Sighting

Crazy (rookie) question.

Does the rifle/scope need to be sighted to the shooter?

I’m shooting a Browning Hells Canyon 7mag with a VX6HD 4x24x50.

I had a friend sight my rifle in and it is dead on. However, when I shoot I am off two inches at about 2 o clock. My groupings are consistent. He shoots again and he’s on.

This this shooter error on my part or should I sight it in myself?

Any advice is welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
Theoretically the impact point should be the same as it's mechanical. It appears there is a difference in technique as you surmised. I see it most often when there is a disparity in height and arm length between shooters.

OP
SouthernPoint
Theoretically the impact point should be the same as it's mechanical. It appears there is a difference in technique as you surmised. I see it most often when there is a disparity in height and arm length between shooters.

I was think that too but I recalled having to sight my M1A1 with iron sights and recall the instructor saying the gun has to be sighted in to the shooter and someone couldn’t just come pick it up and it be on.

I know it’s different but was my thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
when ever i help someone sight in i will just get it sort of close and then give the rife to them to finish. sometimes they may shoot a 3 inch group when i know i could just watch the flags and shoot under an inch but it is their rifle and that is how it is going to be used.

JakeSCH

WKR
Heck even shooting off a bag on a bench vs prone off a bipod can cause different POI. Consistent POI is about the entire rifle reacting the same way every single time (w/ consistent ammo)

Big difference is in POI between shooters how the rifle reacts during the firing process. Muzzle rise (direction and amount), how far back it travels, etc.

Best thing you can do is do a final sight in yourself and practice / become proficient at any distance you plan to game at.