Sight Tape Accuracy

Brendan

WKR
Personally, I never make a mark at 20, usually not accurate enough. I start at 30, and go out from there. But if everything 30-80 is good, you should be okay.

What's the process you're using to generate the tape? Is it by sight clicks using a micro-adjust sight? e.g. with my spot hogg I'd enter something like 30 yards = 9+1, 50 yards = 20+4 to correspond to the major and minor numbers / clicks on the dial. And the program knows the sight moves something like .004" per click and uses those numbers combined with peep height and sight radius to make the calculation. But - you mentioned calipers. What measurements are you taking and how are you using them?

Also - same as Billy Goat said, are you making an entry for number of fletching, fletching size / length, offset / helical? If so, sounds like your setup could be exhibiting less drag than expected.

Never used AA, going off of how I do it in OT2 / SFAX.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
If your tape is off at the distances further than you shot your tape in for then the issue is not your tape.

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
I just started using the pre-made tapes from MBG on both my bows. Hoyt Turbo clocked an 562 grn arrow at 279 fps, i used a 276 fps tape (4 pin). Elite clocked a 436 grn arrow at 292, used a 288 fps tape (single pin).

So far, everything lines up. On my hoyt, 99 is 100 but will be running broadheads through to ensure that my 100 mark is 100. Will have to add tape and mark my further ranges, but this system has been working decently for me so far. Will be resighting my Elite with lighted nocks and a 4 pin housing. Assume that will bring me down to a similar speed as my hoyt.

What i've done before is used painters tape and marked 20 - 100. Then take reloading calipers and measure your distance. After this, find the correct pairing if pre made tapes are available. No experience using any software to generate tapes.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Thanks guys, Billy, I shot some 3 fletch arrows today that were 5gr lighter but with a higher FOC and Max Stealth vanes. Both arrows are very similar, at 90 yards they grouped almost identical, if anything I would say the 3 vanes were slightly lower. The 6 fletch are actually lighter vanes than the 3 fletch at 3.8gr each compared to about 8 for the max stealth.

Brenden, I was measuring with a caliper and entering the measurement in AA, however this afternoon I noticed that AA was defaulting to a metric tape. I converted everything over and have a tape that is a lot closer. I haven’t totally found a perfect one but it prints several faster and slower when you print so I’ll see where they end up after shooting this one for a while.

The first group at 100 was on the money for 5 arrows, i then shot 7 arrows counting the 2, three fletch from 90-60 and they were all pretty close. I’ve shoot a lot the last few days so I’m not going to decide anything after that sending that many arrows down range. I defiantly feel like I’ll be able to find a tape that is very close. I do think the 6 small fletchings have less drag and tend to fly better down range, but I have pins for 20-60 anyway so I’m not worried if those end up a little fast.