Sigma 60-600 Sports

strongarm

FNG
Seeking others' experiences with the Sigma 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports.

Pros, cons, and general impressions from use in the field.

I'm generally not a fan of one size fits most when it comes to just about anything, and for photography prefer more dedicated-use lenses. That stated, the broad range of the 60-600mm is attractive for being able to pare-down from my full kit for long days on the trail and in the woods seeking critters.

We sell a lot of the 150-600mm Sigma, in both sport and contemporary. Very sharp. Only 4 Lbs vs about 6 for the 60-600. Plus a lot less $$ as well. We have a lot of local birders and they all rave about the accuracy of the color reproduction

OP
S

strongarm

FNG
@Camera Land
Thank you. I had originally decided on the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary due to the weight savings over the Sport since this thing will be on my back a lot of the time. This, plus the 150-600 Contemporary would give me some capacity for here-and-there handheld shots in quick response situations...4.25# vs. 6.3# is a big difference...not to mention the cost differential.

I was heading down that 150-600 Contemporary path pretty far. Then I began to worry about some of the weatherproofing, staring to get a bit nervous, and paused. I began thinking more realistically about the environments where I'll use this which are often less than ideal with precipitation.

During that pause is when I found the 60-600mm Sport. It's slightly less weight than the 150-600mm Sport, though probably not appreciably different. Given this slight weight reduction and the fact it's a shorter lens, it seems like the balance overall might make those occasional handheld shots may be more manageable.

Good to hear about the clarity of the 150-600mm! I imagine the 60-600mm would be on par with that (though admittedly probably less at either ends of the range)?

Jeff338

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a friend that has won some of the largest photo contest in the world with this lens Photographer of the year Africa, Natures best Africa, PPA world cup and has over 3,000,000 photos take with it. It looks like it was drug behind a truck but it still going and back in Africa right now.