Sight pin alignment

Arrows move in straight lines. They might porpoise or fishtail, but that's arrow movement within a straight line. They aren't going to go one direction and correct themselves into a different direction.

I'm just saying this to say it has to be something you are doing. Not that you aren't experiencing what your experiencing, just it's has to be something you are doing.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
There is more going on here than just the sight. Your pin gaps are all over the place as well. Pin gaps shouldn't vary like that. They might get a bit wider as you stretch out to longer distances, but the variance you have is indicative of a form issue. If it were me, I would start fresh. Focus on getting your 1st pin dialed with the same repeatable anchor point, grip, center the sight housing in the peep (circle in the circle), good form and follow through. After that center your next pin on the wire and set your gap as needed, paying attention to proper anchor, grip, form, and follow through. Repeat the process for the remaining pins paying attention to your anchor, grip, form, and follow through. If you do it right, everything will work itself out and your pins will all be in a straight line with very uniform gaps.

OP
A
There is more going on here than just the sight. Your pin gaps are all over the place as well. Pin gaps shouldn't vary like that. They might get a bit wider as you stretch out to longer distances, but the variance you have is indicative of a form issue. If it were me, I would start fresh. Focus on getting your 1st pin dialed with the same repeatable anchor point, grip, center the sight housing in the peep (circle in the circle), good form and follow through. After that center your next pin on the wire and set your gap as needed, paying attention to proper anchor, grip, form, and follow through. Repeat the process for the remaining pins paying attention to your anchor, grip, form, and follow through. If you do it right, everything will work itself out and your pins will all be in a straight line with very uniform gaps.
You’re right. I recently restrung my bow, got a new peep, new release, increased draw from 63 to 69. A lot going on. When all of this happened I had to adjust my sight a bit and am still in the process of dialing in my pins for the new weight and peep. So my vertical spacing is very close, but not dialed. The issue is that even before the modification process (when my pins were appropriately spaced respective to their distance/drop) my 30 pin was still left of center in relation to the other pins. All the same I agree with you

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
You’re right. I recently restrung my bow, got a new peep, new release, increased draw from 63 to 69. A lot going on. When all of this happened I had to adjust my sight a bit and am still in the process of dialing in my pins for the new weight and peep. So my vertical spacing is very close, but not dialed. The issue is that even before the modification process (when my pins were appropriately spaced respective to their distance/drop) my 30 pin was still left of center in relation to the other pins. All the same I agree with you
I'd think that if it was a color issue you should be seeing the same thing with your 4th pin as well. It might just be mental, you expect it to hit there so it does. It's amazing how your body will react slightly to make things happen. Try putting all your pins centered on the wire and mentally beat it into your head that your second pin cannot be out of line with the rest. Pay attention to little things you might be doing that would screw up your shot. I had an issue where my 40 yard pin gap was way out of whack with my other pins. I knew it couldn't be right, but it always hit where I was aiming. Turned out when I'd back up to 40 I would drop my bow on the follow through and watch the arrow flight. I had to beat it into my head over and over, but finally got it fixed. If all else fails, it could be starbursting on the red pin. Put some electrical tape over the clear wrap housing to dim things up and see if that helps. I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's more likely something in your form/shot execution though. Good luck!

OP
A
I'd think that if it was a color issue you should be seeing the same thing with your 4th pin as well. It might just be mental, you expect it to hit there so it does. It's amazing how your body will react slightly to make things happen. Try putting all your pins centered on the wire and mentally beat it into your head that your second pin cannot be out of line with the rest. Pay attention to little things you might be doing that would screw up your shot. I had an issue where my 40 yard pin gap was way out of whack with my other pins. I knew it couldn't be right, but it always hit where I was aiming. Turned out when I'd back up to 40 I would drop my bow on the follow through and watch the arrow flight. I had to beat it into my head over and over, but finally got it fixed. If all else fails, it could be starbursting on the red pin. Put some electrical tape over the clear wrap housing to dim things up and see if that helps. I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's more likely something in your form/shot execution though. Good luck!
Hahaha I hope it’s just that easy. If it is I’m certainly going to will all my arrows to fly right to the aorta. It is a great suggestion. Before I move pins I’m going to follow up with 5 Shot’s suggestion. I think that will tell me if what you’re saying is holding true. I’m off to shoot, I’ll keep you posted

I'd recommend first resetting all pins in line with the reference wire and verifying the sight's second axis. Then stretch a piece of tape vertically across your target and shoot at various ranges focusing on consistent anchor/consistent grip/bubble centered in the level and aiming to keep the pins centered over the tape line. The purpose of the tape line is to avoid having to aim for a particular spot and to allow you to ignore vertical aiming and focus solely on horizontal aiming. Gang-adjust your sight's windage based on where the arrows are hitting relative to the tape line.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Something also to be aware of is some people have a hard time looking "through" the pin and want to hold it not on the bullseye because if they do that they cant see the bullseye. My brother was doing this with his 5 pin and once we figured it out he just had to make a mental game to look through the pin and not around it. He also switched to 10 pins instead of 19 and 29 pins.

It can also compounded by color he was having the most problems with red and switched to yellow/amber and green.

