Sight pins for elk

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I have always been set up with 20, 30, 40, and 50 as a sliding pin. Anyone use same setup without the 20 pin for elk. At short range holding a couple inches low would be fairly easy and even without holding low the 30 pin would still be in the vitals.

Sled

WKR
i run my pin at 30 yards and hold over or under for most shots. since i use a slider i will dial for longer shots when needed. with fixed pins, i'd feel comfortable with a 30 and 45/50 yard pin depending on arrow speed.

jnordwell

FNG
I run a 3 pin slider now use to run a 5 then a 7 and a single. Thinking hold over or under is simple for a close shot is true on paper.. throw a elk in the mix. Things go on auto pilot pin on target... not hold over or under. Missed a cow with the single pin.. had it set for 27 yards hold over or under to 40....missed low that morning... killed a bull the next when I had to time range and adjust pin..freezers don’t get full with hold over or unders . K.i.s.s

Same set up i use for deer. First pin is at 30. Ends up and inch high at 20. Then 40, 50, 60. It is also a slider incase i want to shoot out past 60.

i would personally keep my single pin set at 30 and be prepared to adjust for a longer shot. hold low for anything closer. the bows these days shoot so flat i feel the confusion of extra pins is hard for me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have always been set up with 20, 30, 40, and 50 as a sliding pin. Anyone use same setup without the 20 pin for elk.

Are you asking about getting rid of one pin......and that pin being your 20? So you end up with a 3 pin sight instead? If it were me, I'd just keep the 4-pin setup.......but I've been using a 7-pin sight for years, so all the pins don't bother me.

OP
J

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I run a 3 pin slider now use to run a 5 then a 7 and a single. Thinking hold over or under is simple for a close shot is true on paper.. throw a elk in the mix. Things go on auto pilot pin on target... not hold over or under. Missed a cow with the single pin.. had it set for 27 yards hold over or under to 40....missed low that morning... killed a bull the next when I had to time range and adjust pin..freezers don’t get full with hold over or unders . K.i.s.s
KISS is the reason for this question. At 20 yards a 30 pin is only couple inches high so if you dont hold under and you do your part it should still be a good lethal shot. I dont see it being any more difficult to remember holding under at 20 then remebering pins as long as you practice.

Are you asking about getting rid of one pin......and that pin being your 20? So you end up with a 3 pin sight instead? If it were me, I'd just keep the 4-pin setup.......but I've been using a 7-pin sight for years, so all the pins don't bother me.

Yes exactly. I wouldnt shoot over 50 unless I was to get a follow up shot and would only shoot past 40 if conditions were perfect. I dont care to have any pins past 50. I dont mind 4 pins but I am starting to lean towards a 20 pin not being needed for hunting purposes.

I have no interest in a single pin. I feel like conditions change too fast. I dont want to try and dial anything in. Holding over/under for my ranges would probably be just as easy with a single pin with enough practice but right now I am confortable with multiple pins.

NstihL

FNG
I run a 3-pin slider with pins for 20, 30, 40. I have the top pin set as my slider as I like the sight picture and if an animal moves further, I can use the 2nd or 3rd pin if needed.

IdahoHntr

WKR
Lose the 20 yard pin! I did it and love it. I am set up with a 3 pin slider set up for 30-40-50. I hit an inch high at 20 yards if I use my 30 yard pin. That is not enough to effect anything, especially at 20 yards. If I remember to aim low or whether I just aim with the 30 yard pin, it isn't going to matter. At 20 yards my worst possible shots while aiming with a 30 yard pin are still within vitals of an elk by a long ways. There's just no reason I can think of for using a 20 yard pin anymore.

In my opinion this is the best compromise for having an uncluttered sight picture while still having pins to cover all normal hunting distances without having to slide.

OP
J

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I am not looking to change my sight setup other then maybe removing the 20 pin. Hoping to get a few people who have experience just using their 30 pin for anything 30 yards and closer and their experience with this type of set up. Was it good or bad? did you stick with it or go back to using a 20 pin? Did you hold under for shorter shots or not?

Gumbo

WKR
That is an interesting idea, I might play with it. I shoot 6 pins (20-70) on slider and fixed sights with a big housing. Is 20 needed? Probably not for most hunting, but having the reference might be easier for my brain to compute than holding under. And what would happen on steep shots at close range on deer? I also like being really precise at 20 in the off season. I really wouldn't want to have a different sight picture for different species or targets, that would totally eff me up.

OP
J

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot an option archery sight - 20, 30 and 40 yard fixed pins and a slider from 0-100+

This is what I am running as well. I have my slider pin set at 50. I am pretty sure I am going to drop my 20 pin though. Will have to try a few steep angle shots to see if there is any significant difference. I dont hunt from a stand so my angles wont be as steep as some. I dont think i will worry about holding under. At that range 1.5" wont make a difference for hunting.

Sled

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I am not looking to change my sight setup other then maybe removing the 20 pin. Hoping to get a few people who have experience just using their 30 pin for anything 30 yards and closer and their experience with this type of set up. Was it good or bad? did you stick with it or go back to using a 20 pin? Did you hold under for shorter shots or not?

with a 30 pin, don't forget to hold high if the bull is dripping snot on you. it's counter intuitive but for shots under 30' your hold over/under flips. at 7 feet my bows use a 55-60 yard pin.

AndyB

WKR
with a 30 pin, don't forget to hold high if the bull is dripping snot on you. it's counter intuitive but for shots under 30' your hold over/under flips. at 7 feet my bows use a 55-60 yard pin.

At what yardage is the flip point for you?

Rob5589

WKR
Whatever set up you use, practice, practice, practice. I tried an oddball set up a few years ago that cost me a buck. 35+ years of 20-30-40-50 and so on was so engrained, that I basically went on auto pilot, forgetting all about my new set up.