all our reviews that companies come in on both sides of
Listed weights, some low, some high.

Glad the reviews are helpful. Part of the reason I do them is to help people make better decisions. We don’t always have to break the bank. Keep us posted.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Optically do you know if the Zulu7 and 9 are the same quality? I was looking at the Zulu7 12x and wondering if they would be worth trying.

Hey bud, I haven’t tried anything in the 7 line, just the 5 and 9. The 5 did very well for the money so I’d speculate the 7s will perform. If SIG is at Expo, I’ll see what I can find out. Watch that Expo thread in the general discussion thread.

Hey bud, I haven’t tried anything in the 7 line, just the 5 and 9. The 5 did very well for the money so I’d speculate the 7s will perform. If SIG is at Expo, I’ll see what I can find out. Watch that Expo thread in the general discussion thread.

Try to get an impression on the glass of the RF binos too.

Rawmeat

FNG
Had a little time with the Zulu 9 15x the other day. The glass looks great. It was during a bright and clear day though.

At -6 degrees the focus knob is STIFF. To the point that I had to grab it with thumb and finger and really twist hard to move it. Maybe this will loosen overtime. My 8 year old Razors were buttery smooth in same conditions.

The lens covers really are as terrible as others have said. It does seem kind of crazy that they would make a premium binocular with objective covers that are actually unusable, not sure how they missed that one. I actually like good covers because my binos usually go in my pack without a case.

I look foward to using these more this summer and fall. I don't have anything to directly compare them to, so to my eyes I am sure they will look great. I am definitely no optics expert.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Had a little time with the Zulu 9 15x the other day. The glass looks great. It was during a bright and clear day though.

At -6 degrees the focus knob is STIFF. To the point that I had to grab it with thumb and finger and really twist hard to move it. Maybe this will loosen overtime. My 8 year old Razors were buttery smooth in same conditions.

The lens covers really are as terrible as others have said. It does seem kind of crazy that they would make a premium binocular with objective covers that are actually unusable, not sure how they missed that one. I actually like good covers because my binos usually go in my pack without a case.

I look foward to using these more this summer and fall. I don't have anything to directly compare them to, so to my eyes I am sure they will look great. I am definitely no optics expert.

Thanks for your input on these. I did not know that about the focus knob as my tests were mostly above freezing. @Justin Crossley has mine right now so maybe he can let us know if he’s experienced that.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Try to get an impression on the glass of the RF binos too.
Hey man, @Travis Bertrand hit the SIG booth for you and shot a video on those RFs. It’s on our Expo thread in general discussion forum, page 4, post 73 approximately, in full site mode. He talked to them about the 7s too. Hoping he can chime in here on that subject

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your input on these. I did not know that about the focus knob as my tests were mostly above freezing. @Justin Crossley has mine right now so maybe he can let us know if he’s experienced that.

The coldest temps I've used them in are the mid 20's and I noticed more stiffness but not terrible.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Problem with this review is the author only had one sample of each binocular.
It sucks but is true that there is sample variation even in $1500 glass.
You can have a stellar example of one makers model against a shitty example of another makers model.
From my experience this is less likely with Swarovski. So safe bet.
However I would put my particular Zeiss Conquest HD against any Meopta or Sig/Leupold/Maven/Styrka.