Sighting in

Mckinnon

WKR
Where do you guys zero your rifle in at, 1 inch high at 100, 300, 250, etc? And do you choose different zero's for different calibers?

I currently have my .243 at 1 inch high at 100 yds which allows me to hold dead on from 0-300 yds with my current loads.
For my .250 savage I zero at 100 exactly as I use this rifle primarily for super brushy country where I won't even have much of a chance of shooting at 150 yds, much less beyond it.

I am setting up a 300 win mag right now and hoping for some input.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I most often zero my rifles for a 200 yard zero. However, I will make trajectory compensations past 200 yards with either a holdover reticle or turret adjustment. If you are trying to get the sight-in specs for your load for Maximum Point Blank Range(MPBR), you can just put your load's information into a reliable ballistic calculator, and it will give you the MPBR sight in information.

I like the JBM Ballistics calculator, just google it.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
For my ballistics, I sight in at 300 yds. It translates to 3.1 inches high at 100, 3.6 at 200, 7.6 drop at 400. 20 at 500. That is shooting a 7mag 168gr vld 3100fps.

Anything at to 400 requires minimal thinking, after that, turrets come into play. Hope this helps, I think 300 win mag guys might be able to help you out more seeming zero's change by person and caliber.

7mag.

WKR
I sight my 7mag. in at an inch and a half high at 200 yards. That way I can hold dead on out to 300, upper third at 400, and top of shoulder at 500. I don't generally shoot past 400 while hunting, unless conditions are good.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Yup 7Mag. I would also limit myself to 400 in order to be comfortable. Thanks for all the input guys!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm right with Drhorsepower with my 7 Mag, except I'm 11" low at 400 and 24" low at 500 when tested at the range. This is with a 160 Speer Boat Tail in front of 61 grains of R19,.

I like to shoot 7 mags at a 300 yard dead on, which allows for on-body holds to about 425 or so and not be more than 5 inches high at the closer yardages.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
I am headed out this weekend with the rifle with my intended hunting load: 180 gr winchester power point in front of some IMR 4064. This load groups incredibly well at 100, now im gonna dial it in at 300 and see how i like shooting from 50-400 yds after that, will update.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Ever hear of (The Rule Of Three)? Basically what it amounts to is for most hi-powers, if you sight in 3 inches hi at 100 yds, you should be able to hold dead on out to 300 yds +.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Ya Robby, it a winchester model 70 chambered in 300 win mag. I took it out today and it shot like a dream. I started out by dialing it in at 300. then I ended up shooting milk jugs at 700 consistently. I like the 30o yard zero for now. Thanks for all of the input guys!

FURMAN

WKR
Every one of my rifles is sighted in at 200yds. I have target/tactical turrets on all but one which has a Rapid-Z 800 reticle. I used to use an Android app to calculate the turret setting. Now I have a G7 BR2 range finder and I am considering replacing the Rapid-Z with something a little more precise.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sent my Leupold VX2 scope back to Leupold a few years back and changed out the reticle having the custom shop put in an LR Duplex crosshairs. They take your bullet and other information so that your main dot is dialed in for your zero at your specified distance. You then have 3 further dots dialed in at your further distances. For my 7mm shooting a 154 grain sst hornady my zero is at 220 and the further dots are then at 330, 440 and 550. This coincided with the range that I shoot at. The expense was minimal about $75 and they had the scope back in about 2 weeks. For anyone with a Leupold scope and looking at a different reticle this is a very inexpensive way to modify the scope without having to buy another scope. They also have other custom work that you can do.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ross, cool beans!
I really don't want to mess with turrets, and really like my VariX III (2.5 x 8) but bought it before they started with the dots as standard. This is good to know.

Questions:

1) Do you know if they can install the dots my scope?

2) Are the dots set to a certain power adjustment, i.e. are they set for 8x only or are they accurate at any setting?

Thanks

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Rock 2.0
700 yard milk jugs = dead critters this fall. That's good shooting.

The 300 yard zero on my 7mm Rem Mag has served me well for 20 years. Just have to be careful shooting at 150-200 yards as I'm about 5" high at those yardages.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Ross, cool beans!
I really don't want to mess with turrets, and really like my VariX III (2.5 x 8) but bought it before they started with the dots as standard. This is good to know.

Questions:

1) Do you know if they can install the dots my scope?

2) Are the dots set to a certain power adjustment, i.e. are they set for 8x only or are they accurate at any setting?

Thanks

Robby, I am not Ross, but I am familiar with Leupold's custom reticles. The Vari-X III line was completely equipped with second focal plane reticles, so the reticle is subtended only at a certain power (almost always the highest power).

Leupold did do custom reticles in the Vari-X III line, and I don't see why they couldn't now.

1-800-LEUPOLD should be able to give you the final word.

Another thing to consider is other companies also offer similar ballistic reticles. I really like Vortex' Dead-Hold BDC. It is subtended at max power also, and the stadia lines are in increasing increments of MOA, so it is very easy to get precise drops using a reliable trajectory calculator.

Check out the reticle here:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...escope-with-dead-hold-bdc-moa-reticle/reticle

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
thanks BB, I'll check it out. Higher power only is fine. If I'm shooting at longer ranges, I'm always on 8x anyway.