OP
A
Something also to be aware of is some people have a hard time looking "through" the pin and want to hold it not on the bullseye because if they do that they cant see the bullseye. My brother was doing this with his 5 pin and once we figured it out he just had to make a mental game to look through the pin and not around it. He also switched to 10 pins instead of 19 and 29 pins.

It can also compounded by color he was having the most problems with red and switched to yellow/amber and green.
I’m 100% going to do this. I’m getting way too much star too. Thanks

OP
A
First off, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. Secondly, I hate you all. Turns out I was torquing my shots at certain distances. However, it was great for me to get my ego deflated and realize I was the problem instead of some strange tuning issue. Third, thanks for the suggestion on smaller pins and canceling out some light. Much better

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
First off, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. Secondly, I hate you all. Turns out I was torquing my shots at certain distances. However, it was great for me to get my ego deflated and realize I was the problem instead of some strange tuning issue. Third, thanks for the suggestion on smaller pins and canceling out some light. Much better

Glad you figured it out. Videoing your form and shots is another way to get humbled really quickly. Some really good archers on here do it to keep themselves sharp.

I personally shoot 10 pins in amber and green with a big ole bullseye. That way I can focus on shot form and sequence and less about nailing the bullseye. In turn I nail the bullseye easier and more frequently. Also help stave off target panic.

Would have been a lot more entertaining if you had just gone off and told everyone we didn't know what we were talking about.

Those can get fun, tho probably not the best for the forum as a whole.

YankyMate

FNG
Are you always shooting in the same place?

I suspect that something is happening that is causing you to either cant your bow, or the lighting is weird in some spots and makes you look thru the peep differently. There's no way your arrows are flying off to one side then correcting and coming back after 35 yards.
I would guess looking through your peep different is the cause.

Or your anchor is inconsistent, face pressure is inconsistent, smashing your release etc etc. You're not curving arrows.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Need some help. I have a problem with something and I can’t be sure where the problem is. On my five pin sight my 20 pin is centered, my 30 pin jumps considerably to the left, then the remaining 40, 50, 60 pins go back to the right and then start walking back to be mostly centered vertically in the sight.

This arrangement gets me on the center of the target wherever I’m aiming.
Help
I would ensure paper tuning or overall bow tune is correct first. Also, do you shoot with both eyes open or some partially squinted? I have noticed that shooting with both eyes open vs one closed my left and right will noticeably change. I would look closely at the pins and make sure nothing is bent. You can also scribe a perfectly plum line on a wall and then level you bow and sight and make sure that when all is level your pins and that vertical wire run perfectly level. It is possible that the bubble was set improperly in your sight. This is all stuff I confirmed with Chris from spot Hogg. Most likely it has something to do with you and the bow tune.

OP
A
Would have been a lot more entertaining if you had just gone off and told everyone we didn't know what we were talking about.

Those can get fun, tho probably not the best for the forum as a whole.
It definitely would’ve been funny to some, but I think the overall sarcasm would’ve been lost. It was just a good reminder that regardless of how well you shoot, when you have a problem go right back to the basics. Elk don’t care about your ego

OP
A
Glad you figured it out. Videoing your form and shots is another way to get humbled really quickly. Some really good archers on here do it to keep themselves sharp.

I personally shoot 10 pins in amber and green with a big ole bullseye. That way I can focus on shot form and sequence and less about nailing the bullseye. In turn I nail the bullseye easier and more frequently. Also help stave off target panic.
I’m definitely going to 10. Thanks for putting that on my radar. Is there any specific reason the amber and green, or do you just like those colors? From the picture you can see I have a five pin sight. Do you have any experience with the blue and/or clear?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I just researched on which pins stay brightest the longest. Green, followed by amber and red seems to dim out first. Followed that with I personally didnt like the red and found it distracting to my eyes. I only run a 3 pin and its a dual slider. 20 amber, 35 green and 50 green.

No experience with the blue or clear. However if i was really hating money I would do clear single pin on my play / target bow and put a zbros light on it so I could change the pin color.

OP
A
I just researched on which pins stay brightest the longest. Green, followed by amber and red seems to dim out first. Followed that with I personally didnt like the red and found it distracting to my eyes. I only run a 3 pin and its a dual slider. 20 amber, 35 green and 50 green.

No experience with the blue or clear. However if i was really hating money I would do clear single pin on my play / target bow and put a zbros light on it so I could change the pin color.
Thanks for looking into it. That’s the first I heard of that specific color changing sight. I definitely don’t hate money enough to put it on that.
However, I hate my red pin so much that I’m definitely going to get rid of it, change it to blue, and reorganize my colors to benefit low light/distance situation. I think I’ll also buy the clear, just because I’m curious.

Edan

FNG
I couldn't read every post but this is a perfect situation for a walk back tune not only paper tune. this is most likely an issue that will be corrected there.

Edit: Even though you figured this out, I love a walk back tune after I shoot paper, do it for all my clients and have seen these issues work out nicely there sometimes with a mm or 2 movement of the rest or emphasizing anchor point and sight picture. Glad you got it figured out. Dudley does a great job explaining a walk back tune if you have never done it before.

Marble

WKR
Glad you got it figured out. Super common thing.

Let me guess.. was it the closer distances that you were torquing at?

Learn how that sight is adjusted. It is awesome once you understand it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk